De Havilland Vampire J-28C - Finished!

81-er

Cheers gents. There will be more soon, both in terms of updates on this, and Vampires to build. I've got one more in the stash, plus I also have an Xtradecal sheet with a couple of options I like. The one here will be in Chilean camo, but I'm going to need another kit to do the Rhodesian one :whistle: Now if only someone could make a decent T.11 kit in 1/48...

James

I squeezed a few minutes in at lunchtime. Start/stop times:

FSDQLyH.jpg

BhxrUV6.jpg

Decals on the underside:

K3Iy51R.jpg

Other than one on the nose gear door and the medical kit one for the rear canopy, that’s the decals done on this one. 20 decals vs the 90 for the other scheme! I’m in two minds about the dayglo orange ones as well, they’re a bit too “in your face”. I’m debating between trying some very thinned white over them to tone them down, or just removing them and painting them in with some orange paint.

I gave all of the landing gear parts some Nuln Oil to bring out the details (bad photo, but you’ll see more when it’s on)

Z24rUSD.jpg

Given it was on it’s back, the gear bays got the same treatment as well:

jnmK9Vd.jpg

James

• Like 2

Grab yourself one of the texture spreaders when you do, such a useful tool. Obviously adding texture, but great for filling and also burnishing down masking tape. The edge is really handy for getting the tape into panel lines as well, which is the way I got around the demarcations on the boom passing over panel lines with this build

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/M-Texture-Speader

As for the Vampire, I've decided to remove the day glow decals and have a go at painting them. I've got the paint on order, but if it doesn't work, I've got two more kits in the stash I can rob the decals from.

James

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s been a while, but I’m still plugging away with this. And determined to finish it within 24hrs of work, even if I missed the deadline. The original orange paint I’d ordered turned out to not be as bright as I hoped, so I popped into a local shop and picked up some Revell luminous orange. That’s bright enough! I had a chance to get onto that yesterday, so time to start the clock again (excuse my reflections in the screen):

khCYU2M.jpg

And just over half an hour later, time to stop it again:

bWNLIFh.jpg

In that time, I’d managed to get the dayglow areas masked and a white base down:

wS6K3i3.jpg

st8jAfI.jpg

After that had dried, time for another set of start/stop pictures:

oUa8bmz.jpg

mqXkMZt.jpg

Which gave me the time for dayglow:

gqg4Kz1.jpg

Another 10 minutes:

5Si5CQX.jpg

eqmJ9Ci.jpg

Which saw it unmasked and glossed (photos after it had dried, so it didn’t stick to the stand). The day glow looks no different to the decals in the photos, but in reality it’s much better. Fits within the panel lines and is faded:

yiPDEXN.jpg

wAABJFg.jpg

Yet another start/stop:

rzU2yae.jpg

CWVB3cZ.jpg

And some Flory Dark Dirt slopped on the top:

mAZT4D6.jpg

Let it dry, then flip over for the other side:

IcnkKUv.jpg

IshZd4k.jpg

LdIE97j.jpg

Let that dry as well, then it’s timer time again:

9yCb0xy.jpg

cNgjbcU.jpg

And the end of where I got to last night:

ZJWHEI6.jpg

DOAgpLC.jpg

I was somewhat disappointed that there were some big black smudges on the underside that I couldn’t get rid of with the dry cloths/cotton buds I was using. Then it dawned on me this morning that I could just use a damp one instead 🤦‍♂️

So, timer:

gPW6w3l.jpg

Ag0WVjC.jpg

This is the bit where there should have been a photo of the underside actually looking nice with no Flory anywhere but the panel lines. But apparently I forgot to take that one... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Next up on my (rapidly dwindling) to do list on this build was to try some dot filters. Start the clock:

IEG9Q1M.jpg

I might have overdone it with the dots:

2p55QO9.jpg

And stop the clock:

Hue5OfH.jpg

What did I learn? I DEFINITELY used too much paint/too many dots. Dot filters are very effective. Next time I’ll do the filters first, and panel lines after. Why? Well:

2Hj0Oow.jpg

bZ6e2Ii.jpg

All of the Flory has been obliterated by the residue from the filters. I think it could do with another wipe over to reduce some of the white “haze” effect as well, then I’ll give it another clear coat and redo the panel line wash. I might try that in oils this time.

The underside has a nice modulation in reality, I learnt from my mistakes with the upper surfaces. However, that doesn’t really come across in pictures, sadly:

pDLCYN8.jpg

ZxihXto.jpg

I think I’m going to leave this one here for tonight and restart tomorrow. I’ve got one more day off work, and I’m determined this one (and the Ar 555) will be done before I’m back in the office.

James

• Like 2

Picking up this morning, my first task was applying another gloss coat (I’m just going to roll the start/stop time pictures in with the section of work they apply to):

uBZYXrK.jpg

163RuuH.jpg

M6tgvBJ.jpg

Thankfully that got rid of the haziness, and gave a base for re-applying the Flory wash to make the panel lines not have a pinkish hue:

Rx8McXp.jpg

IznQDFL.jpg

maiRkMi.jpg

I left that to dry while I did some work on the Arado, then cleaned it up:

mF8cena.jpg

WaiPV1C.jpg

XsdQvw5.jpg

ay4Nvbr.jpg

After checking my to do list, I decided the next task was to sort out the navigation & landing lights. I masked the navigation lights and gave them a brush coat of decanted Molotow chrome, and free-handed the underwing landing light. After that was dry, the navigation lights got a coat of Tamiya transparent green & red (on the relevant sides). I know the navigation lights are actually clear on Vampires, but this seemed better than solid blobs of silver:

AEHi6Cp.jpg

R05lBQW.jpg

GmIJgVK.jpg

yXjjiXE.jpg

zI3kVpH.jpg

I’ll break the post up here while that’s drying.

James

After that was dry, I airbrushed some Tamiya X-19 smoke under the tail, as some of the shots of flying Vampires I’ve found have an exhaust stain there:

8kLoRrh.jpg

ZaE6xGp.jpg

9T8ttTj.jpg

After letting that dry, it was time for a matt coat:

KVAF6m2.jpg

3zVuK1g.jpg

aBvj1Yj.jpg

v2GJSWk.jpg

I managed to knock the mass balances off doing that. Whoops!

Matt coat dry, there was nothing left but some final assembly:

i1XTtNl.jpg

dKv445t.jpg

ZzDyYsr.jpg

A few minutes for the glue to dry on that, and then it was time to unmask the canopy and add the first aid kit decal to the rear canopy:

P9iyluc.jpg

u004NHS.jpg

8IbNekR.jpg

More shots in the RFI shortly, but for now, I think some more music is called for

RFI coming soon

James

• Like 3

• 81-er changed the title to De Havilland Vampire J-28C - Finished!