USA Model Supplies (Glue and Filler/Putty) - Walmart?

wellsprop

Hi all, 

I'm off the the USA very shortly and my modelling stuff is coming with me (minus glue and filler/putty - flammable stuff can't go on aircraft). 

I'll be staying in a few places and it's unlikely I'll be able to get myself to a dedicated model shop. 

I see Walmart stocks Testors and Mr Hobby poly cement and filler - but I don't know if this would be in stock at a regular Walmart (I will also only be in/near a large city for a day or two). 

What I'd like to know is, does anyone know where is the most convenient/likely place to pick up these two items?

Cheers! 

Ben

Edit: also, for our American friends (or frequent travellers) - are the type B 3-pin power plugs common (that's the only adapter I have!). 

41 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Hi all, 

I'm off the the USA very shortly and my modelling stuff is coming with me (minus glue and filler/putty - flammable stuff can't go on aircraft). 

I'll be staying in a few places and it's unlikely I'll be able to get myself to a dedicated model shop. 

I see Walmart stocks Testors and Mr Hobby poly cement and filler - but I don't know if this would be in stock at a regular Walmart (I will also only be in/near a large city for a day or two). 

What I'd like to know is, does anyone know where is the most convenient/likely place to pick up these two items?

Cheers! 

Ben

Edit: also, for our American friends (or frequent travellers) - are the type B 3-pin power plugs common (that's the only adapter I have!). 

No they don't stock any of this stuff in stores. Try a Hobby-lobby craft store or see of there is a Hobby-town chain hobby shop near by. Hobby lobby also sells models sometimes up to 40% off. 

These are what my home and hotels Ive used have ? If thats what youre referring too ? 

https://www.dimensions.com/element/type-b-plug-socket

Not sure where you're headed to in the USA. If you get to the Chicago area say hello Im local and can help out with places to see and visit. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Cheers Dennis, 

I didn't think a normal Walmart would sell that sort of stuff, odd that it shows it online... 

I'll have to see if I can get myself to a hobby lobby then!

And yep, those are the type of plugs I am referring to :)

• Like 1

Walmart stopped stocking that type of stuff in-store a few years ago.  Craft stores like Joanns or Michaels have a small model section but it's mainly American muscle cars, trucks and the like. There are very few aircraft kits on the shelves and even less paint and accessories.  I've never been to a Hobbylobby so can't comment on that.

You may hit it lucky - I found a model store out in the sticks of Pennsylvania a few years back. It had two floors worth of models but almost no scratch building supplies, or even paints. I spent over an hour in there and came away empty handed. 

You might try some of the dollar stores - Dollar Tree, Dollar General etc. (US equivalent of the Pound Stores) they sometimes carry model kits and may have some supplies in stock if you're lucky. Big Lots is another store worth checking.

To be honest, I've given up checking in store for anything other than generic supplies like cotton buds, cocktail sticks, or superglue.  These days I can get stuff delivered quicker than I can get to a store to buy it - and without the hassle of traveling for hours