Big, White and Cancelled... and finished

IanHx

Might as well jump in, doesn't come any more Canadian than this. Well, maybe if you posed it next to a moose and a Mountie....    :)

IMG20220828141524

The infamous Avro Arrow......

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 7

Ok, first kit impressions are poor. Really poor.  The instruction  part numbers and runner letters do not match what is on the plastic, No hint as to what colour the interior should be. Would be more intelligible if drafted by a dyslexic gibbon !

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Tony Edmundson said:

Interior would be FS 36231 as per all late 50s jets.

my sympathies on deciphering HC instructions

Tony

Thanks for that, have gone with Humbrol 140 which seems to this untrained eye to be "close enough".

Have got past the main contentious bit (instructions seemed to show cockpit divider underneath instead of on top of front cockpit bulkhead),

so fingers crossed its going to be plain sailing.....

• Like 2

I've got one of those. Was toying with the idea of building it for this GB too. Should I decided value my kit too? But my mojo comes and goes so it stays in the box for now. I do have a few other suitable kits I could do  though yet currently I don't have the motivation.

13 minutes ago, Paul J said:

I've got one of those. Was toying with the idea of building it for this GB too. But my mono comes and goes so it stays in the box for now. I do have a few other suitable kits I could do  though yet currently I don't have the motivation.

In that case I'll attempt to be informative too :)

Spent ages trying to get an idea of what the ejection seats were supposed fo look like.

In the end, found this :

avro_arrow_3jpg.jpeg

Story behind it :

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2011/12/18/piece_of_canadian_aircraft_history_turns_up_in_england.html

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 2

In contrast to the awkward nose and very complicated undercarriage, the main fuselage section is very straightforward and has a really good tongue & pin system to ensure correct location of wings

IMG20220903074645

• Like 10

Great to see someone tackling a '105, I have both the the 1/72 and 1/48 kits, Sometimes I look at them, and then put them back in the box...

You might just inspire me to actually do something with them!

• 2 weeks later...

aaargh....  just when I think the kit has no more curve-balls to throw,  it turns out its got 2 left feet....

Or more specifically, 2 left main gear bogies....   remove a wheel, cut off the diagonal strut from rear, reattach to front...

and get the CA out coz I'm too impatient to wait for ordinary glue to dry sufficiently :)

The rear landing gear doors needed a bit of figuring out too....     after much consulting Google  (this link below was useful)  realised I had to cut the tops off, glue the big part to the leg, and the little top bit to the wing....

https://www.silverhawkauthor.com/post/canadian-warplanes-6-jets-avro-cf-105-arrow

• Like 1

Now, for the really big question....    Hunbrol 209  (fluorescent fire orange)  or 238  (arrow red)  ???

I've seen pictures that seem to suggest either....   but can't help thinking that perhaps the clue is in the name ?  🤔

6 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Now, for the really big question....    Hunbrol 209  (fluorescent fire orange)  or 238  (arrow red)  ???

I've seen pictures that seem to suggest either....   but can't help thinking that perhaps the clue is in the name ?  🤔

The answer is Modelmaster Fire Orange or Red, or Vallejo over Gamesworkshop yellow...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Starting to look like an Arrow now....  despite my best attempts to accidentally remove bits of decal with Tamiya tape !

IMG20221005205000

Might actually be in danger of finishing a group build on time :)

• Like 6

• IanHx changed the title to Big, White and Cancelled... and finished