AdrianMF’s 1/72 KP Sopwith Swallow

AdrianMF

Hi there. After a lot of dithering on my part and changing plans on my family’s part, I am going to build this:

1-C1-C3-F88-BD74-49-E8-B55-C-F4-E0-F2-DE

7-C4-B7-F42-935-C-48-B3-9-EF1-3-EB0994-A

A810-F27-F-AB57-4-EC9-9197-B0-FA1-C67813

Some time before the start of Tuesday!

I will put up a formal start photo when I get to start.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 16

Just picked up one of these too Adrian. 👍

I was slightly put off by the wing rib detail which looked a bit clumsy (although I'm sure you have a plan in mind) so went with the Roland dII which is currently being worked on in between rigging the Nieuport

Paul

This was brunch, left over from yesterday with home made chutney:

208162-FC-D940-4805-8-B1-B-E70-D654-BD9-

I didn’t want to be under time pressure eating it, so I didn’t start at brunch time and fiddled about with Spifires instead. Now that I’ve just announced I’m going to lock myself in the study for some Urgent and Important modelling, I’ve been told I’m on taxi duty :(

I’ll get there…

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6

The Swallow is a great choice. In a strange coincidence I finished my Swallow only last week. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

It of course does lead to one odd observation, as far as I can think it’s the only Sopwith named after an animal that can fly…

• Haha 1

Btw if you’re looking for an alternative scheme ( personally  I’m pretty bored with PC10 and CDL) Google Sopwith Scooter and you’ll find some pretty gnatty  civil schemes .

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

post images is back now! Must have been a glitch. Phew!

Anyhow, I recently read a build of the KP new Sopwith Triplane vs the old Revell one. The builder/reviewer couldn’t declare a knockout for KP, which I thought was amazing given the age of the Revell kit and the current state of the moulds.

Now I’ve seen this one, I can see why. There’s undoubtedly some lovely moulding but it feels like mould separation lines have been designed in, and the most important set of holes in the kit (on the wing for the struts) are not aligned right! I had to enlarge the hole, mess about with the struts then fill the big hole with superglue, smooth it down and re-drill. Sorted now, I hope:
B34-D96-EE-112-B-4-D95-9-D99-E6-DCC54-DA

Cockpit detailing is nice:

56482-F5-D-48-D3-4-E16-9897-EC65-AB4-EB6

A splash of paint:

72-CD6476-F107-4-CD2-9554-45-A74-F7-EA82

• Like 9

Well, once you’ve done the inside, you need to hide it:

A701-EFC3-5479-429-E-A349-AB3-FEBD5-C066

The kit continues to frustrate - really nicely detailed guns which don’t fit (top one trimmed):

53-DEFF9-D-D7-B4-4-ADB-9590-AFCC98-F1-E1

Got to here by 8pm (3 hours 10 minutes):

700-EDE7-B-06-B2-46-A7-8-FE3-70874-C7174

I’ve had dinner and watched Galaxy Quest (excellent!) on catchup and I’m going to do a bit more in a mo…

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Marklo said:

it’s the only Sopwith named after an animal that can fly…

Sopwith Cuckoo, a torpedo bomber. They did pick some funny names…

Anyway, restarting at 11:20:

3-D0-BF02-E-9369-4-D6-F-B866-2-A085-F57-

Cleanup and some paint, I think. Going to try something a bit different for the wings that doesn’t involve yards of 1mm masking tape…

• Like 5

Five hours and twenty minutes later:

62-BA1265-F52-E-48-ED-B53-B-823-D3-C114-

I’ve painted the flying surfaces, tried and failed at a wash technique, stripped them back and repainted the under surfaces. Guns, engine and cowling are on (engine and hence prop are fixed :(), the front fuselage is painted and the wing alignment is sorted. Not my greatest session ever but at 8 and a half hours cumulative, still on track for 24 hours elapsed finish. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Sopwith Cuckoo, a torpedo bomber. They did pick some funny names…

Had forgotten that one. Now that I think of it there’s also the Snipe and the Dragon. Most of the names have a story behind them, but nobody knows why the Dolphin got its name.

Nice build so far.

Edited by Marklo

Back on the case:

51-A1-AA74-18-C4-4-E8-F-814-E-604024-A93

I have written a todo list and it looks rather forbidding!

Breakfast was a croissant and a cuppa but my hands got sticky so I missed the WIP, just an RFI:

ABC8-F8-ED-C37-B-4054-8-B60-0-FE22636-CA

Time to crack on and cross some stuff off!

• Like 2

Sadly I think the superhero option is slipping away. I’ve got to here:

A5251382-24-DD-4-B22-B0-DB-7059625034-A5

In the “dog ate my homework” department, we have:

* Mrs MF turning up with a secateur/finger incident that required attention and dressing (and tea and sympathy). Forgot to stop the clock for that.

* Decals are incredibly thin and fragile, requiring a deal of wrestling into place and repair.

* The kit continues to frustrate, with vague undercarriage fittings and struts that aren’t symmetrical, and wheel covers with stitching round the rims, making it really hard to get a good hub/tyre boundary.

Moan, moan. It will be done by close of play today in under 24 hours. 12h25min so far…

• Like 11

Gidday Adrian, sorry to hear of Mrs MF's accident with the secateurs. Hope she's OK. Mrs AA had a similar accident with secateurs a long time ago. Seems gardening is a dangerous pastime. Think I'll stick with crocodile wrestling, cobra snake charming, bushfire fighting and modeling as pastimes. Good luck with the swallow. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

all done and dusted

Thanks Dave. I’m finding it quite frustrating (as you can tell from my constant whining!) but we are getting there…

34 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

accident with the secateurs

The moral of that story is “don’t run your finger down the blade of new secateurs to clean off an itsy bitsy spot of dirt”. Surprisingly deep.

And something I can’t blame KP for…

I’d forgotten that last week I had forgotten (see a trend here?) that today is a holiday, so I’m demonstrating a product to some US folks a 6pm. I need to configure it all first, so modelling will resume after that. 🙄

• Sad 1

Agh. Did the demo call, someone else spotted I was online, spent another 40 mins explaining something I thought shouldn’t need explaining. Anyhow, time for a stagger towards the finish line:

BE634-AA5-E957-4884-8-EF0-308-BCEF7-AED1

Boba milk tea mochi ball. Mmmm…

• Like 5