Doom and Gloom or Cheer and Silliness

One 48

Dear Modelling friends, these really are dark uncertain times we live in just now, nobody needs to be reminded of that, we all know what's happening in the world beyond our control, we'll get through it though, oh yes we will.

Lots of Brits here and welcome worldwide members too, we as Brit's are famous for silliness during a crisis, Monty Python, Dads Army and more. Its not that we don't take it seriously, we do, but after you have done as much as you can it comes time to de-stress, so all stress reliving nonsense welcome :)

So without further ado, lets get silly if you feel stressed as I am just now, the sillier the better please ,,,, consider it venting without getting political :)

"
There came a girl from France Who didn't know how to dance The only thing that she could do Was knees up Mother Brown Oh, knees up Mother Brown Knees up Mother Brown Knees up, knees up, never let the breeze up, Knees up Mother Brown Oh, hopping on one foot Hopping on one foot Hopping, hopping, never stopping Hopping on one foot Oh, knees up Mother Brown Knees up Mother Brown Knees up, knees up, never let the breeze up, Knees up Mother Brown Oh, prancing up and down Prancing up and down Prancing, prancing, never dancing Prancing up and down Oh, knees up Mother Brown"

Does anyone from UK remember a show called "The Good Old Days"? My Late Mum and Dad used to watch it all the time, and as a consequence of me and younger sisters back then when only 1 TV per household was considered a luxury, we had no choice but to watch it too and was quite fun ... well OK Fun is a bit of a stretch word, would rather have been watching Thunderbirds or Dr Who, but as an 11 year old with ambitions already I was clearly outvoted, so would go to my bedroom and build my early Airfix kits ... no computers back then, oh no !! However heard My Mum N Dad and Sisters give out whoops of laughter and Cheers so went back to see what was going on. We were living in Germany then as part of Dads mid 70's RAF posting (yep we got UK shows over there at that time inc Monty Python and Dads Army) What had happened was our Uncle and Aunty Des and Ella back in UK always went to these shows and the camera had caught them panning around the arena sitting in a balcony dressed up like Lords and Lady's and I missed it LOL !!! Their claim to fame and bless them RIP, they did their thing and I do mine in different ways now, love Rock Music, always going to Rock shows and play Rock guitar too ... must be in our genes!

Anyway, lets get silly, my monthly meter readings are due to be given in a few days and its going to higher soon, so time to de-stress agh :)

• Haha 3

PPS: Just adding to my own original post here RE: The Good Old days UK show, only just done a google to see what it was all about again! As mentioned my late Uncle and Aunty Des and Ella always went to these gigs, dressed to the hilt they were, must have been a big thing for them back then, sort of the equivalent of me going to see Rammstein at Coventry recently LOL ,,, this particular show was filmed at Leeds in 72 and that's where they lived ... must go watch it now and see if they are there, wouldn't that be something !

A different world for sure.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, One 48 said:

Dear Modelling friends, these really are dark uncertain times we live in just now, nobody needs to be reminded of that, we all know what's happening in the world beyond our control, we'll get through it though, oh yes we will.

Lots of Brits here and welcome worldwide members too, we as Brit's are famous for silliness during a crisis, Monty Python, Dads Army and more. Its not that we don't take it seriously, we do, but after you have done as much as you can it comes time to de-stress, so all stress reliving nonsense welcome :)

So without further ado, lets get silly if you feel stressed as I am just now, the sillier the better please ,,,, consider it venting without getting political :)

"
There came a girl from France Who didn't know how to dance The only thing that she could do Was knees up Mother Brown Oh, knees up Mother Brown Knees up Mother Brown Knees up, knees up, never let the breeze up, Knees up Mother Brown Oh, hopping on one foot Hopping on one foot Hopping, hopping, never stopping Hopping on one foot Oh, knees up Mother Brown Knees up Mother Brown Knees up, knees up, never let the breeze up, Knees up Mother Brown Oh, prancing up and down Prancing up and down Prancing, prancing, never dancing Prancing up and down Oh, knees up Mother Brown"

Does anyone from UK remember a show called "The Good Old Days"? My Late Mum and Dad used to watch it all the time, and as a consequence of me and younger sisters back then when only 1 TV per household was considered a luxury, we had no choice but to watch it too and was quite fun ... well OK Fun is a bit of a stretch word, would rather have been watching Thunderbirds or Dr Who, but as an 11 year old with ambitions already I was clearly outvoted, so would go to my bedroom and build my early Airfix kits ... no computers back then, oh no !! However heard My Mum N Dad and Sisters give out whoops of laughter and Cheers so went back to see what was going on. We were living in Germany then as part of Dads mid 70's RAF posting (yep we got UK shows over there at that time inc Monty Python and Dads Army) What had happened was our Uncle and Aunty Des and Ella back in UK always went to these shows and the camera had caught them panning around the arena sitting in a balcony dressed up like Lords and Lady's and I missed it LOL !!! Their claim to fame and bless them RIP, they did their thing and I do mine in different ways now, love Rock Music, always going to Rock shows and play Rock guitar too ... must be in our genes!

Anyway, lets get silly, my monthly meter readings are due to be given in a few days and its going to higher soon, so time to de-stress agh :)

Oh'ooo, Wurr A' Doomed, Doomed a' tell ye!😂🤣

Dads army has always been a firm favourite of mine, the characters were abso-amazing, Every one of them was brilliantly played like they were real people, All scenarios expertly played, one of the very best!

• Like 2

I can recommend wine if you're feeling stressed. I think you can get it without a prescription...

But to be slightly more serious, and apart from the above, I've never found a better way to de-stress than a spot of modelling. Once you start wrestling with a bit of PE, mess up the final gloss coat or some crucial piece of tiny plastic pings off into oblivion, all your real cares melt away. It's called alternative stress, I believe. 🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, brianthemodeller said:

Watched a documentary on ‘Allo ‘Allo the other night; I’d forgotten just how funny that was.

Mrs H & I watched the DVD box set last year - we hadn't laughed so much in a long time!  Final seasons weren't as good as the earlier ones (especially when Leclerc, Herr Flick and Captain Bertorelli were recast) but still funny, and the ending, after the war, was brilliant.

I turn to all of the old sitcoms, but love the It Ain't Half Hot Mum episode where they do the Lowering of the Flag and Last Post.

Has me roaring with laughter. Basically cos the Sarnt Major always reminds me of my dad when he got mad (ex. RA Sgt.) Lovely Boys.

Regards

Pete

Trying to work out how my stash will see me through the coming months

a) something I can do during daylight without using electricity

b)  if I run out of firewood, I'll burn kits

c) model kits are a type of home insulation, right ?

d) if I sniff enough modelling glue, it'll take my mind off the next leccy bill !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like some of the old TV series such as The Survivors, The Sandbaggers, Tinker, Tailor... (I like the film version but far prefer the BBC series as it gives better depth), and there are a few more that I like but I enjoy the depth of story in them, often far better than the new stuff. The Professionals, The Sweeney, Callan, 12 O'clock High etc. Some I can get on Youtube and some I can buy as DVDs online. 12 O'clock High, I prefer the first series as its far closer to the film with Gregory Peck, the later series have no appeal to me. I love that ol' movie!:nod:

I also have Colditz TV series and Secret army is another favourite of mine!

I've had alot of doom and gloom in my life, I don't enjoy it and have been able to turn my life around from it by finding what I want to watch instead of the drivel thats often on TV, and I have my modelling, keeps me active and interested! I still have my ups and downs but I am able to move on from it better now.👍

I don't have a massive stash of kits to be built (probably about 30) and there are still some I'd like to buy, but what I have will keep me going for a while!🙂 I just hope we can afford to use the central heating this winter because it can affect how quickly my glue and paint dries!😂

• Like 3

If I feel in need of cheering up a good start is my DVD of "The High Life". For anyone unfamiliar it was a glorious cult comedy series from the mid 1990s featuring the fictional airline Air Scotia and its utterly bonkers staff. It mainly centres on the antics of Steve and Sebastian two cabin attendants and their constant battle of wits and wills with Shona the purser variously referred to as "Hitler in tights", "Mussolini in micromesh" and "Goebbels in a Gossard".  Only six episodes were made and like Fawlty Towers the producers wisely quit while they were ahead.

The main cast was Alan Cumming, Forbes Masson and Siobhan Redmond with Patrick Ryecart as the deranged Captain Duff who thinks he's a Vulcan and is never sure which end of the aircraft is the cockpit. 

Apart from the hilarity of the actual episodes, the opening title sequence is still among the best ever.

"Oh dearie me .... "

Dave G

• Like 2

Funnily (ahem!) enough, we've been watching 'Allo 'Allo although it's been on pause for a few weeks. Just as funny (if not more so) than I remembered

For those that are interesed, The High Life _was_ on YouTube. Not sure if it's still there. I recall watching it when it was first broadcast

For the sheer escapism of reliving childhood telly, a Britbox subscription is essential

/P

On 8/29/2022 at 8:35 PM, Markh-75 said:

I like my alternative comedy, the young ones, bottom, only fools and horses, slack bladder 2, 3 and 4. Fawlty Towers etc.

Ah, Black Adder.......   I feel a "best ever episode " poll coming on.

Starting with "Beer" from series 2    :)

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 1