Help needed to identify a mystery pod on an F4D Skyray.

Hello everyone … Im trying to figure out what the little grey pod is on the inboard port pylon. Its not the Navigation pod could it be a data link pod for a AGM-12 Bull-pup ? 

https://www.pinterest.jp/pin/43980533849519298/

F4D’s were normally used for high altitude/high speed interception but could carry air to ground ordnance as they list rocket pods and iron bombs in descriptions. Could they also carry Bull-pup’s ? Any help is always gratefully received. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

If I see a photo I want to post from the web, I do a reverse image search to look for the owner of the photo. Chances are the photo may be from Wiki such as the above which I cropped. Wiki states, "This file is a work of a sailor or employee of the U.S. Navy, taken or made as part of that person's official duties. As a work of the U.S. federal government, it is in the public domain in the United States." Safe to post as it is "Public Domain"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got Ginter's book, "Douglas F4D Skyray" and there is a drawing that says "External Stores F4D-1 Skyray". In that stores location it says there was something called a Mk.1 Mod. 2 Target Container. Google shows nothing

• Thanks 1

It is a container for “sleeve type or banner type” towed targets according to the flight manual. Both types used the same stainless steel cable to trail behind the aircraft. Lowering the tail hook would release the cable should you find yourself on target towing duty in an F4D.😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I should ad a caveat. According to the flight manual that is the only approved store other than a rocket pod. Sidewinders are not mentioned meaning the flight manual I found online predated the Sidewinders. There may have been other external stores approved after that. Also, I can’t find a pic of the target container identifying it as that. 

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure that pod provides the capability to score unguided rocket accuracy. The picture is from a Navy fighter competition and all the F4Ds are carrying that pod (unguided rockets were its primary armament for an interception of a jet bomber). Note that the target tow devices of the time were very different and only one or two jets would need to be equipped with it. It may be a USAF pod since it is a slightly different gray color. I've not found any identification of it or seen it on other aircraft.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

I'm pretty sure that pod provides the capability to score unguided rocket accuracy. The picture is from a Navy fighter competition and all the F4Ds are carrying that pod (unguided rockets were its primary armament for an interception of a jet bomber). Note that the target tow devices of the time were very different and only one or two jets would need to be equipped with it. It may be a USAF pod since it is a slightly different gray color. I've not found any identification of it or seen it on other aircraft.

Hello TT could the grey be Engine grey like that used on utility aircraft like those used at missile test ranges ?  The pod itself may still be an air force pod borrowed but the grey looks like engine grey ?

5 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

I should ad a caveat. According to the flight manual that is the only approved store other than a rocket pod. Sidewinders are not mentioned meaning the flight manual I found online predated the Sidewinders. There may have been other external stores approved after that. Also, I can’t find a pic of the target container identifying it as that. 

Thank you as someone on another forum I talked to mentioned. Even without knowing what it is I could still scratch build it and mount it. It is in the photo and was obviously used on more than one aircraft. 

44 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello TT could the grey be Engine grey like that used on utility aircraft like those used at missile test ranges ?  The pod itself may still be an air force pod borrowed but the grey looks like engine grey ?

My guess was that it might be "Air Defense Command Gray"; it seems a bit lighter than engine gray. I also assumed that the pod was specifically designed to look forward to somehow record the pattern of the rockets that the airplane it was on had fired.

Edited by Tailspin Turtle
  • Like 1

Curious if you’re building a specific BuNo. or replicating a specific air wing or period. I’m currently working on the ‘76 Airfix kit and going with the Navy markings included from VF-213. 

Most references I’ve seen indicate the outer pylons were bare, drop tanks on the middle pylons and AIM-9s on the inner pylons, with the NAVCOM pack on centerline. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maximilian said:

Curious if you’re building a specific BuNo. or replicating a specific air wing or period. I’m currently working on the ‘76 Airfix kit and going with the Navy markings included from VF-213. 

Most references I’ve seen indicate the outer pylons were bare, drop tanks on the middle pylons and AIM-9s on the inner pylons, with the NAVCOM pack on centerline. 

Id love to do VF-74 like the photo, sadly the only decals are either in Europe or on Ebay. I cant afford either, and Ive tried to buy or trade for them here on the Forum. I’ve had no luck. So my next three options are to scrape the markings from spares, find spares for VF-213 or the box cover scheme of VF(aw)-3. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Just now, Maximilian said:

Are you building the old Airfix 1/72 kit? I’ve put the Tamiya 1/72 in my stash but I’m not allowing myself to undo the shrinkwrap until I button up this kit as I know I’ll get distracted. 

No Im using the newer Tamiya mold, I know there are a few options out there. However when you only get $560.00 in disability a month your budget isn't very good. So its really curtailed my ability to order from overseas and pay for Ebay/shipping.