Hello all,

The inevitable has happened - the husband took a grave look at (part of) the stash and said, "You know all too well you're never going to build all these. Maybe it's time you start cutting back."

The poor soul labours under the impression that I build all my kits with the intention of building them.

Most of the time, I do, I swear!

But sometimes other factors are in play and I wonder if I'm alone and weird. Reasons that made me sneak another one inside the house, in no particular order:

"Local hobby shops need a little love."

"Another ten bucks and I qualify for free shipping."

"I have been browsing for so long, it would be rude not to buy something."

"It comes with Wakandan roundels, excellent, I could use them on my Fruitbat Mk.I."

"I have to see for myself if this is as good as they say."

"I have to see for myself if this is as bad as they say."

Did you ever mutter these sentences under your breath while reaching for your wallet? Or others?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

The three factors that have caused my stash to increase this year are:

That's a good kit for forthcoming GB, and then not taking part or using a different kit.

Vac forms cannot that hard

FOMO - current kit availability means if you require a kit you have to get one as soon are it's available

• Like 6

I've never had a kit that didn't make me happy whilst buying it - although I did know that the Unicraft resin MiG.7 was going to cause problems (it still is)  I've had lots I regretted after looking in the box.

I would add:

It's a type that has always fascinated me

I haven't got one of those, and might want to do it sometime..

My "collection" is desperately short of transports/trainers/destroyers (all navies are always short of destroyers)/softskins.

That would fit into my collection of (e.g) Handley Page aircraft/Romanian AF/607 Sq/WW2 destroyers/softskins....   

I wonder just how they are going to do that?  (e.g. Airfix simpler Spitfire Vc)

• Like 5

Oooh! Shiny thing...

If I use that wing with this fuselage...

Well I might as well use up the rest of that decal sheet.

That box is just the right size to stop the stack in the stash cupboard falling over again.

They always look better in pairs.

• Like 4

Your HUSBAND is asking you to thin the stash down...? How's that for a great example of a modern-day role reversal? I have no problem whatsoever with ladies making models and wish you all the best with your builds. 

It's funny... whilst married, I bought exactly no kits. Now I'm divorced, lots of kits! I've always wondered if there is any correlation to these two states-of-being.

Chris. 

PS: If the model-buying ever gets too much for your man, you could always point out to him that you could always get into collecting enormously over-priced shoes, or handbags, or jewelry, or....  

• Like 5

"I've got a Vulcan and a Victor, how can I NOT have a complete V-force"

Usually followed a short while later by  "where the heck am I going to stand THREE  1:72  V-bombers ?!  "

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

28 minutes ago, IanHx said:

"I've got a Vulcan and a Victor, how can I NOT have a complete V-force"

Usually followed a short while later by  "where the heck am I going to stand THREE  1:72  V-bombers ?!  "

I'm afraid you're missing the point. It's not important that you actually build these kits, it's important that you have them. Once you've bought them you can just stick them in the garden shed.

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1. Because I can.

2. FOMO - especially these days, when it seems that after the initial production run sells out the thing disappears forever.

3. Because I can.

4. "Ooooh, if I cut there and there, with a bit of Milliput I can make THAT version - dunno why Tamifix didn't think of that when they designed the kit!"

5. Because I can ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My "stash" consists of 3 kits. When I require another kit, the shops will provide.

20 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

It's funny... whilst married, I bought exactly no kits. Now I'm divorced, lots of kits! I've always wondered if there is any correlation to these two states-of-being.

I'm sure there is a direct correlation with the wedding cake...:rolleyes:

11 hours ago, hairystick said:

My "stash" consists of 3 kits. When I require another kit, the shops will provide.

I like that - modelling minimalism. Something I aspire to. 

• Like 1

Other reasons for buying a kit:

1. I know I can sell it at a profit.
  2. It is an outstanding example of its type and it's alway pleasurable to own things of quality.
  3. I may never see it again.
  4. It makes my collection of Italian experimental WWII jet-piston hybrids complete.
  5. I always wanted one as a child, but never got one.
  6. I've driven/flown/sailed in a real one.
  7. It brings back exciting memories of a film I've seen.
  8. I can show it off to the model club.
  9. Joe will be happy if I give it to him as a present.
  10. It brings back happy memories.
  11. I was drunk and on eBay.
  12. Product research, so my aftermarket accessories will fit.

• Like 4