Does anyone have a Color guide pattern for South east asian Camouflage on Republic F-84F Thunderstreaks ?

Hello everyone, I'm getting ready to start my F-84F in Illinois A.N.G. markings. The plane wore South East Asian camouflage in 1970 and Im looking for a good color guide. Ive found the T.O. Diagram on Cybermodeler and also a couple of generic ones online. The T.O. Is not well defined to my eyes though as the way they show the different colors is to blurred. Something got messed up in the uploading process or they used a photo copy that was already damaged. However Im looking for a really good well defined guide or photo’s to do the camouflage with.
       I cant use the aircraft in the Nat’l Museum of the U.S.Air Force as an example. The colors were sprayed on in a generic pattern in the 1970’s or 80’s. To add they bear no resemblance to either color or pattern that I can tell ? Ive got a half decent pattern from a model decal sheet showing an Belgian A.F. aircraft in similar colors. However Im not sure the pattern would be the correct one. I believe they were delivered in N.M.F. and painted at a later time ? If anyone can help or point me in a good direction Id be very grateful ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

• Corsairfoxfouruncle changed the title to Does anyone have a Color guide for South east asian Camouflage on Republic F-84F Thunderstreaks ?
15 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

You mean the pattern and not the colours, Dennis? If so, give me a short time and I will pull something together. Whichtsil number are you modelling on?

Thank you and yes I did mean the pattern. The one from the T.O. Is to blurry to be of much use. 

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thank you and yes I did mean the pattern. The one from the T.O. Is to blurry to be of much use. 

And your subject aircraft? Serial number?

• Corsairfoxfouruncle changed the title to Does anyone have a Color guide pattern for South east asian Camouflage on Republic F-84F Thunderstreaks ?
26 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

If so, give me a short time and I will pull something together

I love this forum.... 😍‼️

Seriously, you ask a question, make an enquiry, whatever subject or specific data and... BOOM 😊

Fantastic 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello everyone, I'm getting ready to start my F-84F in Illinois A.N.G. markings. The plane wore South East Asian camouflage in 1970 and Im looking for a good color guide. Ive found the T.O. Diagram on Cybermodeler and also a couple of generic ones online. The T.O. Is not well defined to my eyes though as the way they show the different colors is to blurred. Something got messed up in the uploading process or they used a photo copy that was already damaged. However Im looking for a really good well defined guide or photo’s to do the camouflage with.
       I cant use the aircraft in the Nat’l Museum of the U.S.Air Force as an example. The colors were sprayed on in a generic pattern in the 1970’s or 80’s. To add they bear no resemblance to either color or pattern that I can tell ? Ive got a half decent pattern from a model decal sheet showing an Belgian A.F. aircraft in similar colors. However Im not sure the pattern would be the correct one. I believe they were delivered in N.M.F. and painted at a later time ? If anyone can help or point me in a good direction Id be very grateful ? 

Dennis

Which version of 1-1-4 are you looking at?  I have a copy of the 21 Mar 78 Basic with Chg 21 of 19 Dec 85 that has a very clear view of the color pattern.  IIRC at one time they had the nose section of both the RF and F superimposed on each other and there was no way to tell the pattern.  This particular version has them separated out and it is easy to see the pattern.  I plan on doing an SEA scheme F-84F myself one of these years unless I kick the bucket first!

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

The key to this is knowing how accurate you want your model. The patterns on many camouflage schemes can vary hugely while sticking to an overall concept. Only by getting references of the aircraft your are building can you get it accurate, or as accurate as is possible. That is why I asked that question about Dennis’ subject. There are loads of images of SEA painted F-84Fs online and they collectively illustrate my point. 

Martin

PS: I agree, Rob @rob Lyttle :). I’m not there yet with this one, though. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, e8n2 said:

Which version of 1-1-4 are you looking at?  I have a copy of the 21 Mar 78 Basic with Chg 21 of 19 Dec 85 that has a very clear view of the color pattern.  IIRC at one time they had the nose section of both the RF and F superimposed on each other and there was no way to tell the pattern.  This particular version has them separated out and it is easy to see the pattern.  I plan on doing an SEA scheme F-84F myself one of these years unless I kick the bucket first!

Later,

Dave

The version I have isn't clear the different color patterns are blurry so its hard to tell what they are on the actually schematic ? Maybe its because I use a cellular for everything ? 

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

The key to this is knowing how accurate you want your model. The patterns on many camouflage schemes can vary hugely while sticking to an overall concept. Only by getting references of the aircraft your are building can you get it accurate, or as accurate as is possible. That is why I asked that question about Dennis’ subject. There are loads of images of SEA painted F-84Fs online and they collectively illustrate my point. 

Martin

PS: I agree, Rob @rob Lyttle :). I’m not there yet with this one, though. 

If you cant get it I am still grateful you tried. If all else fails I will use the schematics I have snd have to put a best guess on them. 

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If you cant get it I am still grateful you tried. If all else fails I will use the schematics I have snd have to put a best guess on them. 

I'll get something to you, Dennis ;). I now remember you posted a photo previously of an Ill ANG F-84F that you wanted to model. Can you re-post that photo? 

PS: Oops, I didn't see your post above! Sorry Dennis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Maybe its because I use a cellular for everything ?

Not to sound snarky, but do you have access to a "real" computer so you can see it properly?  I can barely surf Britmodeller on my not-very-smart phone, and I can't imagine trying to pick out detail suitable for us model-builder obsessives!

I also have the TO, so could scan it if the other person doesn't manage to.  It might take me a day or two to get around to it, though!  (I assume mine has F-84 in it.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Not to sound snarky, but do you have access to a "real" computer so you can see it properly?  I can barely surf Britmodeller on my not-very-smart phone, and I can't imagine trying to pick out detail suitable for us model-builder obsessives!

I also have the TO, so could scan it if the other person doesn't manage to.  It might take me a day or two to get around to it, though!  (I assume mine has F-84 in it.)

No sadly Ive owned four computers since 1998. 3 desktops and one laptop, everyone of them committed ritual Seppuku (Hari-kari) after a little while in my ownership. Literally 2 of the 4 burst into flames the others just died and stopped working. Since 2012 Ive only ever used my cellular as its the only thing that hasn't destroyed itself. RidgeRunner is working on something however if he ultimately cant I will ask you to do what you can. 

• Like 1

Two caught on fire?! Great Cthulhu*, what programmes were you using?

Regards,

Jason

*No offence meant to my Lord and Saviour, Nodens, Lord of the Outer Abyss!

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Two caught on fire?! Great Cthulhu*, what programmes were you using?

Regards,

Jason

*No offence meant to my Lord and Saviour, Nodens, Lord of the Outer Abyss!

Actually no I left the side panel off of the towers to keep them cool. Believe it or not I asked some Computer guys Im familiar with why. Their answer was after 5 years the majority of Pentiums would just self destruct. A few by fire some by just dying of old age. They suspect that it was a built in program which would require you to upgrade at some point. The two that caught on fire were operating fine. Then next I’d hear popping and smell smoke. I looked the first time just as it started on fire and it blew my mind. The second time I just threw a wet towel on it and shut down. Oh and mostly internet searches and games. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

I find I use an iPad 90% of the time. I find photo’s of the detail I want on the internet, screenshot them and put them in a photo file. I also take pics of photo’s in  my own books, easier than dealing with a couple of open books on the workbench, plus I can zoom in easily. 

• Like 1

Since I enjoy doing 3-D graphics, I'm pretty much tied to having a big, fancy desktop as these programmes are pretty resource-intensive. The only bad thing is I build my own computers so I can't take them back to the manufacturer when something goes wrong. The idiot who built them gets to fix them.

Regards,

Jason

15 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Since I enjoy doing 3-D graphics, I'm pretty much tied to having a big, fancy desktop as these programmes are pretty resource-intensive. The only bad thing is I build my own computers so I can't take them back to the manufacturer when something goes wrong. The idiot who built them gets to fix them.

Regards,

Jason

I have a 90 Miata with parts from several different years, an engine swap, a turbo, and and aftermarket ECU. I have to look up what the heck I did when I built it when I work on it!  I totally get it!😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Robin-42 said:

I have a 90 Miata with parts from several different years, an engine swap, a turbo, and and aftermarket ECU. I have to look up what the heck I did when I built it when I work on it!  I totally get it!😁

Yes, indeed - customising machines is a double-edged sword! I have to look at my old invoices to remember which parts I used for my computers.

Regards,

Jason

8 hours ago, Learstang said:

Regards,

Jason

I'm not into 3D graphics myself, but I haven't bought a pre-built desktop in about 30 years.  Build all my own and I go with AMD processors.  Never have had one burn up or just die on me.  I had a co-worker bring his computer in for me to work on because it was running very slow.  Easy to understand since there was dust everywhere clogging up the vents and all over the inside.  Cleaned out the dust, copied the data that he really wanted to keep, and reloaded windows from scratch.  Worked fine and a lot quicker after that.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The version I have isn't clear the different color patterns are blurry so its hard to tell what they are on the actually schematic ? Maybe its because I use a cellular for everything ? 

Will your phone allow you to print something from the phone?  Some of the newer Android versions have a way of working with printers to allow you to print stuff.  I've never done it so I don't know all the ins and outs, but maybe somebody at Staples or FedEx can help you to print out the page for the F-84 and it won't seem so blurry.  Just a thought to help you with your problem.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e8n2 said:

Will your phone allow you to print something from the phone?  Some of the newer Android versions have a way of working with printers to allow you to print stuff.  I've never done it so I don't know all the ins and outs, but maybe somebody at Staples or FedEx can help you to print out the page for the F-84 and it won't seem so blurry.  Just a thought to help you with your problem.

Later,

Dave

I have a printer but need to get ink. 

24 minutes ago, e8n2 said:

Easy to understand since there was dust everywhere clogging up the vents and all over the inside. 

My younger brother once brought me a couple of his computers to look at. They were so dusty and filthy on the inside I half expected to find a wasp's nest on the video card.

Regards,

Jason

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Learstang said:

My younger brother once brought me a couple of his computers to look at. They were so dusty and filthy on the inside I half expected to find a wasp's nest on the video card.

Regards,

Jason

All I asked for from the guy was for his wife to make me some home made enchiladas (both he and his wife have some Hispanic background).  About 12 years later I'm still waiting for my enchiladas!  Of course he got fired from the company we were working for about a year later for making a really stupid remark to another co-worker which I will not repeat here.

Later,

Dave

• Like 1