Red 6 hit by bird - canopy smashed

Mark Harmsworth

So, what sort of bird was it? <_< 

All joking aside, it must have been a pretty big one 'cause I'm guessing the Hawks are capable of taking lesser bird strikes in their stride, that one looks like it was close to devastating.

Steve.

skynews-raf-red-arrows-bird_5879731.jpg?

Blimey! :blink:  That's a sizeable hole in the canopy, and it looks like he kept the bird, slightly flattened against the blast screen between the two cockpits.  It was lucky for the pilot that it seems to have hit the canopy above the windscreen, so the pilot wasn't in too much danger from the impact, at least.  Good recovery, and although it's a shame about the bird, it's a sad fact that they just can't get out of the way of aircraft, and pilots don't always see them before impact :shrug:

Imagine if we had to try to dodge every insect we hit in our cars? :owww:

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 3:23 PM, Mike said:

The hole was even bigger from t'other side. :shocked:  I wouldn't have wanted to clean the cockpit after that :owww:

Yes apparently the smell is nasty.🤢

He had a lucky escape. It wouldn't have been the first a fast jet was brought down by bird.

I had a bird strike once during take off so quite slow. But I had just enough time to duck. It  bounced off fortunately. But the thunk of it hitting was pretty loud. I'd hate to think of the result at higher  speeds.🤕

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, noelh said:

I had a bird strike once during take off so quite slow. But I had just enough time to duck. It  bounced off fortunately. But the thunk of it hitting was pretty loud. I'd hate to think of the result at higher  speeds.🤕

I had a bird strike on my car once at around 50mph, and that was scary enough! :lol:

It was a dead pigeon that had just been killed by a truck a few cars forward and came out of the sky on a ballistic trajectory.  It put the wind up me, I can tell you! :blush: