Carved P-51D 1/48

Howdy Britmodellers, hope you are all keeping well.
I can't believe how fast the summer has rushed past. I guess the ongoing apocalypse tends to distract one from the more important things like hobbies.

Anyway, here's a P-51D (roughly 1/48) carved from an old bannister. 

52317499745_944299f209_b.jpg 
52316256302_953dee54c7_b.jpg 
52316256487_ec9f1ff26f_b.jpg 
52317373343_a2c39febd2_b.jpg 
52317500580_cf57dacb03_b.jpg 
52316257152_9d1c6f77dd_b.jpg 
52317056326_d0c6bb19c1_b.jpg 

Thanks for viewing; comments always welcome.

• Like 69
  • Thanks 1

Great model! :D

I simply don't understand how you do it! :hmmm:

A woodcarver once told me that there's a model in the wood somewhere and that he only removed what's not supposed to be there, and that's it, but surely it's much more to it than that! :winkgrin:

Well done indeed! :goodjob:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I’m not sure how this escaped my attention for so long but I’ve just found it and am very happy I did.

In a way my own scratchbuilding career started with a wooden P-51. When I was about ten years old, dad spent an afternoon roughly carving a great-big P-51 out of a few lumps of pine. I’m guessing it was about 1/24 scale. It was carved by eye and was left unpainted, at least until it was turned into a wind-vane and stuck on the shed roof.

I was greatly taken by this model and about a week later decided I could do  ‘the same but better’ except in 1/72 scale with a Mk XIV Spitfire. That’s how I started scratchbuilding.

• Like 2

Thanks Steve (and all other commenters). There's something deeply satisfying about being able to turn a block of old wood into a recognisable object using simple hand tools and an endless supply of tea.

Absolutely brilliant.

This is really impressive modelling.

Personally, I feel that the purity of the wood work would have been brought more to the forefront had the Mustang been carved gear up.

Having said that, you are all entitled to start throwing all sorts of rotten fruit and veg at me!

Congratulations!

JR

• Like 1

That is some might fine whittling you have done here.  Just a great wooden piece with some very artistic skills utilized to capture the look of a Mustang.  Excellent work.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1