FIGHT OF THE CONDOR!!! - Trumpeter 1/48

I have had the Trumpeter 1/48 Focke Wulf Fw200 'Condor' in my stash since it was released in 2005. After purchasing this kit I was somewhat disappointed to find a kit that was going to need a fair amount of work to get a reasonably accurate rendition of the Condor and it ended up on the top shelf of my stash. In the intervening 17 years it has been taken off the top shelf looked at then put back.

Finding myself (sadly) with time on my hands and a need to keep my mind occupied, I took the Fw200 off the dusty top shelf and threw myself into its building.

I wont list all the inaccuracies with this kit, but I feel Trumpeter could have served us better by cutting down on the interior detail put into it and improved on the accuracy of the kit. All the interior detail is lost once the fuselage is joined!!

I used a set of A.L. Bentley's plans published in a magazine some years ago, they were 1/144 scale so I upped them to 1/48 to give me something accurate to work from.

I decided to 'convert' the model to a C-3 variant by replacing the incorrect HDL turret with a home made MG131 turret.

The machine represented is an Fw200C-3 Wrk. No 0034 of IV./KG40 & KGzbV 200 Gumrak, Russia, Jan.1943. This machine was captured by the Soviets whilst it was being used to help in the supply of materials to Stalingrad.

The end result was as follows :-

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The following changes were made:- 

Some interior detail was added i.e. ribs, stringers (waste of time can't be seen!). Cockpit detailed with Eduard P/E set.

Vertical tail surfaces, rudder reshaped. 

Horizontal tail surfaces moved back to match plans.

Tail wheel replaced with one of correct size and extended to correct length. Bay added for tailwheel.

All engines replaced with Vector resin ones.

Cowling front opening reduced. 

Spinners replaced with resin ones, prop blades reshaped.

Wheel wells detailed, wheels replaced with Brassin Ju88 items.

Front turret replaced with home made item.

Rear ventral gun turret replaced with ICM He111, correct size

Undercarriage detailed, airframe re-scribed, rivets removed from fabric areas of wing.

All oversized detail removed from control surfaces.

Nautilus set of wooden spars used.

Below are some pics of work done:-

spacer.png

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking, cheers,

Andy 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Excellent work on this huge but troubled kit.

Guess there are a lot of kits that landed simply in the stash or half build on the shelf of doom.