Matchbox 1/72 Westland Wessex HAR2 (conv)

I've actually forgotten when started building this kit, whether is was before I after university, so lets say almost 30 years in the making. I started as a Revell owned Matchbox release so all grey plastic. Thanks to an excellent conversion article in Airfix magazine Vol1/#6 Feb 1989 and subsequently a super walkaround in (IIRC) Aviation News I made a start on the conversion as well as adding a lot of small detail and improvements. 

Here's a run down of the work done:

* Removed and rescribed the raised panel lines.
* Crash-moulded air-scoops, hatch handles/hinges from stretched sprue
* Grab handles from wire
* Modified pipework on underside to match the HAR2 more closely
* Fuselage windows squared off and replaced with crash mould glazing.
* Front windscreen re-glazed and framed. 
* Side windows replaced with crash-moulded examples to pose open.
* Airwaves PE used for grills and cockpit detail
* Added extra detail to the rotor hub
* Winch detail - I could have improve the housing as it's very simplified
* floatation gas bottles
* Spot lights
* Aerials, so many aerials!

Over the years I added the 4+ book which has some lovely scale drawings and more recently the Haynes book which helped me redo the rotor head detail. The excellent ModelDecal sheet #95 which provides a number of Rescue Wessexes and HC2/HU5s. I can't recommend this sheet enough as it provides full stencils with variants so I could pick those that matched my references.

P1090020.jpg

Big thanks to MarkyM607 for providing a spare rotor blade that I snapped when trying to add some droop. The lack of droop is the only thing that detracts from the finished model.

So here is XR507 of 22 Sqn St Mawgan, circa 1990

WessexHAR2-24.jpg

WessexHAR2-33.jpg

WessexHAR2-25.jpg

WessexHAR2-26.jpg

WessexHAR2-27.jpg

WessexHAR2-28.jpg

WessexHAR2-29.jpg

WessexHAR2-30.jpg

WessexHAR2-31.jpg

WessexHAR2-32.jpg

• Like 65
  • Thanks 4

That looks great. You certainly finished that to a high standard. 

I  have one in my stash. The original Matchbox kit. I was thinking of dumping it. Maybe it's worth keeping after all.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Russmeister 101 said:

Fantastic looking Wessex!!  Top draw mods make this an extra special treat to behold...  22Sqn with the Sea King will always be my fondest memory - but this stirs the blood just as well!!

Bravo that man! 👏

Many thanks. A Sea King and Whirlwind will eventually join it, hopefully before I start pushing up the daisies!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, fatalbert said:

Beautiful work,i love it,can you tell me what that magazine is that has the improvemnt details in it at the bottom of your picture.

Thanks

Cheers. Airfix magazineVol1/#6 Feb 1989

• 4 months later...

That's fantastic work. my dad built this kit OOB when it came out, no comparison to the amount of effort you've put into, doesn't even look like the same model.

• Like 1

like Michelangelo used to say, "Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it"... I guess the same goes for Matchbox kits, and you have really revealed a great kit that was inside waiting :)

• Like 2