Venetian Halberdier - Late Fifteenth Century - FeR Miniatures - 75mm - Finished (Stopped more like)

1 minute ago, JeroenS said:

See? That should save you about 100 hours. 

And that would just be the rehearsals. 🙄

Shield options include hand painting a simplified lion and using some random decal left over from a gaudy aeroplane.

I've been practicing striping and I think I can handle that at least. I shall now work out some simple lion glyphs for a while.

You know those ideas that seem really sensible at the time but that overnight lose all of their sparkle? An example might be proposing marriage to someone during a really good night and then waking up in a cold sweat of reality induced terror. Well, unlike that time, I now have the commonsense to say "Nah, forget it!" I can't paint a lion of any kind, freehand, on a stamp sized piece of plastic.

y4mDjsG9zODtmxEpxv_i9YrjYcMceiSdvThoP3XR

So we will go the decal route.

As for the legs, I was seconds away from painting the striped in acrylics. The loaded brush was approaching the surface when I remembered deciding to use enamels.

y4mneEz8Tv5VHvCRQt5W95IPUb_uPd0yoGW4fQFO

Quick switch. The spoon is for opening the tinlets without distorting the lids, the toilet roll is a splash catcher (as toilet rolls usually are!) and the cappuccino frother is a paint mixer.

y4m24QXpx7mOpsn65fCroAPtvM7WtdlycBWH4iF3

y4m24QXpx7mOpsn65fCroAPtvM7WtdlycBWH4iF3Essential precaution - remove the water from the bench so I don't dip enamel into it!

y4m3fD1__On-dvNoWH_BwPNly78CXTtJWuC4hOiQ

First go with the stripes is more for position than anything. I had to swap oout the green because there didn't seem to be any pigment in the tinlet. It was watery all the way to the bottom and there was none of the customary sludge. Very odd as it's an old tin. Fortunately the other one was ok. 

By this point  I'd also painted the shirt which is visible at the rear, his bootlaces, the strappage around the torso, and the loose ends of the hatband, as well as adding jet exhaust (dark metal) to the armpits of the chain mail. 

y4mDVZPrRhACPLpqfOdyRxBK_xb06431ZUoUMWlO

That's the best I can do with the stripes. It's close enough, adjusted for age, eyesight and trembling hands.

y4mlMqL4U7og_VRYfnI8WjiOFu2fd5pyq_xYCjws

The decal sat down well but still looks like a decal. Well, how about that! I'll paint over it stipple fashion to blend it in later. Currently I'm work stopped for the enamels to dry.

y4mNZQ81uXSTJ-PbZRiozMQAzavml6K68kf_AaIg

The straps came out well enough and you will notice that I have half-forgotten, half-planned to paint the pee flap, cod piece, cricket box thing. I'm going to make a feature of it.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JeroenS said:

The stripes are not half bad Bertie. I think the skull decal looks more impressive than Mufasa 😉 

Close enough, Jeroen and when he's properly weathered it will look better.

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! I presume his unit is an early incarnation of VF-84 :)

Regards,

Adrian

Who knows? The decal was the kind that you have to trim close because the carrier film is all over the sheet. That alone makes me think I've had them for decades. I've no idea now of what the donor kit might have been.

I have painted myself into a corner. The Humbrol Satin Red is taking a long time to dry. This means that I won't be able to weather the figure with oils as planned, until tomorrow at the earliest. So for the purposes of the GB I declare myself finished and ask you to imagine the muck and the blood and the filthy bandage which will kill our peacock hero within the week. 

y4mwCM4FGBfmuVtz53ndY2pR8LouJ-39M3D2JGFK

y4m9KXXrwV6n3s36-g94MFg016DW-z3ck6DeI8Pb

y4mz-6TKstNTVpNAp4udq2HRCllRHTJ9TSyMUOdO

y4mIhzA3SBGHO7ByQVREaPAEZaacE__DShLqjzmM

Even without the weathering, I'm rather pleased with him. The GB has been very useful in reminding me that I can have fun with a simple and quick build and has made a welcome break from projects that stretch out even unto the very crack of doom.

• Like 13

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Venetian Halberdier - Late Fifteenth Century - FeR Miniatures - 75mm - Finished (Stopped more like)
45 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Love it - inspired to do a figure perhaps on the next Blitzbuild, scary for me!

I recommend a fantasy figure from Games Workshop if it’s your first go. They are designed to be easy to paint and you can choose the colours to suit yourself. 

• Thanks 1