1/32 Short Stirling

48 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

The uppers have really come to life with the tank covers, life raft hatch as well as various access panels:

You can say that again. Very impressive. As are the nacelles and wingtip lights tip. Another great update. Thanks.

• Like 1

You are brave man Tom !

Speaking of brave  ...

Have you seen the 1/48 seven [7] part tour d' force scratch build by Megas Tsnos in Meng Air Modeller # 63 - 70 ?

Megas' work is a great pictorial reference supplying impossible to find details for a subject which is an extremely challenging research project.

Megas has also generated PE and resin parts for this project and produced a truly outstanding scale model.

Regards

David

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

A lot of going on there Tom, but she is looking the better for it.

The pic showing the pot of TET gives more of the size of her.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Indeed - she's a big girl. The Stirling was only three feet smaller in span than a Lanc don't forget, but the fuselage considerably longer. And as for the height when on its gear, it dwarfs both the Halifax and Lancaster! 

8 hours ago, davidl said:

You are brave man Tom !

Speaking of brave  ...

Have you seen the 1/48 seven [7] part tour d' force scratch build by Megas Tsnos in Meng Air Modeller # 63 - 70 ?

Megas' work is a great pictorial reference supplying impossible to find details for a subject which is an extremely challenging research project.

Megas has also generated PE and resin parts for this project and produced a truly outstanding scale model.

Regards

David

Indeed I have, David. I'm a subscriber to Air Modeller so I have been using the Stirling articles as a reference. I've resigned myself that my efforts will not be anything compared to Megas Tsnos' but at least I can dream! His model is in a class of its own - just incredible. Although @woody37 came pretty close with his superb Sanger effort in 1/48th which I've also book-marked and visit regularly. 

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Wow! First, re-design your kit…

🍿

Regards,

Adrian

Yeah… par for the course with these sorts of kit, Adrian. It’s all fun and games. 

13 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Amazing progress in such short time. Well done.

Many thanks, Cees - now it’s back to the fuselage. Fun times!

Late to the party (as always) but I can't wait to see you work your magic. I have the "only slightly better than Airfix" Italeri Stirling in 1:72 scale, so perhaps I may learn something here that will help me out on that baby.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• 2 months later...

Afternoon all,

Work and life in general has conspired against me spending too much time at the bench of late, but I've been making some steady headway with the rear fuselage of the Stirling. With the rear entrance door open, I've created quite a bit more work for myself but with a model this large it's worth going the extra mile. I've spent about 5 sessions at the bench adding the ribs and stringers to the rear fuselage - the visible parts - and each had to be cut from Evergreen and added to the interior:

52582866087_00a12dcd6e_b.jpg

The port side needs a lot less as with the door being on the left, only the structure immediately around the door itself needed to be added:

52583769595_189939cf01_b.jpg

I now need to make the mass of other internal details such as ammo boxes and runs, the rear spar box for the stabilisers, the Elsan toilet, flooring and many other bits and bobs. Plenty to keep me busy over the Xmas holiday...

Regards to all, 

Tom

• Like 28

• tomprobert changed the title to 1/32 Short Stirling - Tigger vacform

Cheers, chaps. This type of stuff is pretty tedious but worth it for the overall effect. Now to add the smaller details - which is always more fun :rolleyes:

Best festive wishes to all!

Tom

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Evening folks. 

The forward fuselage has had some attention of late - an adventure in plastic card and Evergreen:

52643327503_1d5ed4004d_b.jpg

52643110524_17e09119f3_b.jpg

52643327448_7f5ebc0608_b.jpg

52642853291_0d11c151a1_b.jpg

Still lots more to do, but progress is progress…

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 24

• 4 weeks later...

Morning folks!

A little more progress on the Stirling - as it’s half term and I’ve some time away from school, I’ve got a bit more done to this beast. 

The interior areas that are visible have had some more details made and added and a squirt of paint applied.

Here’s the forward fuselage and cockpit area:

52689617647_f2216f4e40_b.jpg

52690136486_ea49598a2a_b.jpg

52690136396_abf51c571c_b.jpg

And the rear:

52690627403_f520a83fce_b.jpg

52690627573_39c2dda3bb_b.jpg

It goes without saying that there is a huge amount to be added to the cockpit, but this is easily accessible and will added just before the canopy goes on to avoid any damage from the filling/sanding/scribing that’s to come. 

I think I’m now ready to join the fuselage halves together which I hope I can get done before the classroom beckons again next week. 

All the best,

Tom

• Like 30