GECKO AMBULANCE SIDE DOORS LOOKS WAVY AND DULL ON CLEAR PARTS SEE PICTURE BELOW

TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED

There have now been a few reviews in youtube of the Gecko 1/35 Ambulance 35GM0070, most are very good, and one gives the model 10 out of 10.

One of the reviews,  apart from saying the Airfix version overall better than the Gecko, fine all entitled to their opinion, stated one of the reasons he marked the model down was poor clear parts.

Remember this youtuber has 20k subscribers, which is a lot in the model world, stated he was disappointed that the side window(door) option was poor compared to the main windscreen. Remember the Airfix version does not come with the unfolded side doors.  On the model the main windscreen was clear,  but the clear part on the optional side door was dull and wavy ( the door is molded fully in a clear part)

The problem with trying to recreate accuracy, is sometimes folks think is wrong and a fault with the model.

Dear Modelers fret not, the reason the side door window is dull and wavy, is due to the fact on the real vehicle the side window is not glass, as the complete door has to be folded away when not in use.  Some later post war versions had actual doors with glass but not in WW2, or certainly not in the field.

It was made of an early form of plastic call acetate and acetate is not as clear as glass and becomes worse with use, also the folding away of the door is going to make it a bit wavy.

TopWorldAuto >> Photos of Austin K2 - photo galleries

Edited by TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED
  • Haha 2

OMG!!!  I am assuming the said youtube superstar is talking about this window section...

door.jpg

...having 20k followers is no guarantee that you know what your talking about I suppose :lol:

BTW - I would change the name of your thread title - it doesn't do you any favours to the "casual browser" :hmmm:

Steve

• Like 1

Yes you are possibly right 

I have no problem with the youtuber in question scoring the Airfix one over the Gecko version, that's his opinion and I respect that, and he was coming from the easy to build side.

This model has really put the fox in the hen house, as folks are waking up to the levels of detail for what is a max of £6.00 difference in RRP

Edited by TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED

• TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED changed the title to GECKO AMBULANCE SIDE DOORS LOOKS WAVY AND DULL ON CLEAR PARTS SEE PICTURE BELOW

@TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED - glad you changed the thread title :wink:

...here is the offending piece of plastic...

door-wave.jpg

...in all it's wavy & dull glory :lol:...

door.jpg

...basically it is a PERFECT RENDITION of what it is trying to portray - a canvas door covering with acetate "windows".

I hope someone points this out to the poor feckwit youtube star :lol:

Steve

• Like 2