BM-21 GRAD (Trumpeter 1/35)

Hello :)

Welcome to the training ground. :bomb:

c3154acf85d052aaed381d3b44d492b3.jpg

This is my first model on wheels alone without tracks but another Soviet development in NATO colours in the service of the Polish Army. Of the extras there are DEF weighted wheels, road priority signs and decals from TORO and URAL lettering from a colleague on another forum. I also did some modifications on my own to get closer to the version used in the Polish Army from unused parts from other models. I hope you will like it :)

a26ec07d9a6b4652ae6be96f86a9b120.jpg

e1cbe9c61a1d0a5f8744122441cf4d0e.jpg

13ae98f37bb59e4bacf48487821bd1b9.jpg

775730dc54ba7ef56cc57603531ea306.jpg

90b6c87b266ae55496a5655b19d267b5.jpg

85343078aaf20322a7d25027c9b8b770.jpg

aaf192156988aaa6f15d3fe98897f324.jpg

9fbe24e977f9085f0302ae32f2f8503d.jpg

a368e6b8b65e7528e3c74cec1fa57ed2.jpg

f669f8f701bd85b3cc5f71a227b4194c.jpg

5c0cf46683bb1f78b51d344257fe4274.jpg

3411da88b9ce6cb1a67657154446619e.jpg

And two more photos in the atmosphere of the training ground.

c0ad42ab0f672e2bc8c72600af36f5ef.jpg

db095780895400eb3ede0a59d92113b0.jpg

And if it had taken place for example in the 1960s, it would have looked like this ;)

5a1f0f44e49f6e3ed74928058d9f7131.jpg

*All photos with the landscape in the background are after graphic processing. The actual condition of the model is best represented by photos with a white background.

• Like 39
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, glibble said:

Really nice paint job mate! Especially love the smooth fading on the engine hood!

Thank you. I tried not to get the model too dirty. From a distance it looks quite clean and the close-up of the engine hood is just to show that it is a bit dusty. I'm glad you like the effect.

5 hours ago, Milan Mynar said:

Great work, especially the flame.

4 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

Very impressive indeed! Love the flame!!

Thanks guys. To be honest, I didn't really believe it would work with this flame because I came up with the idea when it was too late to set up the intalation with LED lighting. But I stated at least I would try and somehow it worked out.

2 hours ago, providence said:

Great work, very dynamic ! What did you use to make the flame?

Thank you for this feedback. I am very pleased that you can see the dynamics in this work, which is after all completely static. But modelling is also such an illusion, so I am very satisfied that you can see here something more than just a model standing still.

I made the flame from cotton wool on a wire frame. To stiffen it was lightly sprayed with hairspray and then painted with Tamiya Clear Yellow and Clear Orange. Finally lightened in a few places with white paint.

2 hours ago, PF Naughton said:

Hi, that looks phenomenal 😮

Thank you. I'm really glad you like this model.

4 hours ago, Patrykd said:

Tu też rządzisz :)

:rofl: Patryku, ja nawet u siebie w domu nie rządzę. Ale dzięki 👍

Edited by Tom W.

Amazing work! Ural with MLRS “Grad” looks very neat and realistic. But with stand and purple flowers added it becomes 99% like a real one! 

Edited by tMikha
  • Thanks 1

Superb, always liked your armour builds and this is at least equal of, if not better!

Excellent job with the paint and the light weathering, particularly like the effect on the tyres.

Brilliant base and foliage too!

Great modelling 

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

On 01/09/2022 at 15:03, tMikha said:

Amazing work! Ural with MLRS “Grad” looks very neat and realistic. But with stand and purple flowers added it becomes 99% like a real one!

On 01/09/2022 at 22:32, StuartH said:

Superb work and I love the presentation. Really brings it to life

On 02/09/2022 at 07:48, Maddoxx77 said:

This is a great model! Everything is spot on. The vehicle, the base, the rocket firing away. Superb!

On 03/09/2022 at 11:12, Jasper dog said:

Superb, always liked your armour builds and this is at least equal of, if not better!

Excellent job with the paint and the light weathering, particularly like the effect on the tyres.

Brilliant base and foliage too!

Great modelling 

Darryl 

On 31/08/2022 at 00:07, Lightningboy2000 said:

Brilliant! Very impressive!

On 31/08/2022 at 09:15, Bullbasket said:

Clever!! And very realistic. Great work.

John.

On 31/08/2022 at 20:33, Pete Robin said:

Wow! Top work.

Regards

Pete

Wow! I honestly didn't expect so many comments on a vehicle that is probably little known in the west part of the world. Thank you for your kind feedback. I am very pleased that after six months of work with this model the end result has been appreciated by so many modellers. Once again, thank you very much.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Wow! I honestly didn't expect so many comments on a vehicle that is probably little known in the west part of the world.

You know, there are many modellers from different parts of the world here 😀

Really, I’ve not dealt with GRAD, but diuring my 1 year of military conscription, I had dealt with Ural and GAZ “Sadko” as well. And always was impressed how tough are theese all-terrain vehicles. Especially Ural. Sometimes I thought “No, guys! It’s impossible to drive over this on the car!”

But as a result it was possible for Ural💪

• Like 1

It was only the other day that I saw a photo of one of these doing exactly that by the Ukrainian Army. The photo was on a UA news feed on Facebook. It was pure coincidence that I was browsing through this AFV section. Wish I'd taken a screen shot of the image on Facebook, I think the missile launcher pack was slightly different.

Martin 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tMikha said:

You know, there are many modellers from different parts of the world here 😀

You're right - after all, English is modern Latin. There is a mix here from all over the world but yet the forum is dominated by modellers from English speaking countries. Many modellers are limited to only existing on their national scene. You can see for yourself, by the way, that the colleague below only got to know this vehicle because of the war in Ukraine.

53 minutes ago, tMikha said:

I had dealt with Ural and GAZ “Sadko” as well. And always was impressed how tough are theese all-terrain vehicles. Especially Ural. Sometimes I thought “No, guys! It’s impossible to drive over this on the car!”

But as a result it was possible for Ural

I have heard a lot about the incredible off-road capabilities of the Ural and Russian off-road vehicles. People who have had contact with them have said that they are capable of going almost anywhere.... If the right amount of fuel is planned for them...  I once even wanted to buy an old Lada Niva :) Wife did not agree :(

43 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

It was only the other day that I saw a photo of one of these doing exactly that by the Ukrainian Army. The photo was on a UA news feed on Facebook. It was pure coincidence that I was browsing through this AFV section. Wish I'd taken a screen shot of the image on Facebook, I think the missile launcher pack was slightly different.

I feel honoured that when you saw a picture of this vehicle in real life you somehow associated it with my model. It's a pity you didn't take a screen shot because I would have loved to see it even though due to the build I have seen really a lot of pictures of shooting Grads. ;)

The launcher itself may have been modified over the years and may have been mounted on the newer Urals 4320, but I like it best in its original version, as seen here.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

I once even wanted to buy an old Lada Niva :) Wife did not agree :(

I think that she is wise woman)))) Really NIVA is the car that came from 1970's with all it's problems. Though it's really good as a small 'outlander' it needs a lot of service. 

15 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Many modellers are limited to only existing on their national scene. You can see for yourself, by the way, that the colleague below only got to know this vehicle because of the war in Ukraine.

That's the main thing I like this forum - where anyone can present something interesting and may be not well-known in other countries and discuss the models out-of politics. Though I think there are still some USSR-made weapons and vehicles in east-European countries still in service 👍 

Respects, tMikha