HMS Hood 1/700 hopefully in heavy seas

Being a lucky sort of chap my parents got me this beauty for my birthday:

52309003103_7ec0d39ea1_k.jpgPXL_20220824_192012445.MP by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

My plan is to model it in the middle of a North Sea storm and force myself to experiment with white water for the first time.

If anyone has any advice on modelling stormy weather that would be gratefully received 

It is typical Flyhawk with wonderfully crisp detail and superb fit.

Hull has a split along the waterline and the upper and lower hull both come in single pieces. The upper hull is moulded with a sprue inside it which doesn’t actually clash with the lower hull so can be left in as reinforcement. The lower hull has bulkheads moulded in and both parts were remarkably straight and true for such long slender parts and fit together like lego.

I think if assembled well you can probably get away without any sanding but I rushed into it the moment the postman dropped the kit off so had a very small step (maybe ¼ of a mm along part of the length about 5-10 cm back from the bow.

52309048964_7e43e246c1_k.jpgPXL_20220824_192037842.MP by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

Because the lower hull is moulded in a single piece there are some mould lines but they clean up really easily.

The detail moulding is almost ridiculously crisp, I don’t think anyone else gets even close in Plastic and only the very best resin companies (Starling, Atlantic Combrig etc) can compete.

52309048999_829fced01a_k.jpgPXL_20220824_192054225 by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

• Like 8

10 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

My plan is to model it in the middle of a North Sea storm

Gidday, this looks a good kit and I am looking forward to seeing what you do with her. This ship I believe was very wet in a seaway, particularly in later years. I think this was because of her low freeboard, the extra weight added to her over her life, (something like about 6000 tons?) and due to her length she cut through waves rather than ride over them. So a smoother ride but a wet one. I've seen a photo of her quarterdeck almost totally awash. Not good for sun bathing. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am slightly overthinking this but my plan is to paint at this very early stage to make doing the deck colour separation easier.

52313054236_83a5acc24c_k.jpgPXL_20220826_210824673.MP by OutcastJoel, on Flickr

The Flyhawk instructions suggest that the wooden deck should be unpainted, given that they seem to be on top of all of the latest research I imagine that is thought to be correct?

• Like 2