1/32 Short Stirling

Hello, Tom.

The photos of the landing gear look very much like 3D computer modelling work. It is not the case?
Everything looks perfect: the construction, the method, the photos.:clap:

I think that I will stop looking at your work because I am drinking too much beer!:cheers:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

After a glorious week skiing in the Dolomites of Northern Italy, I returned and tentatively opened the attic to see if the Stirling was still standing on her new legs… 

52792433166_1c79a91b1e_b.jpg

52792878723_02d4ef1ec7_b.jpg

…and thankfully she was! The undercarriage hadn’t budged even a fraction of a millimetre so I’m calling it a success. 

I’ve added a few more bits of the main structure from more spare sprue: 

52792827850_b78afa9c06_b.jpg

Now it’ll be the long task of making and adding the many other details to really bring these to life. 

Saying that, I’m off to France for a week now so actually it’s heading back into the loft for the time being!

Tom

• Like 12

29 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

I’m off to France for a week now

It's a tough life but someone has to do it.

Have fun!

Ian

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

After a glorious week skiing in the Dolomites of Northern Italy

Weather looks great and pistes look quiet.  Not jealous at all; nope, not in the slightest…. 

Glad you had a good time, Tom.  Enjoy france.

Oh; and seeing as this is a modelling site…. the undercart looks impressive :D

• Haha 1

Soldering brass rod is not that difficult, honest. You clearly have some skills as shown on this superb build and I think learning how to solder with a few Carrs solders of different melting points and appropriate fluxes would just add to your repertoire :) 

Andrew

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

I’ve not neglected this build but, as usual, I’ve been working on other projects whilst keeping this ticking along. 

It’s been a long task, but I’ve more or less completed scratching the main landing gear - there’s the doors and their actuators to add as well as brake lines and the like, but these will go on when the gear is properly installed. 

I just thought I’d post a quick phone pic of them as they currently stand - I’ll get the decent camera out over the next week or two and take some more detailed shots. 

52920590529_dc9eea4c8e_b.jpg

Not too bad considering this started as some spare sprue from the HobbyBoss B-24! Happy days. 

All the best,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 22

I don't know how much of a help it might be Tom, but the latest ( June )  issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling has a feature on the Stirling. I found it most interesting, but whether you;d get anything from it to the model only you can say.

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Consider several of your ideas here stolen!

More than once! ;)

Staggering scratch building Tom. Making such symmetrical but complex parts is a huge achievement. 

Richie

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Whofan said:

I don't know how much of a help it might be Tom, but the latest ( June )  issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling has a feature on the Stirling. I found it most interesting, but whether you;d get anything from it to the model only you can say.

Thanks for heads up on this - I’ll have a look as one can never have too many resources. 

21 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Those UC units look brilliant and the building method both novel and practical.

Consider several of your ideas here stolen!

Thank you! And do steal away…

19 hours ago, RichieW said:

More than once! ;)

Staggering scratch building Tom. Making such symmetrical but complex parts is a huge achievement. 

Richie

Many thanks - it was a little tricky at times but as the gear is identical on either side it was a case of having made one, just copy the measurements and make another. It did take a while though - and there’s still more to add. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2023 at 6:57 AM, Tigerausfb said:

Soldering brass rod is not that difficult, honest. You clearly have some skills as shown on this superb build and I think learning how to solder with a few Carrs solders of different melting points and appropriate fluxes would just add to your repertoire :) 

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Gidday from a soldering newbie and klutz from Brisbane, Australia

This dark art is the source of acute frustration to me

I'm constantly in awe of the neat soldering work some can achieve and the fact that their soldering actually works !

I think I've done my my basic homework and reading

I know about surface prep and cleanliness

I have a variable temperature soldering iron

and I think I'm using appropriate solder and flux for both basic and silver soldering 

but still cannot get a clean and tidy result or any result sometimes !!! ....

Would you mind running through the list below and giving a bloke a few tips please ?

I suspect the metal might be too cold and the iron correspondingly not hot enough or perhaps my flux or solder selections are poor

What temperature range would you recommend for, firstly what I will call basic soldering, and second, silver soldering

does that temperature setting change if you are working with flat PE and then move onto rod

Should I just forget trying to silver solder 

What flux should I be using

Is flux core solder OK to use if so what would you use ?

what is the best mix of solder and flux to use for brass rod and  Does that change if you are soldering flat PE ?

Any help or advice very gratefully received

Regards

David

Evening all,

After a glorious weekend away walking in The Lakes...

52938295041_68fb400151_b.jpg

52938295216_e1a66a981e_b.jpg

...I thought I'd have a proper test-fit of the gear as well as take some piccies using the decent camera set up. The undercarriage isn't attached yet as there's lots of detail still to be made and added to the bays - not to mention the painting of both the bays and legs - but a set of metal pins inserted into the spars as mounting points and holes of the correct size drilled into the upper-most past of the gear legs means they are a snug push-fit and support the model without glue. 

I've also made the basic twin-rear wheel set up by utilising Beaufighter tail wheels and legs, which with some mods have done the job. Not perfect replicas, but once the bays and doors are finished off not much will be seen anyway. 

DSC_0309

It all looks very gangly at the moment, but when the undercarriage doors are added as well as the bomb bay doors, it should look the part.

DSC_0307

DSC_0305

DSC_0303

DSC_0301

DSC_0299

DSC_0297

What to tackle next? The bomb bays or engines? Decisions, decisions. Onwards and upwards, as the old saying goes...

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Hi Tom,

That looks fantastic. The walking in the lakes obviously has done you good, and your modelling skills have been 'honed' yet again. 

I am really enjoying seeing your Stirling progress, and the info you have given along the way.

Super stuff Tom, looking forward to seeing the next instalment.

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin; 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

What to tackle next? The bomb bays or engines? Decisions, decisions. Onwards and upwards, as the old saying goes...

It won't go upwards without engines, I just want to see them really. :)

It looks superb Tom, up close and in the plastic it must have great presence even in this partially built state.

Richie