Tracy Island 2.0

Well, the Island is finished and, I must say, I’m satisfied. Uploaded a short video to Youtube which is easier then posting 23 pictures here.

Posted the link in the “ready for inspection” section for all to see and enjoy.

Unfortunatly the link was removed. Seems it is for forbidden to share a link to Youtube because if you are leading members “to a channel” or “advertise”.  A simple PM before removing the link would have given me the chance to explain but it seems that is not “the moderators way”.

Asked them to restore the link. Hope they do. If not…well….those who would love to see the finished product will have to do without.

Let’s hope the link is restored.

5 minutes ago, Graspaps said:

A simple PM before removing the link would have given me the chance to explain but it seems that is not “the moderators way”.

It's been "the moderator's way" for several years, and snide comments aren't the way to win friends and influence people.

6 minutes ago, Graspaps said:

Asked them to restore the link. Hope they do.

You haven't asked me, who removed the link, and the answer would be no anyway. :shrug:

Well, on Britmodellers it seems to be the usual “moderator-dictatorship’ terror. For a short while I hoped BM was different….

Don’t worry, no need to win ‘moderator’-friends or influence anyone. Let’s call this “the last post

I imagine a compact non-commercial site like Britmodeller has to be careful about legal matters and boring regulations such as these, since the site doesn't have the corporate clout to upset large companies such as those which own YouTube. President Jack Nicholson asked in the movie Mars Attacks! 'why can't we all just get along?' (Five mins. later, he was unfortunately zapped ...) Your Tracey Island will remain a fine piece of modelling, if I say so myself. I hope to see more 'Anderson-mania' in future! 🤖

Edited by Peter2

On 19/11/2022 at 16:38, Mike said:

It's been "the moderator's way" for several years, and snide comments aren't the way to win friends and influence people.

You haven't asked me, who removed the link, and the answer would be no anyway. :shrug:

If it was something outright advertising a channel to try and get money from it I could understand the problem, but I don't get why linking to a video on a non-commercial youtube channel for the purpose of showing a finished build wouldn't be allowed? Even just doing a quick search shows several people have done that before and their posts didn't get removed, am i missing something?

On 23/11/2022 at 12:27, TheVoidDragon said:

If it was something outright advertising a channel to try and get money from it I could understand the problem, but I don't get why linking to a video on a non-commercial youtube channel for the purpose of showing a finished build wouldn't be allowed? Even just doing a quick search shows several people have done that before and their posts didn't get removed, am i missing something?

Yep, just looks like we have missed the posts with YouTube in them. When found they are culled. 

And the reasoning, a growing number of members arriving, posting a topic with nothing but a YouTube video or link to their channel/blog/website and that’s it. We don’t pay quite hefty server fees to act as advertising for their sites/channels.

having been copied into the correspondence from the member demanding that we reinstate and apologise to him, he was not helping his argument.

11 hours ago, Greg B said:

Yep, just like we have missed the posts with YouTube in them. When found they are culled. 

And the reasoning, a growing number of members arriving, posting a topic with nothing but a YouTube video or link to their channel/blog/website and that’s it. We don’t pay quite hefty server fees to act as advertising for their sites/channels.

having been copied into the correspondence from the member demanding that we reinstate and apologise to him, he was not helping his argument.

That thread seems to be talking about things in the context of those advertising for profit though, I totally get not wanting people to take advantage and just post something for commercial reasons or outright advertising in order to make money by trying to get subscribers or site views, but if even when someone isn't doing what's talked about there and isn't posting for monetary gain gets stopped too then I just don't understand that at all.

Sorry if i've got something wrong and this person was actually advertising for commercial reasons in this case, although I've not really got that impression from what I've read here.

Edited by TheVoidDragon

How can we tell if they are making money from advertising or site traffic? We can’t. From that you can also see that we can’t differentiate in the application of the policy because we can’t tell. We do know that before the policy it was very evident that our hospitality was being abused with more and more channel links being posted. Therefore it’s a blanket no.

The member chose to get pretty snotty with the Mod team before he left of his own accord after it was removed in accordance with a site policy that had been around longer than he had.

As for dictatorship terror, it’s evidently far worse to be a drama Queen…

• Like 1

Sic transit gloria mundi. As long as we don't fall into the trap of a falsis principiis proficisci, especially when it's a case of absente reo. I hope we are absit invidia about a fellow member. For now, Roma locuta, causa finita.

Due to the fact my account has been frozen in order to prevent me to react I opened a new account in order to share my side of the story. After this one post I will close this account but I will not be called a "Drama Queen" etc by any moderator !!

I had planned to turn my back on this forum but after reading the moderator's "reaction" on a few comments made by some members on the matter I decided it would be proper to post a ( final ) comment since the moderators 
explanation of his acting is, and I'm being kind, not "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. When, on top off that I'm accused of being rude, getting "snotty" and being "a drama queen" a line was crossed.
So, since the original post was removed (how convenient) here it is. 
I am ( or better was) new to this forum so excuse me if I did not make in indepth study of all the forum rules. My mistake but to those members who did...say ayee.....
Posting ( a lot of ) pctures to a topic is a lot of work since this forum does not host pictures itself so, when you want to post pictures of your work ;
- find a ( free ) hosting site
- post your pictures there
- go to the topic and create a new post, then click on "adding a picture" ( or something like that )
- go back to the hosting site, copy the picture link
- go back to the new post, paste the link, click submit and repeat the complete process for every other picture.
Well, that's what it is but wanting to show the most of my finished project I had to repeat that process for about 50 times so......I made a short movie and, since the forum does not host movies either why not upload it to Youtube.
After all, isn't that the main purpose of Youtube ? Do I have a large, sponsored, commercial Youtube channel....nope...in fact this Tracy Island is the only movie on my channel and a Youtube search won't even reveal it.....
So, having done all that I made the unforgivable mistake of making a new post to show the Island and pasted the Youtube link.......
When I visited the topic next day I was baffled. The link was removed and in the post was nothing more then a copy of the forum-rule I so violently broke ...... NO LINKS TO COMMERIAL CHANNELS !!!!
What commercial channel ? So I responded by stating this was rather rude. Why did the moderator not do what normal people would do confronted with this ....
1. Click the link and check what kind of "channel" it is
2. Send the member a short PM explaining the rule
3. Respond to the topic to inform other members that this is, unfortunatly, not allowed ( but since the channel is not commercial....)
Quit understanable I told this lawkeeper I would have liked to have a chance to explainit and asked him to restore the link and a simple sorry wouldn't be misplaced.
But no. The moderator responded by stating that, even if I would explained it the answer would have been NO and the link would have been removed. So far for being "snotty"..
Furthermore I was lectured that snide comments ( which ?) aren't way to make friends and influence people.....Well, thanks for the advice...as a retired Bankmanager having been responsible for over 300 employees and owning a 
masterdegree in Customer Relationship Management that's just what I needed.
So, that's what really was going on. To avoid more discussion or making "snotty" comments I removed the content and left the forum but unfortunatly the case didn't seem to be closed for the "administrator". In his opinion leaving a
place with the intention of avoiding to have things escalate any further one is a "Drama Queen". 
Well, here's my two cents on moderators ( which btw does not mean that the one who deleted the post and commented on it fits the description... that's up to the members to conclude ) but still...
I've experienced that moderators who think it's there most important task to check if all members follow the rules and intervene merciless when a rule is broken are using their moderatorship to compensate the fact that they 
weren't very succesfull in social live, being bullied by the boss and by the wife and now have the opportunity to "show the world they're boss".

With kind regards

"Graspaps"

Dear sweet lord.

Not happy about the site rules being applied. Teddy goes in the corner and rudely demands an apology from the moderators because we are at fault and not him. 

Flounces off.

Now back under a different name and new clean email; and we are still at fault, because he couldn’t be bothered to expend the effort like every other member to showcase their work on here and instead repeatedly posted links to his own website and a YouTube channel post. Again followed up as per his PM that it couldn’t be his fault due to past employment and education status. Forgets that having 300 employees doesnt guarantee social and emotional skills and that a masters degree indicates an ability to research and regurgitate theoretical concepts but not effective practical implementation. Childishly accuses moderators of being unsuccessful in social, relationship, educational and employment matters unlike him…

Really….

Drama and irony. The joy of the site admin role…

• Like 5

• Greg B locked this topic