1/72 scale Martlets and Wildcats

It is about time I started a WIP instead of looking, dreaming of building a model and picking on "Bill the Butcher" a.k.a Navy Bird.  With all my banter about Bill's missfortune I went and stabbed myself with a knife and a lot of claret escaped, serves me right for being a dork.

I am going to butcher AZmodels Grumman Martlet Mk.1/G.36.

So let us have a look at the bits.

I wanted to do a G.36 but found very few reference photos especially for the fuselage guns.

Boxart

doc-035.jpg

doc-036.jpg

doc-038.jpg

doc-039.jpg

decals.jpg

Masks

masks.jpg

My start, No you won't find any blood on these bits it is on the wings and I wiped it off.

The parts go together well so far although the engine placement seems to be a bit hairy.

20220829-201713.jpg

20220829-201739.jpg

20220829-201811.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 6

• StephenCJ changed the title to 1/72 scale Martlets and Wildcats

I forgot to show the sprue shots, here they are.  There is a little flash except around the propeller hub where there is a lot.

sprue-1.jpg

sprue-2.jpg

Happy to have you tag along, Chris.  Any input will be grateful

Stephen

• Like 2

12 hours ago, StephenCJ said:

It is about time I started a WIP instead of looking, dreaming of building a model and picking on "Bill the Butcher" a.k.a Navy Bird.  With all my banter about Bill's missfortune I went and stabbed myself with a knife and a lot of claret escaped, serves me right for being a dork.

It's a very exclusive club - only the finest styrene masochists can join.    :)

I had one of the AZ kits - I think it was the Martlet Mk. VI. It looked nice in the box but I traded it in for one of the new Arma kits (FM-2). I'll tag along if you don't mind (I have beer!) as I would love to see how the AZ kit goes together. You can never have too many Wildcats.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Leaving the blood on the wings would have been an interesting pre-shading experiment.     🩸

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You might have wondered why there has been no more updates.  

We have to get our house cleaned and the mould neutralised (this is from the flood in Feb 2022).

Nothing has happened for months apart from a lot of emails and phone calls, I got sick of 'Hurry up and wait' and started this WIP.  The next day a phone call from the cleaner who wants to clean.

Nothing down stairs has been moved because there was nowhere to move it to, it is amazing what a cranky cleaner can do, a 20' container arrived the next the day.

Been busy moving stuff and there will be nowhere to model for months.  Hopefully hurry up and wait is over and we will get downstairs rebuilt soon.

Plumber comes Monday to remove the laundry tubs and the cleaner comes Tuesday, yeh right.

"Her in Doors" has discovered the extent of my stash, not a good thing, she had a face like a smacked bottom when I got home from TAFE on Friday.

Stephen lost for space now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

'Her in doors told' me "if I buy anymore models I'm dead'   SHE DOES NOT SCARE ME!

We will see what happens on Tuesday, I beleive there will be warfare as the builder has made downstairs safe for the monsters (dogs - see avatar).  The cleaner was not impressed with what the builder had done.  The wife and I will run away to Ballina for some Prawn cultets and chips and let the tradies fight it out.  A good plan.  

• Like 2