1/32 Short Stirling

Evening all :)

With the waters now settled on my 1/32nd Sunderland build, I thought it about time to start another big vacform... well, to be exact, continue with a long stalled project from a few years ago. I started this Tigger (ex ID Models) vac of the Short Stirling about 5 or 6 years ago and ran out steam, and it had been consigned to the loft since I boxed it up and got distracted with something else. 

A conversation a few months ago with @Cees Broere about the Stirling led him to offer me his also-stalled project with the promise that I'd continue his excellent start and get it finished - an offer I grabbed with both hands considering the excellent start he's made to the cockpit interior which is my least favourite part of building models such as these. I was in the Netherlands with the family last week, to I popped in to see him and picked the beast up - thanks again, Cees!

I've since been for a rummage in the loft and dug my kit out, and now combining the two means I'm confident that I can finally get the job done. So here's where we're at...

This is how far Cees had got with his fuselage:

DSC_0092

And how far I'd got with mine, which as you can see is not very:

DSC_0095

Cees is a wonderfully talented modeller and scratch-builder and has made some beautiful progress with the cockpit area - a great base for me to continue working on:

DSC_0097

DSC_0099

Here are the wings I'd started a few years back - at the time I decided to open up the wing and reveal some of the interior detail. I like to think I've improved my scratch-building skills since then so instead I'll use the wings from Cees' kit and start again:

DSC_0101

DSC_0103

That's a lot of plastic!

DSC_0105

Here are the other parts that include the engine nacelles, stabs and fin, etc - pretty basic stuff but perfectly workable:

DSC_0109

Cees has kindly given me a supply of Bristol Hercules engines as well as various HK Lancaster turret parts which will come in very useful and reduce the amount of scratch-building needed in the future:

DSC_0111

DSC_0113

So... with both my earlier work and Cees' more recent efforts, I certainly have something Stirling shaped which is a great start (or point to continue from) for this project so I'm ready to dive back in!

DSC_0107

The plan is to do a late MkIII variant with open bomb bays and a full bomb-load - squadron and specific aircraft yet to be decided. I'm really not looking forward to tackling the landing gear, but that's a problem for another day. 

Updates are likely to sporadic as the new school term starts imminently but I'll do my best to keep those interested updated on my progress. 

All the best,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 53

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

I'm really not looking forward to tackling the landing gear, but that's a problem for another day. 

You'll need to get the scaffolders in for that stage.

Oh, and Wow! This'll be one to watch.

• Like 1

A 1/32 sale Stirling, this should be pretty amazing, I have always wished for a 1/48 version but this will be a stunning build.

Go for it !

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

11 hours ago, spitfire said:

A 1/32 sale Stirling, this should be pretty amazing, I have always wished for a 1/48 version but this will be a stunning build.

Go for it !

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks, Dennis - but 1/48th? Nah… too small :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 5:46 PM, Jonners said:

Wow, another epic! I reckon the finished model will have a wingspan of about 3 feet. You'll be needing your own hangar...

Yes it'll certainly be getting on that way. Only a few feet smaller than the Lanc...

On 8/30/2022 at 5:58 AM, woody37 said:

Cees has done a lovely job so far on that cockpit.

Indeed he has - the man has serious scratch-building talent!

On 8/30/2022 at 6:42 PM, Cees Broere said:

If anyone can finish this beast, Tom certainly can.

No pressure then..!

I've not had the most amount of time for modelling over the last couple of weeks due to work commitments, but I've been tinkering with the fuselage.

I've added the fuselage windows and cut out the bomb bays and rear undercarriage bays:

Fuse 1

In a moment of madness I've also opened up the rear crew entry door and will add some detail in there:

Fuse 2

One of the most challenging part of building kits such as these is the joining of the fuselage halves - or any surface for that matter - as there are obviously no locating pins and the plastic is quite a bit thinner than normal injection-molded kits. A really simple solution is to add plastic card tabs on alternating sides as you go along the fuselage mating areas:

Fuse 3

...which means when it's time to mate the fuselage halves together, you get a nice area for glue ad you create a very strong join:

Fuse 4

And the underside:

Fuse 5

The next task will be to fashion some interior bulkheads to give the fuselage strength and keep everything nice and rigid. Stay tuned!

All the best,

Tom

• Like 26

I remember about 30 years back, I had the Airfix Stirling which I decorated as a glider tug, painted on invasion stripes, (with no masking tape available at the time), This is going to look fantastic when completed, the Stirling was a massive aircraft, and its a shame that there are no surviving airframes existing anywhere. Very neat and tidy work there, well done!:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Hi Tom,

I notice you have an FN-50 mid upper which was used on the Mk.III but the Mk.III has less fuselage windows on the port side unless you're doing an aircraft that had a later turret retro fitted. I can see you have the earlier turret too, but not sure which way you're going. You have a knack of making these builds look easy! By bench was carnage on the 1/48 one!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, woody37 said:

Hi Tom,

I notice you have an FN-50 mid upper which was used on the Mk.III but the Mk.III has less fuselage windows on the port side unless you're doing an aircraft that had a later turret retro fitted. I can see you have the earlier turret too, but not sure which way you're going. You have a knack of making these builds look easy! By bench was carnage on the 1/48 one!

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info on the turret/window combination - I have been using the Warpaint book's plans and just blindly followed them re. the window arrangement. I certainly do plan on a MkIII so will need to settle on a specific aircraft I think and that'll hopefully give me the info I need, providing I can find actual photo's of course. Filling them in again shouldn't be a problem - I'll have a ponder!

Oh and rest assured the bench is a scene of carnage - I only show you lot the decent bits :rolleyes:

Tom

• Like 6

19 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info on the turret/window combination - I have been using the Warpaint book's plans and just blindly followed them re. the window arrangement. I certainly do plan on a MkIII so will need to settle on a specific aircraft I think and that'll hopefully give me the info I need, providing I can find actual photo's of course. Filling them in again shouldn't be a problem - I'll have a ponder!

Oh and rest assured the bench is a scene of carnage - I only show you lot the decent bits :rolleyes:

Tom

Ha ha, glad mine isn't the only one. I think they introduced the FN50 late in mk.I production so less windows is likely the way to go. I found this out doing an airfix Stirling several years ago and subsequently painted over them afterwards!

Cheers

Hi Tom, 

Wow, this will be a great build to follow. Your Sunderland was fantastic and I am sure this one will be too. 

I think that your donor has done a great job on the cockpit, so credit to him also. 

I will watch in awe, as you progress. Modellers like yourself who create such masterpieces mostly from scratch give us so much, and help us to learn and improve our own modelling skills. 

Kevin 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 3:34 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Ready for Telford then?

(The man's mad I tell you.....Stark Staring Mad)

Ha! I always thought you should have had a career as a comedian, Frank!

On 9/14/2022 at 4:39 PM, Cees Broere said:

How about BK716 Tom. Very interesting history. Google is your friend.🙂

An interesting story indeed - one I will certainly consider...

A little progress over the last week - I've been having a play with the wings whilst I wait for some Evergreen strip to be delivered to rib the rear fuselage. I've sanded the wings to the correct depth and removed the bomb cells in the wings as I plan on having these open:

52369409781_eb57b550f5_b.jpg

The undercarriage bays will also be removed but I want to keep the structural integrity whilst I scribe the panel lines, etc. 

Uppers:

52369828515_c20548e25b_b.jpg

And both sets together:

52369828545_aab63bfa67_b.jpg

I see lots of scribing and making of wing spars in the my future!

Tom

• Like 14

Afternoon all,

A productive week on the Stirling, mainly focused around making the internal structures of the wings and scribing the basic panel detail on the lower wing surfaces. Although vacs such as these are moulded in lovely thick plastic, due to the sheer size of the parts they need lots of strengthening to ensure they don't sag and collapse over time. 1.5mm plastic card is my 'go-to' for this, as it provides ample strength whilst being easy to cut and shape. 

I've discovered that the kit wings are actually a little too thin from top to bottom, so I have made up for this by making the spars the correct depth and I'll build up the leading edges when I comes to mating to wing halves to fix this shortfall. This will also improve the aerofoil shape of the wing as again I think the kit parts are a little off and the upper surfaces too flat. 

Here you can see the substantial spars in place, as well as the wheel bays:

52383139529_ef4cf3ff8e_b.jpg

52381888397_6fed6975ec_b.jpg

The wheel bays themselves are actually quite complex structures of square and tubular spars and I've begun replicating these from Evergreen. It's easier to deal with the deepest part of the bays whilst the wings are free of the fuselage:

52382825891_a4fd77b638_b.jpg

The forward-most section of the bays appears to have some form of hydraulic tanks and bits of tubular structure but I need to find some clearer pictures of this area. Also, as it's quite accessible I will add this once the main construction is compete as it will be no doubt be prone to damage whilst I'm handling the beast:

52383252485_897ca78c26_b.jpg

So here we are as of today - spars in and complete and the basics of the wheel bays done too. There'll be many an hour spent in here in the future, but progress is progress!

52383138954_83f06aac45_b.jpg

52382825951_7452a1e45a_b.jpg

I think I'll have a look at the upper wing surfaces next before thinking about joining the top and bottom halves. Fun times!

Until next time,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 27

Inspiring stuff as always, Tom.

Because you've got so much experience and skill working with these big vacs you make it look straightforward; deceptively so. I know that I'd be struggling with all those myriad decisions and judgment calls that you probably just take in your stride.  

Enjoying this.

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Fritag said:

Inspiring stuff as always, Tom.

Because you've got so much experience and skill working with these big vacs you make it look straightforward; deceptively so. I know that I'd be struggling with all those myriad decisions and judgment calls that you probably just take in your stride.  

Enjoying this.

You're most kind, Steve - I can assure you the workbench is a scene of carnage and I only show you the good bits :rolleyes:

However, having said that, like with anything the more you do something the better you get at it - I certainly make less mistakes than I used to and experience does help, but it's also important to keep in mind that these types of kits are not as scary as they may look as after all it's only cutting bits of plastic to shape!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Good evening guys and gals!

Time for an update on the big Stirling. Over the last couple of weeks I have been continuing to devote my attention to the wings. The kit parts are not the most accurate in terms of aerofoil shape and the top surfaces are too flat and don't capture the real thing particularly well. Therefore, with cunning use of spars I have made an attempt to correct this and replicate the real wing shape more accurately. 

The spars were previously cut to the correct depth following plans, and then I added a large diameter Evergreen tube to the leading edges as this was the correct shape/diameter to capture the curvature of the leading edge. The leading edge was glued first, given 24 hours to dry, and then I glued the forward spar to the upper surface. Again, this was allowed to dry thoroughly before the rear-most spar was glued. This has allowed me to bend the plastic along the full length of the wing and capture the aerofoil shape much better. It's probably easier to see what I mean with a picture:

52436759472_f31c5dc25c_b.jpg

The next problem I encountered was the fact that the nacelles were not deep enough and when the top and bottom halves were joined they were an oval shape rather than circular. This would cause major problems when it comes to adding the engines (plus it's totally inaccurate!) so I measured the diameter of the Beaufighter cooling gills and made four plastic card plates to be glued to the nacelle fronts. The area behind was then built up with P-38 and blended to shape, meaning I now have corrected and perfectly circular mounting points for the engines when the time comes:

52437542694_b36aed1b21_b.jpg

The Revell 1/32nd Hercules engines from the Beaufighter will now fit perfectly:

52437718945_fd24568a99_b.jpg

Lots of blemishes still to be sorted in the above photos, but you get the idea.

With the wing halves joined I thought I'd tackle the ailerons next - Cees had removed these previously as the molding is very soft and the shapes poorly defined. First it was case or prepping them by sanding and thinning the trailing edges:

52437784293_1d9d2a4980_b.jpg

For some reason the upper surface of the port aileron was 4mm too short, so I lengthened this with some plastic card bent to the correct shape and blended in (red arrow). I next added some plastic strip to the rear of the wings (blue arrow) to ensure a nice and strong join:

Aileron

Finally, they were glued in position - the fit was almost perfect which was probably more luck than carefully planning on my part!

52436760057_325ed89006_b.jpg

The Stirling has very distinctive fuel cell covers in the upper wing surface - the Sunderland has the same and I made these from thin plastic card on that model and was very pleased with the effect. Although not strictly accurate, I liked the effect as it made the very large wing surface more three-dimensional and therefore I decided to do the same with the Stirling. First of all I made some card templates - these can then be drawn around and flipped over to do the reverse on the opposite wing, saving errors on expensive plastic card in the process:

52437720395_0540786c7d_b.jpg

These were then transferred on to plastic card before being glued to the wing surfaces:

52437784533_5e299edaf8_b.jpg

A top tip for making wingtip lights - cut out the shape with a saw and line with plastic card:

52437540749_47a7eee727_b.jpg

File and sand to shape and they're ready for some clear sprue:

52437721255_537c0ee9f5_b.jpg

I've also added various other raised areas to keep things interesting and have tried to capture my scribing etc. in the light in this shot. It also shows off the effective aerofoil modification:

DSC_0167

The undersides still have a lot of work to do on them, but I need access to the spars when it comes to joining the wings to the fuselage so these will remain as is for the time being. The wheel bays and flap area will also be finished off when the fuselage and wings are joined to avoid damage to these areas:

DSC_0170

DSC_0180

DSC_0172

The uppers have really come to life with the tank covers, life raft hatch as well as various access panels:

DSC_0183

DSC_0182

DSC_0165

Having corrected the aerofoil shape highlights just how out the original kit's wing position is - Cees was already on the case with this as removed the raised section on his fuselage for good reason!

DSC_0194

And that brings you up to speed for now.

Until next time, all the best,

Tom

• Like 35