Hasegawa SOC-3 Curtiss Seagull. 1/72.

On 28/08/2022 at 15:24, Markh-75 said:

I'm delighted with this little model! My last attempt did not reach this stage. One of my more recent builds was the Curtiss Seamew; this was to be the aircraft that the crews progressed to after the Seagull but many reviled the Seamew so much that they went back to using the Seagull again!

Intended to replace the Vought 03U Corsair series as the standard scout/observation biplane aboard Aircraft Carriers, Battleships and Cruisers of the US Navy. The Seagull prototype was formed in 1933 and became the leading observation/scout biplane along with the Grumman F2F and F3F.

The seagull's long and distinguished operational career as "The Navy's Eye" is notable in the history of US Naval campaigns; it was to be succeeded by the Seamew but many reverted to flying the Seagull again until the role was handed to the Vought OS2U Kingfisher in service.

Painted with Humbrol and Revell enamel paints.

This was a very interesting little build because it had to be painted as I built it, instead of being painted afterwards. I used the decals that were in the box, they were still quite usable despite their age! They did need some patience though, they seemed to take a while to stick down to the surface of the model; I applied a decal or two onto the forward fuselage before fitting the upper wings simply because I would have had a problem fitting them to a finished model with the upper wings fitted and in the way and having my tree-trunk fingers!:yikes: I also had to apply decals to the main float under the fuselage before I could attach it to the model but it worked out okay. The decals fitted to the waist and tail areas went on without a hitch but the ones on the wings took rather a long time to adhere to the surface despite using Microset and Microsol; but again they were fine once dry.

IMG-1194.jpg I fitted wooden clothes-pegs to the lower wings so that I could turn the model over and fit the decals to the upper wings.:idea: This allowed to to carry on knowing that the underwing decals were not being damaged!

IMG-1195.jpg

IMG-1196.jpg  I used the same idea after the decals were all fitted for when I had to turn the model over again to fit the floats!

IMG-1197.jpg The tape was required to pull the main float over to one side because once attached it was sitting a bit off line, the tape is holding it central while the glue dries!

IMG-1198.jpg The little wing floats were so easy to fit! I fitted the extra stays to the float first and then held each one upside down in a clothes peg allowing the stays to sink to the correct angle; when I fitted the float assemblies to the wings they popped straight into their mounting holes!:goodjob:

IMG-1208.jpg They even supplied this nifty little stand for the model!:wow:

Once I had the decals on and happy, I varnished the whole model with Klear, I had applied it before I applied the decals, but I always varnish over them to seal them before I varnish with anything else. Now all the decals are on and the floats are fitted, the model is now ready for pictures!😀

IMG-1199.jpg

IMG-1200.jpg

IMG-1201.jpg

IMG-1202.jpg

IMG-1203.jpg

IMG-1204.jpg

IMG-1205.jpg

IMG-1206.jpg The chevron on the wing is actually dark blue; it just looks black.

IMG-1207.jpg

My next build is the Vought OS2U Kingfisher.:nodding:

Nice, well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2022 at 2:55 AM, jean said:

I can say I knew of no glaring mistake, I painted this to the instructions, if the instructions are not correct, is that MY mistake? When models are built and painted it is up to the builder of the model to paint what he thinks is right, go by the plans, or even just use their imagination

It depends on what you are trying to do. @jean is correct as far as I can see. You can take his point or ignore it. Enjoyment of the build is my main aim.

You have done a very nice model there, and a bonus is the well-explained construction sequence and clear pictures.

I have built a couple of these and it is a nice little kit. It fits together well and seems to be accurate enough. The only improvement would be better colour notes and a rigging diagram.

• Like 1