RAF Tan Son Nhut, 273 Squadron Spitfire FR Mk.XIV

G'day all;

WIP linked below.  As usual, it's wordy, conversational and collaborative, and describes the build and finish.  In summary; I built this with the KMC correction set plus its resin cockpit; all of the markings are painted using masks I made on a Silhouette cutter except for the few stencil decals.  Here's the long version...

While the Academy kit is clearly flawed, and even after the installation of the KMC correction it remained so, it still ended up looking quite like a Mk.XIV, and I'm quite pleased with that.

The kit gave me no real problems to solve, it's one of the sad ironies that it is so well engineered and produced while being so fundamentally flawed.  This build also became the catalyst for a mini unofficial Mk.XIV GB across two different scales and three different manufacturers.  Stand by for a tsunami of Mk.XIV's to follow this one...  

To the pics;

First, the reference...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers.

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 62
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the comments and likes, much appreciated.

9 hours ago, giemme said:

I cannot comment on the kit flaws, but the end result is outstanding! :clap::clap:

Ciao 

Thank you!  In simple terms the kit is overweight!  It’s all just a bit chunky.

7 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Looking forward to the Mk. XIV tsunami!

Terry

Me too!  There’s some fabulous builds coming down the line.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Thanks, all.

4 hours ago, Autle said:

It looks really good especially the spinner, weathering also looks spot on to my eyes.

I kept the weathering really light because I couldn’t see anything on the reference pic that would have suggested otherwise, not even exhaust stains.  I really wanted to do a heavily weathered, sun-bleached airframe but it just wasn’t so!

Excellent work, love the color scheme.

Despite its flaws the Academy kit is a peferct mojo restorer. I have really enjoyed building them back in the days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark,

First across the line and a beautiful finish as ever. I'll be very happy if mine turns out half as well as this,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dunny said:

First across the line and a beautiful finish as ever. I'll be very happy if mine turns out half as well as this,

Me too.

Following behind slowly and probably last over the line

John.   🇺🇦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BerndM said:

Excellent work, love the color scheme.

Despite its flaws the Academy kit is a peferct mojo restorer. I have really enjoyed building them back in the days.

Agreed, such a user friendly kit, a real pleasure to work with.

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Mark,

Cheers,

Roger

Well, to be fair, I did start first too.  I’m quite sure yours will turn out at least as well.

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Me too.

Following behind slowly and probably last over the line

John.   🇺🇦

Well, not so fast there John, I may just circle back and close out the GB with another of my own 🤔

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mark.au said:

close out the GB with another of my own 🤔

You sly fox you - a twist in the the tale..

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2022 at 11:18 PM, Winenut said:

That is one clipped wing sexy beast!

Love the version and camo

Top stuff

Thanks!  I’m not usually a fan of clipped wing Spitfires but it does suit the Griffon engined more than the Merlin engined.

On 8/30/2022 at 11:21 PM, Alpha Juliet said:

WOW!!

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Missed the finish of this whilst on hols; but tracked her down.  Typically gorgeous painting, Mark.  Really like the subtle finishing.

Thanks mate.  I was going to call you to let you know it was done but I guessed that the mobile reception was rubbish that far north 😊

• Haha 1