A pair of Cessnas - Khee-Kha & KP side by side

CarLos

Following the recent discussion about the KP Cessna 180/185 kit where several errors were pointed out, I decided to start my kit along with the vacuformed one by Khee-Kha. I have started Lars Opland beautiful kit a few years ago but due to a stupid mistake in cutting the wing the project stalled. Last week, while watching football on the computer, I've cut another kit and I will use it as a comparison with KP.

To summarise, the main problems of the KP kit are:

In the wing, the leading edge of the centre section should be straight in plan view;

KP Cessna 180 5

The outer panels miss about five mm in span.

KP Cessna 180 3

The fuselage is not deep nor long enough the back.

KP Cessna 180 2

Is the plan correct? you may find a good profile photo taken from a distance (I used this one): 

cessna_c180_vh-crb.jpg

Then use your favourite graphics program to scale it in the screen of your computer (or better yet, print it scaled to 1/72) and compare:

(I tried to align by the door posts and by the upper profile)

I think it is clear enough. The same comparison proves that the Khee-Kha kit is spot on (also showing that the fin and rudder edges are slightly off in the plans).

Please feel free to comment!

I already started correcting the wing, but I'll leave it to another post.

Carlos

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Heyy!

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, CarLos said:

Following the recent discussion about the KP Cessna 180/185 kit where several errors were pointed out, I decided to start my kit along with the vacuformed one by Khee-Kha. I have started Lars Opland beautiful kit a few years ago but due to a stupid mistake in cutting the wing the project stalled. Last week, while watching football on the computer, I've cut another kit and I will use it as a comparison with KP.

To summarise, the main problems of the KP kit are:

In the wing, the leading edge of the centre section should be straight in plan view;

KP Cessna 180 5

The outer panels miss about five mm in span.

KP Cessna 180 3

The fuselage is not deep nor long enough the back.

KP Cessna 180 2

Is the plan correct? you may find a good profile photo taken from a distance (I used this one): 

cessna_c180_vh-crb.jpg

Then use your favourite graphics program to scale it in the screen of your computer (or better yet, print it scaled to 1/72) and compare:

(I tried to align by the door posts and by the upper profile)

I think it is clear enough. The same comparison proves that the Khee-Kha kit is spot on (also showing that the fin and rudder edges are slightly off in the plans).

Please feel free to comment!

I already started correcting the wing, but I'll leave it to another post.

Carlos

16 hours ago, CarLos said:

52308669586_cac3d4b042_c.jpg

My way to correct the wing. Progress in a dedicated thread very soon.

Carlos

As I see, you cut the shortcoming section and you inserted some pins. Will you reatach the original piece, in the correct position, right? And then what? Fill it with putty, or previously insert a triangle shaped piece of plastic?

• Like 4

Helpful stuff. One can see that the rear end of the fuselage is the wrong shape compared to the side view colour photo as well as the length. The wing leading edge is a pain but with planning could be sorted ... and the wing tip.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Borisz said:

My way to correct the wing. Progress in a dedicated thread very soon.

Hi, a reasonable way to fix the leading edge. But should it lead to a problem with front screen alignment at a later stage?

Dennis

Really good research! The wingtips though - in fairness to kp these tend to vary from airframe to airframe as owners buy aftermarket cambered tips. Possibly neither is wrong?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress was done already but time to post has been scarce. But here we go...

The wing: as shown previously, I opted to correct the leading edge by inserting some plastic card wedges. We need to be careful and overdo a little, as the affected front edge is not straight. Be also very careful with the vertical alignment, or you risk ending up with an incorrect wing profile. Some photos:

Cessna 180 7

Cessna 180 8

Cessna 180 10

As a side note, perhaps packing with strips of plastic card at the front and sanding would be easier. May be I'll try that approach in another kit...

To extend the outer wing panels, I started by cutting the tip according with the plans. Then I made the extra groves of the aileron by scoring lightly with an hobby knife and then with the broken tip of a round file. Not so bad without a macro lens, but far from perfect. I added a square to straighten the tip where it was round, but forget that the extra tapering in thickness would be noticeable, so I corrected that with extra plastic. Not difficult, but I should have anticipated the problem and simply cut a slice of the tip up to the aileron and carve some thick plastic. Again, live and learn. Tips will be added later, after deciding which machine I will make.

Cessna 180 5

Cessna 180 6

Cessna 180 12

Cessna 180 11

Cessna 180 13

Cessna 180 14

Cessna 180 15

You can notice clearly that the groves of the aileron are not parallel to the flight direction. This is the kind of thing that once noticed I can't "un-notice". No way to correct this unless you want to 3D print new ailerons. And, to have a consistent aspect, new flaps rudder and elevators!

The fuselage benefited from the experience of correcting the Airfix Yak kit. After comparing with plans, photos and with the Khee-Kha kit at hand I scored carefully along the lower panel line from the rear up to the door, and then along the lower door contour. You need a new blade for this. After a few passes, twist the plastic carefully and a shadow white mark will turn up at the interior. Now score very carefully along that shadow mark and after a few twists you will have an almost perfect cut. Insert plastic, reinforce by the interior, make new fuselage ends, file, sand, putty, sand again and at the end you will have a much better Cessna 180 fuselage. Not perfect, but a lot better. And this is not the end of it, instead it's only the beginning of a model!

Cessna 180 16

Cessna 180 17

Cessna 180 19

Cessna 180 20

Cessna 180 21

Cessna 180 22

Here the fuselages are aligned by the firewall panel:

Cessna 180 23

The interior is not very nice to see... but better safe than sorrow.

Cessna 180 24

I would like to assure you that this *is not* a difficult task. It took me a pair of evenings for the wings an another for the fuselage. As I acquired another kit I'm sure that it will take a lot less. If you can make the KP Cessna without corrections, go for it! I simply can not.

Carlos

Oh, the Yaks! One day...

Yak Yak Yak

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/18/2022 at 2:21 AM, billn53 said:

This is my kind of modeling! Hack and slash, until the kit surrenders and does what you want. (I mean this in the best way possible :nodding: )

I would go lion taming, but few opportunities here... Anyway, better than accountancy!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Elsewhere I have started a post of my build and looking here now, I can see the fuselage work needed and the wingtips I was wondering if the sporty wing tips in the kit can be used to correct the original tip profile. Its something I'll to deal with. The fuselage depth is another matter.  I'll keep tabs on this thread to get some ideas if you don't mind that is.

• 1 year later...

Hi @CarLos. I was very interested to see how you got on with this project. I have a couple of these KP 180/185's and I'm wondering how to go about building them. 

Did you get any further with this?

7 hours ago, Smudge said:

Hi @CarLos. I was very interested to see how you got on with this project. I have a couple of these KP 180/185's and I'm wondering how to go about building them. 

Did you get any further with this?

No, I haven't... It is near the desk, but I'm trying to finish other builds. The Manchester conversion, the Mosquito for the Frog GB and the Supermarine 224... And I am very slow!

• Thanks 1