Hafa Adai From Guam!

Ridley

Hi everyone. My real name is Mike. My username comes from flight test engineer Jack Ridley, made famous in "The Right Stuff". I'm a retired USAF Chief Master Sergeant Flight Engineer / Aircraft Mechanic. I just discovered this forum and I'm happy to be here as now I have somewhere to share my love of models.

I'll be 62 in Nov and have been building on and off for the last 52 of those. Picked up the pace again two years ago, but last year I had to take a pause due to cataracts in both eyes. Thankfully, with a skilled eye doc, I have new lenses and can see like a 20 year-old again. 

I've never been one to build SOOTB, so I'm not a prolific builder, however, I look forward to sharing the builds I've accomplished in these past two years: a Tiger I, F-15i, F-4C, P-38G, and an A-1. I'm currently working on an F-16D (Thunderbirds).

See you around the board. 

Edited by Ridley
Typos
  • Like 10

Gidday Ridley, welcome aboard. I'm a ship modeler myself but have heard of Jack Ridley, both in the film and Chuck Yeager's autobiography. If memory serves wasn't it Jack's idea to use a bit of the cleaner's/janitor's mop handle for Chuck to close the hatch of the X-1 before he broke the sound barrier? And his idea to install a fuel drain pipe in the aircraft incase the rockets didn't fire? Quite an inventive chap. I think you've chosen a very worthy role model. 🙂

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, youngster!  Having hit 70 last year and discovered I'm also growing a nice set of cataracts I will no doubt have to have a bit of a pause soon myself so I know where you're coming from.  Whilst I model cars, not aircraft, I still look forward to seeing your creations. 

• Like 1

G'day Ridley, welcome aboard,

BM are a  friendly bunch that can take a joke, I think you will like it here. I have a question about Guam that you may be able to answer for me,

Are there any model shops in Guam?

I have been there a few times and never found any, although truth be told I probably did not look very hard  and although here were plenty of 'models' in the Viking bar and Club USA, these were the two legged variety!

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Welcome Mike from one retiree to another. I retired in 93 after 22 years. All fighters except for 3 years with the B-52D 7th BW Carswell AFB. My Air Force specialty was aircraft armament systems technician. Bomb loader load toad and a few others choice nick names that are not nice. Mainly 48th scale aircraft but not limited to that genre. Again welcome to the forum and a library of information here.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker MSGT, ret USAF

F-4D/E, B-52, FB-111,F-111F, F-111E. F-111D and EF-111A

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 5:33 PM, Pappy said:

G'day Ridley, welcome aboard,

BM are a  friendly bunch that can take a joke, I think you will like it here. I have a question about Guam that you may be able to answer for me,

Are there any model shops in Guam?

I have been there a few times and never found any, although truth be told I probably did not look very hard  and although here were plenty of 'models' in the Viking bar and Club USA, these were the two legged variety!

cheers,

Pappy

G'day Pappy,

Thanks for the welcome. Sadly there are no hobby shops here. And yes, the Tumon Ballet has plenty of 'models'... LOL

For the past two years I've been relying on e-bay, Hannants, and a few other shops where shipping isn't prohibitive. Lucky me Japan is opening back up and I'll be there next week on a resupply mission. 

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I feel at home already.

I hope to post some build pics next week. Stay tuned... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/31/2022 at 11:55 PM, f111guru said:

Welcome Mike from one retiree to another. I retired in 93 after 22 years. All fighters except for 3 years with the B-52D 7th BW Carswell AFB. My Air Force specialty was aircraft armament systems technician. Bomb loader load toad and a few others choice nick names that are not nice. Mainly 48th scale aircraft but not limited to that genre. Again welcome to the forum and a library of information here.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker MSGT, ret USAF

F-4D/E, B-52, FB-111,F-111F, F-111E. F-111D and EF-111A

Hi Ron,

What a small world we live in. I grew up near Plattsburgh AFB and remember the day the first FB-111A showed up. Later in life I was an F-111E crew chief at RAF Upper Heyford, '80-'83. Brings back a lot of memories. 

• Like 1

Mike,

Yes what a small world Glens Falls some 90 miles south I was until the US Army wanted to draft me and enlisted USAF 1971. I was at RAF Lakenheath from 77 to 80 with the transfer of the F-111F from Mountain Home AFB. Went to  Cannon AFB after that and bed down the remaining F-111's in 1993. That's when I retired. Ton s of memories

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...