model supports

Taking my first  real dip into ship modelling, and  looking to mount my kit on a polished wood base. What do you chaps use for the two supports between the base and hull any good suggestions?

Selwyn

There be a quadzillion ways

But here is one way;

1. About 1/4 or 1/3 of the length of the ship, from both bow and stern, drill holes of 6.5mm (or 1/4 inch) diameter on the keel line. 

2. Firmly fix or embed M6 nuts over those holes inside the hull. Make sure they are really affixed

3. On the base, drill 6mm holes at the same distance apart as those on the hull

4. Under the base countersink the holes

5. use M6 bolts to attach the ship to the base BUT

6. cover the section of the bolt between the base and the hull with lengths of brass or polished copper tubing, to hide the bolt threads and to look pretty

Holes, nuts and bolt sizes can be different according to size of ship

• Like 2

As @Black Knight says, there are a lot of ways to mount ships but I use the same sort of method as he uses.

In the case of one build I did, because it was so big, I epoxied four 80mm M6 bolts inside the hull:

spacer.png

I then bolted the build to a temporary base which allowed easier handling of the beast during construction. In fact, this base has been used for quite a few builds in the past and will continue to be used in the future:

spacer.png

At the end the build, I replaced the temporary base using brass tubing to hide the bolts but I also used brass washers to protect the base and the model. The underside of the base has countersunk holes and after tightening the nuts, I covered the holes with pads:

spacer.png

You can buy all sorts of ferrules of different materials, shapes and sizes and I guess you are restricted only by your budget and imagination. I have even used drawer knobs.

Dave

• Like 4

I'll just pick up on one thing Dave mentions; brass washers at each end of the brass tube. Helps both with the looks and stops the tube damaging the model or base

If you are really clever you can put the bolts/tubes in at angles. I remember seeing a H&W display model ship with 6 brass mounts, 3 each side and each at an angle to ship and base. 

• Like 1

So I've done mine differently to some others, I describe it on my current build thread, it should straight to the relevant post,

- it didnt, I'll edit the photos in when I can persuade the laptop to burst into life, apologies 

Lets try this again - 

the idea was one that could be used for models interchangeably so that until i get a proper cabinet then what is displayed can be out and the others in the cabinet. To be fair i don't have many to display (must get more finished) but the idea is sound. So brass tube 6mm outer to support a brass washer, with a 5mm brass tube running through to form a pin on which said model can sit. Then if wobbly there can be a washer and short bit of tube inside the model to stop it rocking. Kind of like a top hat into which the top of the pin sits in,

y4mow2Bu1FZdptSmlqszc8iAh8m82Q1ZH3joSU-K

y4mzViDkeCDFhnyByvnuS3A_p_FcL-lYlq1rBHow y4myuh8yfeDTsT2f2NpOPR_svHSqOwukA95JpfQp 

y4mKBpgJCYVS74d1zdx3dfUqjT27up9uQshHiRIn

y4mIjvU-Wu2si9UynDpvJ6a32FhVQrrhfJMftzb-

The wood is just an old shelf that wants sanding etc but not too worried on that, this is mainly an experiment for the final plan using acrylic, 

Not sure if this is of any use but its the route i took as my space is limited for displaying anything

Sam

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Whilst on ebay looking for some other fittings I came across these 'Spacer washers'

Available in different lengths and i.d.

I bought 15 off of 20mm long x 6mm i.d. in black. Cost me £3.89 inc postage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201472754302

• Like 1