Boeing 314 Clipper

A really quick build this one taking about a week. Airfix 1964 moulding Boeing 314 Clipper.

Decided I had to make this after reading the story of Pan Am California Clipper and her almost round the world trip in Dec 1941 going from San Francisco to New York the long way after her return route to San Francisco was blocked due to the attack on Pearl Harbour by the Japanese. If you want to read the story heres the link California Clipper story or Pan Am Historical page

The kit is basic with no interior and very few parts but the fit is good. The decals are for NC-18605 Dixie Clipper fortunately research and a very useful picture sent to me from the Pan Am Historical Foundation (pic posted with their permission) show NC-18602 in New York after her arrival in Jan 1942 was of great help which I thank them for.

spacer.png

A few adjustments to the original kit in reversing and rotating the 5 to make the 2 for NC-18602, Radio wires from fin to wing- If anybody makes one of these in the future dont be mislead by other models/pictures of the wires going to above the cockpit they are pitot tubes and the wires go to the wings, there are some HD pics of the attachments I found after extensive research. And finally using lots of old decal sheets black edge lines to make up the upper wing markings. (These should be rounded corners but I only had straights)

Love the lines of this golden age of aviation bird and has grown on me the more I researched. I just wish she would stay on her stand and not keep banking over!

As always thanks for looking and I look forward to yur comments.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 52
  • Thanks 1

Great result from an old but good kit.  I really like the dull silver finish - what did you use?  The walkway (?) decals are very successful - not sure how you could have got rounded corners, even if they were visible in 1/144. 

Such a shame that none were preserved, sadly just like the Empire boats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2022 at 12:23 PM, bryanm said:

Indeed, although there is a Solent (or is it a Sandringham?) in the Southampton aviation museum, so fairly near.  But I risk drifting o/t.

Great model - I tried one a few years ago and gave up on it, the fit was that bad.  So even more of a well done to you.  :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Lovely 314, especially the walkways. Having done two 314s I know what work that is. Mine wobble on their stands as well!

And just a note, some Clippers (e.g. Dixie, Bangor, Bristol) did have aerials wires from the pitot tube arms to the fins, though not California/Paciific Clipper as you say.

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2022 at 12:23 PM, bryanm said:

Great result from an old but good kit.  I really like the dull silver finish - what did you use?  The walkway (?) decals are very successful - not sure how you could have got rounded corners, even if they were visible in 1/144. 

The silver is just normal Humbrol silver 11 then the props is Revell 90 and 91

On 8/26/2022 at 1:04 PM, Zephyr said:

Great work, I love the photo with the model next to the box art!

What did you use for the orange on the wings? It looks just right.

Humbrol 18 for the orange. 2 coats over an initial silver.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:10 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Handsome model!  I like the juxtaposition between old and new technology with the 727, too, which shows how big the -314 was!

She big and what few clips of one taking off is impressive.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:41 PM, Pete in a shed said:

Looked at the box many times in the model shop when I was a boy, never bought it. Wish I had after seeing this great result from the old kit.

Pete

They are still out there if you decide to get one.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:12 PM, Epeeman said:

Wonderful!

Very neat work - I remember building this one as a kid!

Regards

Dave

Thank you.

20 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Elegance personified just about sums up the 314 and the Constellation,beautiful build...

You are right there. Do like the connie too and wouldnt mind a bigger one then the 144 I have.

6 hours ago, Roberto said:

This one is really, really good!

2 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Really nice. I am working with same kit also.

2 hours ago, MikeC said:

Indeed, although there is a Solent (or is it a Sandringham?) in the Southampton aviation museum, so fairly near.  But I risk drifting o/t.

Great model - I tried one a few years ago and gave up on it, the fit was that bad.  So even more of a well done to you.  :goodjob:

Thank you all.

20 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Lovely 314, especially the walkways. Having done two 314s I know what work that is. Mine wobble on their stands as well!

And just a note, some Clippers (e.g. Dixie, Bangor, Bristol) did have aerials wires from the pitot tube arms to the fins, though not California/Paciific Clipper as you say.

Thats interesting about the wires as I was searching high and low for pictures to show it and very few where clear enough till I found some HD pics.

The main pic that shows them well is 18603 Yankee, as well as 18602

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 7:10 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Handsome model!  I like the juxtaposition between old and new technology with the 727, too, which shows how big the -314 was!

In its day the 314 was considered very big. They couldn't have imagined the 727, much less the 747.

• Like 1

Very nice result and the story behind it.

Boeing 314 is one of my favorite machines of these times. I have it in 1/72 standing next to B29. The  Superfortress looks like Clipper"s baby brother...Regards. J-W.

• Thanks 1