Heller Bentley 4,5 L Blower in 1/24 scale

I have always liked the alpha-male looks of the turbo charged Bentley 4,5 L Blower. Somehow, it simply is so iconically British with the racing green colour and the Union Jack on the sides. The car took part in the 24 Heures du Mans in 1930 but had to abandon the race after 144 laps. There are still two specimens left of this legendary racer, one in the UK and the other one in the USA.

I built the model from a Heller 1/24 scale kit. I must admit that generally I'm not a great fan of Heller kits. In the past I have encountered all kinds of problems with them, be it with the cryptic instructions or the poor fit and quality of the parts. Well, this kit was much better in many respects and with very careful reading of the instructions and with multiple dry-fittings of the parts the build was quite problem free. However, I must say that this is probably not a kit for new-beginners.

I painted the dark green parts with Tamiya TS-9 British green and the other details with Vallejo acrylics and Revell enamels. Overall, the painting instructions had many discrepancies with the actual colours of the remaining cars. I  tried to use the right colours and shades but here and there I have used artist's liberty in choosing them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 31

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

You don't often see those built, and certainly not that well! Really lovely build, I like that! 👍

Keith

Thank you very much Keith!

Einar 

17 minutes ago, PhilX said:

Very well done ... 😍

And a special mention for the no-gap hood ajustment, which is not easy on this model.

Thank you PhilX!

Einar

1 hour ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Looks really good. And this is better Heller kits. I have thought to modify it to Le Man's winner car, but not enough reference material at the moment.

Thanks Vesa. Good luck with your project!

Einar 

Edited by Einar

Very nice, well done  :)

I've looked at these, but never got one as I have the 1/12 Airfix one to build, but seeing what can be done with the kit, I might get one and give it a go :) 

Ian 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Very nice, well done  :)

I've looked at these, but never got one as I have the 1/12 Airfix one to build, but seeing what can be done with the kit, I might get one and give it a go :) 

Ian 

Thanks Ian and good luck your Bentley Blower👍

Einar

• Like 1