Carro Armato M13/40 - Tamiya - 1/35

Hello everyone,

This is my take on a workhorse of Axis in North African theater, Carro Armato M13/40.

It should represent a Series 3 tank belonging to the Ariete division, sometime around the battle of Bir el Gubi, November 1941, during the opening engagements of Operation Crusader. The particular vehicle belongs to the VIII battalion, 1st Company, 2nd Platoon. The Ariete's first units disembarked in Tripoli on 24 January 1941. Battle at Bir el Gubi was the first engagement where Ariete fought as a division. Also, it was the first armored engagement in the conflict that was successful for the Italians, and it was the battle that earned Ariete division respect among both Axis and Allies. After this event, the narrative directed toward Italian armored forces changes to: "they fought valiantly, despite being ill-equipped".

The model is based on Tamiya kit No. 35296 with some changes in order to accurately represent the Series 3 vehicle (Tamiya kit is a mix of features of Series 1, 2, and 3 vehicles, as well as M14/41). I also used a few AM Royal Model sets. You can see the whole build here.

And here's the result:

Kit is painted with Hataka's version of Khaki Sahariano. Weathered with MIG's nature effects and MIG's and VMS pigments.

I enjoyed building this kit. Even though it has some issues regarding accuracy, changes required to make it accurate (if that's your thing) are quite easy to do. 

Thanks for watching and thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 41
  • Thanks 1

Very nice Nenad, really like what you have done with this. Think the stowage you have used has made a massive difference to add some extra interest.

There is something i like about WW2 Italian armour, but i can't put my finger on it 🤔

George

• Thanks 1

Another great model Nenad! Your thorough research can't be praised highly enough. I love your North Africa subjects (my father would have been excited!)

• Thanks 1

Fantastic. Nicely restrained weathering, and I agree with the other comments about the stowage - it really adds to the model and is exceptionally well done. The driver doesn't have a very good view out though! 🙂

Ian

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2022 at 10:34 AM, Geo1966 said:

Very nice Nenad, really like what you have done with this. Think the stowage you have used has made a massive difference to add some extra interest.

There is something i like about WW2 Italian armour, but i can't put my finger on it 🤔

George

Thank you George. Yeah, me too... also Italian aircraft.

On 8/25/2022 at 10:47 AM, Gordon J said:

Cracking model Nenad but the link for the build is missing.

Thank you Gordon.

On 8/25/2022 at 4:04 PM, SoftScience said:

Your work is always so beautiful. This one is no exception.

I love the fabric effect on the stowage. I hope you can do a master-class video some day in how you do this.

Thank you for your kind words. Stowage was actually quite simple doing, just dry brushed it with lighter color, applied pigments, and wiped the excess with the tissue. 

On 8/25/2022 at 5:42 PM, FrancisGL said:

HI Nenad,

A nice result, I love all the equipment above and around the tank, and the conversion to a more exact model.

Cheers and TC.

Francis.👍

Thank you Francis.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:10 PM, Pete Robin said:

Brilliant. Will also say that the stowage is impeccable. I looked several times thinking the stuff on the front was genuine sackcloth. Lovely.

Regards

Pete

Thank you Pete.

On 8/26/2022 at 10:49 AM, Toryu said:

Another great model Nenad! Your thorough research can't be praised highly enough. I love your North Africa subjects (my father would have been excited!)

Thank you Toryu, really glad to hear this.

On 8/26/2022 at 11:49 AM, Celestialsphere said:

Nice model.

The stowage is well painted.

Thanks 

Andrew

Thank you Andrew.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:13 PM, IanC said:

Fantastic. Nicely restrained weathering, and I agree with the other comments about the stowage - it really adds to the model and is exceptionally well done. The driver doesn't have a very good view out though! 🙂

Ian

Thank you Ian. This one at least had some view :)

Quite often, it was completely covered with sandbags and tracks. As I understand, driver port was considered a biggest weakspot on M13/40.

On 8/26/2022 at 7:57 PM, StuartH said:

Beautiful model and outstanding photography as ever 👏

The stowage is top drawer...is it hand made or purchased? The blankets look so soft and textured! 👍

Thank you Stuart. It's purchased, Royal Model stowage.

On 8/26/2022 at 8:02 PM, Milan Mynar said:

Nice built and painted.

Thank you Milan.

23 hours ago, vytautas said:

That is utterly superb!

Great painting and weathering job, also nice photography.

Vytautas

Thank you Vytautas, you are very kind.

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

You'v done a great job there Nenad. The paint job looks spot on. Nice work.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2022 at 10:18 PM, Autle said:

Excellent modelling again Nenad especially like the colour palette and stowage, well done 

Thank you!

On 9/5/2022 at 4:15 PM, John_W said:

Very nice build.

Thank you John!

On 9/5/2022 at 10:19 PM, nimrod484 said:

Agree with everyone. Very nice build. Excellent stowage also caught my eye. I also enjoy modelling Italian armour.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Thank you Jeremy. Me too. Italian aircraft as well.