Hans Joachim Marseille's Bf 109F-4/Trop (Hasegawa in 1:48)

Finished this kit yesterday. The model came with bonus resin tyres from Hasegawa, which also came with the regular plastic ones.

I used Revell Aqua colours and several brushes to complete this aircraft.

The original kit decals were completely unsuable, cracked beyond redemption. Luckily I was able to count from my spares box to complete this paint job.

TKB7aqc.jpeg

8WaZW0E.jpeg

mmNOMWJ.jpeg

DXwF7Fb.jpeg

Wws6h0B.jpeg

ap2iIwC.jpeg

SJwZilc.jpeg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 27

12 minutes ago, Russmeister 101 said:

Great result and save with the spare decals. (I save all my decals too!! :D

Thanks! Better use those decals before they too go bad.

13 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

Really great save with spare decals

I had to check if I had the needed decals. Otherwise the kit would have been a waste of money.

50 minutes ago, Tokyo Raider said:

I really like the RLM79 Sand you used.  I dont have revell paints here in USA, but will try and match the color of your model.

Vallejo does several RLM colours, including RLM 79. Try that one.

3 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Vallejo does several RLM colours, including RLM 79. Try that one.

I have it here and am always very torn in using it. Whilst it's arguably technically correct, Vallejo's RLM79 is rather dark and finishes with with a different undertone/hue to it than evident on your model's finish. Colourised photos frequently present Bf 109s with a similar shade to as you have presented. Whether true to real life or not is the ultimate question.

As I am given to understand, early Luftwaffe units assigned to the North Africa flew over in their Mediterranean camo and operated in those schemes initially for some time. When they initially converted to desert schemes, like everything else logistical supplied to the skeleton force that composed the Afrika Korps RLM paint was in short supply, and so the case of as needs must applied with units using all sorts scavenged including left over Italian and captured Allied paint into the mix. The result was lighter and varied shades than RLM79. Whether this practice still persisted at the place and by the time of the repainting of Marseilles F-4 Trop is a question for an obsessive who's been there with their research beyond my own. What is known by me is that Marseilles' aircraft was an Erla built F-4 Trop delivered to the Luftwaffe in November 1941, and that it was repaired/upgraded and repainted post factory at a depot sometime prior to being delivered to 3./JG 27. Although I have a passable knowledge of other theatres, my own intense interest is predominantly Eastern Front ops and Reichsverteidigung focussed. One forgets so much forsaking to the subliminal with time and input of volumes of information. The shade you have chosen looks attractive regardless. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Turned out great, it's a nice kit.  I really like the Luftwaffe desert scheme.    Interesting that the decals were so bad.  I recently built the same (or very similar) kit and the decals were fantastic to work with, just a bit thicker than ideal.