WIP- Bunker On The Beach 1/72 - Advice Sought

So I came across an unusual image of some tank turrets in the Kuril Islands in the Russian far east and it gave me an idea, (Isnt that how all these things start lol) Apparently back in the day when Soviet Tanks were past it , they were sent to the Sakhalin Islands and either set in concrete bases or simply driven into position and then left there sometimes with access via a concrete prefabricated trench system. Some were mounted in the dunes and some were positioned on hills above the beaches and on likely approaches. I believe they were T-34s IS-2/3/4 and T-54s, Ive posted a link below if you fancy a read.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/amazing-pictures-of-abandoned-soviet-tanks-left-behind-on-shikotan-island.html?chrome=1

The images am basing the project on is 

spacer.png

spacer.png

As you will see mines doesn't quite look like that .

I started with Trumpeters T-54 turret and sprayed it with Vallejos Rust Primer, then worked in some tile grout with a bit of sponge to give me a rougher texture , then went over it with Vallejos rust and dark rust, , I used light rust to try and do some streaking around the handles, and I think I might give it a panel wash of black to finish.

spacer.png

y4m7UP4yGdPmINB0uZJaQYPTv9WavYn28t49M_Eg

The base was made from 3mm white foam board from Hobby craft and I decided to try using a foam block and carved the top and the round disc the turret sits on , I dont think I would use the foam block again it was messy and disintegrated and grout and foam board worked just as well.   

y4mlPuLavhubkn-BiiuFgFRv6wclt6DirHZ3xAPp

y4m59asNfzxNh9cTM_C3o795WYzaEao71uPhw0yQ

I covered the bunker in grout mixed with a touch of yellow ochre and deck tan to give it the yellowish hue you see in the origional image , the disk the turret sits on got a more yellow coat and I tried to add some rust stains to it as well 

y4mPQSI84fE3dCf_jIJWr-Ksj1px912PL50tJapi

Before grouting I glued some plastic rod on the sides and painted them rust in order to emulate the rebar in the crumbling structure, I also sprayed some yellow in selected areas to age parts of the structure.

y4mjJsyPSmc11b3wILOyZ8PrJHvzzO7Ddg9fB7Fi

A wee test fit shows you what aiming for

y4mMrChZcg0EwCf3KlAAqN5QlR6aoDncI6kdhMk1

I used a picture frame for the base , just a cheap one from Asda fitted some Foam board to create a raise beach, I cut the foam board on one side so the bunker could crookedly sink at a jaunty angle. 

y4mAi33ncOjzVoGGcvBhE2itg2EMgkAXOayr02RV

y4mtwJHI8_8oHQXVPaPRXqycx_GOXH_TqapF5aIQ

So Im getting to my question I promise lol , I grouted the beach and mixed decktan and black in to get the volcanic surface, I had also built crumbling slabs of bunker using foam board grouted and then rust painted plastic rods to simulate the rebar again, I also am working on some old wire pickets and rusty wire as well .  To finish I will use shallow resin to simulate the incoming tide, not big breakers just the little ripple type waves breaking on the shore

So question as you can see I have tried to create the base which is sand , but its not yellow beach sand , in the kurils it seems to be a volcanic black or grey sometimes almost bleached sand.  I have ordered some standard fine sand flocked and wondered if anyone has any experience of trying to dye or colour the sand? I also wondered from other pics I have seen the sand sometimes ends up in layers of dark strata then light layers, anyone any ideas of the technique for that? 

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Mark 

• Like 3

4B00341E-780C-4397-A880-87F7B7F1E23D 9C3E1100-69B6-4146-9FAC-69F97ECFE175

2869BCEA-009F-4142-8722-B9AB94F070D1

first up - great work. Your work so far looks absolutely brilliant.

I live by the beach but despite this, I find using sand very hard.

The first 2 pics here aren’t sand but might be suitable. They are ash. If it’s a suitable effect, I can let you know the simple process I use.

The last pic is real sand which I spray painted.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2022 at 09:57, The Great Escape said:

4B00341E-780C-4397-A880-87F7B7F1E23D 9C3E1100-69B6-4146-9FAC-69F97ECFE175

2869BCEA-009F-4142-8722-B9AB94F070D1

first up - great work. Your work so far looks absolutely brilliant.

I live by the beach but despite this, I find using sand very hard.

The first 2 pics here aren’t sand but might be suitable. They are ash. If it’s a suitable effect, I can let you know the simple process I use.

The last pic is real sand which I spray painted.

Cheers mate 🙂

Whats the technique that you used for ash , Im interested to find out?

I got the flock through and decided to throw some black acrylic paint and some flock mix it together and see what happened and it worked reasonably well once I have crushed up the dried sand again.  I used deck tan for the light sand, I would use finer sand next time to be honest, but it turned out not too bad. 

y4msPRR2ovalCAU2CpVMVqOP9HlY2XaSqGyBHUza

I need to get some water effects gel to finish the water off and then its done, I think.

So the ash, how did you do that? 

Looks like the flock worked well.

I’ve used ash for quite a few of my dioramas, either on the ground or to create rocks. The colour and textures are great and create realistic coverage. And it’s sooooo easy to do!

I have no idea how I started using it and it wasn’t a tip I picked up from anyone!

Ash straight out of a wood burner works well but you can make it even finer by ‘swooshing’ it around a bit. Ash from paper is finest and light but ash from wood seems to be darker - I like the shades in colour and the different textures.

To apply, mix a base colour with PVA. You could go for just a grey base colour but when I make rocks, a green or mauve base colour (with PVA) rather than plain grey results in deeper and more realistic tones.

136C717A-DB04-4E62-90BC-8FCA83F2C0BC

You can just about see that there’s a jade green base colour here.

Then it’s just a case of sprinkle the ash all over and pat it down. It really is that simple.

• 2 weeks later...