C-130A Hercules Golden 1960's

Hello dear colleagues!

Today I want to show you my first non-civil aircraft in my standard scale.

What can I say about C-130? Some people says that it's most beauty-looking plane. But in my opinion it looks ridiculous, short and fat fuselage looks strange enough. But anyway, it has own charm, especially in old schemes with naked duralumin body. 

And I think the most popular military cargo plane will be a good replenishment for my collection. 

Hercules was produced in many different modifications, the most famous of them is monstrous AC-130 Spectre, the flying  artillery battery. Also, C-130 is the biggest plane ever landed and taken off from aircraft carrier. 

The kit from Amodel was purchased about half a year ago, but for long time I didn't dare to start with it. I've read a lot of negative reviews about this kit. OK, it's short-run technology. How we say in Russia, swearing removed

And I have to say that this proverb describes progress of building the model good enough. There was no one connection that didn't need many time, sanding paper and putty to get it acceptable-looking. Usually I spend much more time for paint-works, but when you have a deal with Amodel, you have to be ready to spend some days before you will take airbrush in your hand.

y4mDEY682YCOrJpiqc5AZU7B6kbuQ78kfJ2l56dk

On the picture there are two engines from left side - one before and another after correction of them.

Also kit has incorrect geometry, when I've placed the wing over fuselage, I've discovered that there is a big fail with engines. They were inclined down. After saying some kind words to Amodel manufacturers, I disconnected engines and took putty and sanding paper again...

Taking stock of building progress, there was very long and complicated work to get something looking like Hercules from that sadly-looking plastic pieces, that you can find in the box.

BTW Amodel writes in their instruction that "Kit destined only for skilled modellers". I think it's something like disclaimer of responsibility. 

Paint work was easy enough after finally getting assembled model.

First I've used black Decorix primer from the balloon. Then I masked nose and areas behind engines and painted the plane with Tamiya X-11. Then I tried (not very successfully) to imitate panel effect on the fuselage and wing-edge. Red colour for tail was mixed from red and orange Master-Acrylic paints. First, I had an idea to paint the whole plane in metallic, like it is pointed in instruction. But discovering hundreds of C-130 photos, I've found one with red tail and metallic body. It was C-130A from one US museum. I liked this scheme very much and decided to paint my model in something like that prototype. 

And here I've to say that there is no any real prototype of my model. It only can be named collective fashion of Hercules from the Golden Era of 1960's, with fantastic design of cars, fascinatingly-looking planes and time of Elvis Presley 🤟

Decal from Amodel matches all the (un)quality of the kit. Though it was covered with lacquer, anyway it has crumbled. So it was "US air force' stencils for fuselage. But after it had crumbled, I had to content only with "USAF" instead of correct stencil. Big "S" letter on the upper part of the wing had crumbled as well, but fortunately there was another one in reserve.

I"ve used Pledge Future prior and after decals. Also I've applied gray and deep-gray wash from Pacific-88 to get effect of old and exhausted plane. Finally, I've covered model with Master-Acrylic matte lacquer.

Summary, what can I say about the model. I haven't create a masterpiece, sure, and there are a lot of mistakes. Painting is not very pretty-looking as well, especially on the photos.

But I wanted to get Hercules in 1/144 on the shelve, and I've got it. Will I build Amodel kits in the future? I don't think so. But never ever say "never" and maybe some time I'll want to get another one special plane and the model will be non-alternative.. May be.

Wish all of you modelling inspiration!

Respects, tMikha.

y4mpByaUfjknBqXp4avmQ2z7LWgcknJYe-K6acKo

y4m2Qqi3ZnrPQHoFRclFSl-jojL3njOIPLnUMrma

y4m16i8rPwbn0qMY0Sl8ustsBQbrdTTL9uvbT6H3

y4mVz5ZVmymaE0pMX89GVu_a9eGSH1bxLEYfnf3y

y4mhGL9X7xYDV4L7f0b0pak6fC_oUq0W9CNDuAOE

y4m9HSBn081JgudBd6OYxu3nDKwJVq_NlvQ8WVYI

y4mcbpeo_-K4CiFJeRaL3KyQrjb6rl-1VggC0EzM

y4m48DYgRPAzNZnbo4kEor7XmxBlDSBkWV3w2Poq

y4mQzZqoKIEXyd-fcOj060ANWYZ5wXjTf1jAE7FA

y4m-32pGjazCtZqNVWQFbLi6wpL-so0nhcNlm1UE

y4mfp_ddfgT2UyBboG4tRh44ZAqBTrD2dewgLq5u

• Like 36

Great job in cleaning this model and making it look like a C-130A!  You captured the look thanks to a lot of hard work.  It might even be конфета "konfeta" at this point.  Personally, I like the looks of the C-130, but it's not for everyone.  You simply cannot argue matters of taste.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Great job in cleaning this model and making it look like a C-130A!  You captured the look thanks to a lot of hard work.  It might even be конфета "konfeta" at this point.  Personally, I like the looks of the C-130, but it's not for everyone.  You simply cannot argue matters of taste.

Maybe now it didn’t become  a “конфета”, but now it’s something edible at least 😃

And sure, appearance of aircrafts is the matters of taste. 

Thank’s for kind feedback! 

3 minutes ago, kiseca said:

Very entertaining read of a kit that sounds like a great one to avoid!

End result is a good looking rendition of a very characterful looking aircraft. I've always liked the big old Hercules.

Thank you!

Sure, the kit is not easy to built neatly, but, if someone really wants to get the model of special plane, it’s possible to finish it. 

• Like 1

Given the problems you had,it turned out nice.

I like the C-130,I once saw a 2 hour documentation about the Herc on TV and since then this aircraft grew on me.

I have quite a number of kits in my stash (Italeri 1/72,Zvezda 1/72,Airfix 1/72,Revell's first 1964 issue,Minicraft C-130J and a Matchbox kit,which is a repack of the Revell kit)

Thanks for sharing

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

Given the problems you had,it turned out nice.

I like the C-130,I once saw a 2 hour documentation about the Herc on TV and since then this aircraft grew on me.

I have quite a number of kits in my stash (Italeri 1/72,Zvezda 1/72,Airfix 1/72,Revell's first 1964 issue,Minicraft C-130J and a Matchbox kit,which is a repack of the Revell kit)

Thanks for sharing

Thank’s Alex!😃

I’ve thought about Zvezda 1/72 Hercules, but It’s a pretty big thing, Herc in 1/72. And also it wouldn’t look good together with my collection of 1/144 “civilians”…

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, tMikha said:

Thank’s Alex!😃

I’ve thought about Zvezda 1/72 Hercules, but It’s a pretty big thing, Herc in 1/72. And also it wouldn’t look good together with my collection of 1/144 “civilians”…

Very true,the 72 scale Herc is quite a beast.

I have built only one of those yet,the others are still in their boxes due to the shelf space problems 😊

• Like 1

Brilliant work and clearly a lot of effort and energy went into this. I’ve built many Amodel kits and this one does have a bad reputation as you say. But you’ve made it shine and the finished result is superb. Bravo! 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ajmm said:

Brilliant work and clearly a lot of effort and energy went into this. I’ve built many Amodel kits and this one does have a bad reputation as you say. But you’ve made it shine and the finished result is superb. Bravo! 

Thank’s for kind feedback!

And you’re right, it took a lot of effort. Now i’d like to built something easy to assemble and high-quality 🤯 

Edited by tMikha
  • Like 1