USAFE Phantom (1/72 Accurate Miniatures F-4D)

I was originally tempted to try this in the Blitzbuild...but I wasn't sure the paints I had to order were going to make it in time.  I meant to just put it away and come back to it another time...but next thing I knew it was falling together.  So here I am.

The kit is a 2008 release of the 1985 Monogram F-4C/D kit.  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/accurate-miniatures-0410-f-4-c-d-phantom-ii-col-robin-olds--146107 

They, there were 2 of them, were acquired on the cheap due to the fact they were missing boxes, instructions, and decals.  Boxes aren't a deal breaker, instructions are easy enough to come by thanks to Scalemates, and a set of Xtradecals USAFE Phantoms were sourced from evilbay (I think).  It's been awhile.

52316021063_bd76951b2b_c.jpg

• Like 8

The bits that have fallen together.  I'm trying to go at this with a bit of Blitzbuilder mentality...trying not to get caught up on all the little things.  I've got plenty of 1/48 Rhinos I can detail to my heart's content.  Need to KISS theory this one.  Get it built, get it painted, and move one.  Build it like the 17 year old me would've built it...just a bit tidier.  :P

A little putty.  Decided I'm not going to concern myself with the details along the spine.  I'd rather have a clean join, than a seam and extra raised details.  Also got some paint down behind the splitters.

52316131764_826f733ecc_c.jpg

The cockpit.  Decent details for early/mid '80s.  Better than some companies do today.  :D  Still need to add the stick and tops of the bang seats.

52316131989_f85991649d_c.jpg

• Like 15

This is surprisingly well tooled kit, basically scaled down from the 1/48 kit, cockpit detail on this kit for is fantastic. I have built this as a "C" model and I have a "J" model in the works. I remember cleaning up the spine and using a brass tubing punch to restore the round shapes. Thanks for sharing this.

JB

• Like 2

Making steady progress.  I didn't realize the back of the cockpit tub was actually supposed to be the exterior spine of the aircraft until I went to fit up the canopy.  Oops.  A little filler styrene stock and none will be the wiser once its covered in paint.  :whistle:

52335089364_0ee297e843_c.jpg

• Like 5

Looking very nice! You're certainly building your F-4 faster than I'm building my Fine Molds F-4E (although part of that is due to problems with trying to get my airbrush operational, again).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.  Doing my best not to get bogged down by little issues.  There will be lots of little flaws with this one...and that's ok.  Experimenting with some different paint ideas and trying to keep a semi-Blitzbuild mentality on this one.  No rescribing, keeping the raised panel lines.  No additional detailing.  I've still got my 1/48 EJ Kai in the works (at the decal and small assemblies stage) and fixing to open up a 1/48 F-15I for the local club's Israeli Build (need to try to finish by end of the year).  Just trying to keep it simple and the mojo flowing on this one.  Plenty of others to get bogged down on.  :lol:  Goal is to have this one finished up by the next club meeting on the 24th.

Love to try a Fine Molds one some day.  Actually ended up with some nice Turkish AF decals for an E.  Be a prime candidate for one of those.

• Like 2

Remembered after the fact I had a set of slime light decals I picked up from a model show a few years back.  Score!  Looking a little more complete now. 

52356314016_04c39b25e6_c.jpg

Armament also showed up today.  Also in the pic are some other odds and ends that have been acquired over the past couple weeks for other projects.

52356729975_c5fa334968_c.jpg

• Like 9

Hello Chris,

It's a great job, well done.:clap:
Seeing your build makes me want to take out my 1/48 F4 Monogram that has been in dust endurance for seven or eight years. I just etched the plastic.

You have just told me that the model you are building is a 1/72 scale reduction of the larger scale Monogram model. Indeed, it must be well detailed.

Finally, I discovered the interest of Molotow liquid chrome markers on a Utube video. It will greatly facilitate the colouring of polished landing gear cylinders.👍

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Thanks 1

Flat coat on.  Masks off, you can see the faint blue tint to the front windscreen now.  Starting to assemble the gear.  I did have a bit of an oopsie...so there is a bit of a "repair" area on the STBD wing.  It definitely makes the "fading" in the clears more apparent.  :whistle:  

52382055289_80631e913e_c.jpg

• Like 9

Building up the new AIM-9s.

52393927456_cf1a16b062_c.jpg

Some metal work experimentation using some inspiration from a couple modelers on another site.  Needless to say the results are a far cry from their handiwork...as to be expected.  Passable enough for this go around I think.  Probably going to stick with the spray method on the Kai as I want a cleaner look for that one.

52394366395_1b94e46e9f_c.jpg

Overhead shot to see the differential in the center panel on the stab.  Also visible is the patch repair on the starboard wing.  Probably going to do a bit more work in that area later.  There is still too much of a hard line if you really look at it.

52393437602_00b42f738c_c.jpg

• Like 8

Just need to take some final pictures, but she is done for now.  There are a couple issues I may address later, or maybe not.  We'll see.  I still need to try to get some decent pics here in the next couple days.

• Like 1