Danish (R)F-84G Thunderjet camo

Luka

4 hours ago, Diego said:

I just found some shots of KA-C on a Danish modelling forum, one of them showing the bird without tip-tanks:

Cool shot of the camera belly! It seems indeed that KA-C was a dedicated recon version, whereas KP-F was not.
Initially I thought the camo was a finish specifically for recon birds. Looks like I saw a pattern where there was none..

The RDAF Photo flight used 4 (R)F-84G  KA-A / B/ C/ D. KA-C was the only one (fully) camouflaged, KA-D had only a replacement wing coming from another camouflaged Thunderjet.

Of course, there were camouflaged standard F-84Gs in other RDAF units.

Another interesting fact: As you can see on KA-D, the big unit crest was applied under the cockpit on the left side of the aircraft in 1957. These is unfortunately no direct photographic reference, but the crest was surely also applied on the camouflaged KA-D  ( Alf Blume album contains shots of other camouflaged Thunderjets wearing their squadron crests following the directive issued in 1957 ).

Externally, the camera window is only a small opening that can be quickly made and painted over and Tamiya gives you also the option of wingtips without tanks.

Great book found!

I was informed about a book about F-84E & G in Danish service, Ole Rossel, 2014. I found one on aviationmegastore.com, it arrived yesterday. 
what a marvelous book it is! It seems to be written and designed with the modeller in mind. English text, 216 pages in excellent quality printing. Lots and lots of pictures, large an clear. Lots of technical info as well. An example; one page with five sharp detail pics of the Fletcher camera pod with its two (!) camera windows. Unit histories, interviews with pilots, colour profiles. Another example; 17 (!) pages with complete stencilling info, drawings, font size, etc. All one could ask for, and then some! This must be one of the finest books of its kind that I have ever seen. Simply extraordinary, heartily recommended! aviationmegastore.com have more copies and can get more from the author. 

Edit: mentioned on scalemates, here

Edited by Tomas Enerdal
link added
  • Like 1

The book states that a total of seven F-84Gs were converted to (R)F-84G, coded KA-A to G (pics of A/B/C/D/E in the book)

(Edit: a small but very pleasing find in the book: on p.130 there is an in-flight pic of five planes from ESK725. The pic shows the right side of KP-F in camouflage, showing that also the right hand wingtip tank was painted silver. That it is the same plane can be seen by the fact that it has a fully painted top of the fin.

An aftermarket photopod can be found here )

Edited by Tomas Enerdal

45 minutes ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

Great book found!

I was informed about a book about F-84E & G in Danish service, Ole Rossel, 2014. I found one on aviationmegastore.com, it arrived yesterday. 
what a marvelous book it is! It seems to be written and designed with the modeller in mind. English text, 216 pages in excellent quality printing. Lots and lots of pictures, large an clear. Lots of technical info as well. An example; one page with five sharp detail pics of the Fletcher camera pod with its two (!) cameras. Unit histories, interviews with pilots, colour profiles. Another example; 17 (!) pages with complete stencilling info, drawings, font size, etc. All one could ask for, and then some! This must be one of the finest books of its kind that I have ever seen. Simply extraordinary, heartily recommended! aviationmegastore.com have more copies and can get more from the author. 

Edit: mentioned on scalemates, here

Thomas,

I can only second you comments: The book by Mr. Rossel is an indispensable reference for anyone building a Danish F-84.

Ole Rossel is a very nice guy. We´ve had frequently mailkontakt some years ago and I bought all of his fantastic and very detailed 4 view drawings of RDAF aircraft (PDF files)

It seems his website isn´t online anymore, I hope he is fine and in good health.

• 3 weeks later...

No worries, Ole is in good health and working on a new book full of profiles. Actutally a part 2 following the book on the fighters published many years ago (Danmarks Jagerfly) and now out of print. Got the last two copies from Ole some time ago.  The new book is about the non fighter planes and helicopters in Danish AF 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Branky said:

No worries, Ole is in good health and working on a new book full of profiles. Actutally a part 2 following the book on the fighters published many years ago (Danmarks Jagerfly) and now out of print. Got the last two copies from Ole some time ago.  The new book is about the non fighter planes and helicopters in Danish AF 

Thank you @Branky for the update. Good to read, that Ole is fine and are working on new books (i´d like to buy for sure)

• 1 month later...