Rare and unusual Yak-38 Camo -- Ukraine (Revell 1/72)

Yak-38 "Forger" | Revell | 1/72

Ukrainian Air Force, Severniy airfield, Kirovskoye, Crimea, 1993

mnl3Y2k.jpg

Finished this on 8/26/2022.  This was a restoration of a Revell I built in High School, which meant stripping paint, dis-assembling and re-assembling, filling in panel lines, and either buying or scratch building details.  Unfortunately the kit is not terribly accurate, being too long and too narrow.  However, as a whole, it looks more like the real thing than the HobbyCraft version.  The most accurate in 1/72 is AModel, but it's out of production and I wasn't able to find one.

About this aircraft (adapted from the Begemot decals sheet):  This Yak-38M was the second pre-serial aircraft and belonged to the Yakolev bureau.  Stationed at Seerniy airfield , Korvskoye, Crimea at the end of the 1970's.  Initially this aircraft had standard blue color scheme. This aircraft took part in test flights during different research programs.  It took part in test flights from a civilian ship during May 1984, taking off and landing from a special platform mounted on board the "Nikolay Cherkasov" container carrier.  During August 1990, this aircraft was used for test flights from the deck of the newly built "Tiblisi" carrier.  Before these test, the aircraft was repainted in this unusual scheme.  After the break-up of the USSR, it was turned over to Ukraine.  At the end of the 1990s, the aircraft was donated to the Vinnitsa aviation museum where it was repainted and exhibited to this day.

That last sentence is important because Yellow 83 at Vinnitsa has a different medium blue color (much brighter) and the light gray and medium blue are reversed in the color scheme when compared to the operational versions (a picture of the operation version is here: https://russianplanes.net/id24849).  My version is the operational version.

This project initially started with a HobbyCraft kit in my stash, but when I decided the Revell looked more accurate, I finished the HobbyCraft to figure out how to do some of the details, and then started on the Revell.

WIP is here.

Finishing: CA filled gaps and panel lines

Paint: Mr. Color FS15042 (dusted with cobalt blue to lighten it up) / Mr. Color FS35164 / Hataka RAF Medium Sea Gray / Mr. Color IJA Gray (bottom) / Mr. Color FS36375 (wheel bays) / Custom mix of Russian interior green and FS36375 for the Cockpit.

Aftermarket: Begemot Decals / Armory Yakovlev Yak-38 Forger wheels / Quickboost MiG-29A Ejection Seat w/Safety Belts

UmKwEJg.jpg

7g8aBMU.jpg

fDgAQIu.jpg

GD5Xjml.jpg

gXR1zvs.jpg

DHcGmlm.jpg

xn8Qrss.jpg

ZuKL16H.jpg

XWzSBLf.jpg

m9Mgfpg.jpg

93pBAYA.jpg

Mv1YYS6.jpg

Some details I had to fabricate:

Here you can see the IFF antennas in front of the cockpit.  They were difficult because they were so small, but they look more realistic than the ones that came with the kit.  There's also the protruding sensor coming out of the windshield, which I made from scratch.  The two bent antennas and the long pitot tube came with the kit.

zOLEdfH.jpg

I scratch built this little antenna:

t276ts0.jpg

Here's some main gear doors extending from the fuselage to the main gear:

ShdYNXG.jpg

These sensors under the intake (one on either side):

u7xB3M0.jpg

I made this directional control nozzle out of a glass bead, and I sanded down the white colored sensors because they were molded bigger and at sharp angles which is not very accurate:

e2hBaXt.jpg

And here's the ejection seat next to what's left of the kit seat:

BHFgxx6.jpg

Here's a "Before" photo.  Not terrible, but I knew I could do better.

8hj3EoY.jpg

Love the decals

VkjbX9W.jpg

Hope you like it!  Questions, comments and constructive criticism welcome!

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

Great work on the restoration, it is always nice to see when a kit gets a second lease of life. The camo scheme really stands out and is well executed 👍 Even if not the most accurate kit, it looks every inch (or centimeter) like a Yak-38.

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Thanks 1

A very nice refurbishment of a kit I’ve never seen. 
interesting the differences between the two kits of the same aircraft. 
The Revell kit (or maybe yakolev) look like they took the wing of the harrier bolted to the front end of a scimitar with any random radome and tail they had spare 😂 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Nice build. 

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great job on restoring this old kit. An unusual scheme too. Looks wonderful. 

Chris

Thanks guys!  I really do like the camo scheme.  I think the operation Romb scheme would be pretty cool too...

• Like 1

Wow!

What an incredible restoration

Love the new version

You really have done a fine job on the resto with the new livery, decals and overall finish

Top stuff

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BerndM said:

Great idea to save an old build and turn it to something new.

:thumbsup:

The camo scheme looks fine on the Yak.

10 hours ago, Winenut said:

Wow!

What an incredible restoration

Love the new version

You really have done a fine job on the resto with the new livery, decals and overall finish

Top stuff

Thanks!  I just can't let plastic go to waste... :D

10 hours ago, kiseca said:

Very nice build. Shocking how different the shapes of the two different kits are, but I guess back then they didn't have much to go on except some grainy photos

Yeah... it's pretty amazing isn't it?  Different interpretations of what may have been the same photos.

8 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Really nice restoration and upgrade work! The camo scheme is great too - well done 

3 hours ago, Mark Turk said:

Good job with the scratch building.  They were a nice improvemet to the kit.

Mark

Thank you!

On 8/31/2022 at 1:47 PM, russ c said:

Really nice Forger Opus, love the scheme too. Great job. The other`s very nice too

Thanks!  Despite how inaccurate the HobbyCraft is, I like how it turned out!

On 8/31/2022 at 2:20 PM, Samuraiwarrior said:

Hi, 

A nice restoration of your old kit, into something a little bit different. 

I like it and you should be pleased with the final item, it looks really cool. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Kevin 

11 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very very cool!

Thanks!

On 8/31/2022 at 4:40 PM, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

Nice to see an old kit restored! I still have a small stash of kits from my school years that I need to save.

I have to agree that the Revell kkit looks better. It's too slim but the overall shape is closer to a real Yak-38, the other kit looks far too square and boxier.

Thank you!  The first thing my wife said when she first saw the Hobby Craft all glued together was: "Why is it so boxy?  Is it supposed to be that way?".  That's when I knew the Revell was the one to go with for my project. :D

• Haha 1