1:50/48 airliners

In this scale the best you can hope to find are small business jets, like the Citation, Learjet and Falcon issued by Hasegawa a few years ago.

If you don't mind piston powered types, then of course there's the C-47, that was widely used postwar by a number of air transport companies. Alternatively, Italeri and Testors had a 1/48 C-130, a type that also had some civilian users. There may have been more in the ID or Combat Models ranges, all old style vacuforms that today may be hard to find

• Like 2

Also towards the smaller biz-jet range there is the Heller Dassault Mystere/Falcon 20 (depending on release date) in 1:50 scale , engine pods nothing like production aircraft , door on wrong side of the fuselage , basic undercarriage as well as tending towards the rare/expensive end of the second-hand market.

10 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

In this scale the best you can hope to find are small business jets, like the Citation, Learjet and Falcon issued by Hasegawa a few years ago.

If you don't mind piston powered types, then of course there's the C-47, that was widely used postwar by a number of air transport companies. Alternatively, Italeri and Testors had a 1/48 C-130, a type that also had some civilian users. There may have been more in the ID or Combat Models ranges, all old style vacuforms that today may be hard to find

How big was that Hercules kit ?  

I once was looking into a 1/48 scale build with a DC-10 involved. I found that one of the travel agency models was in that scale but I never went on with the plan. later I saw one such model out in a garden and it was awfully big.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2022 at 21:11, richellis said:

Thanks, I wanted a fuselage to go on a lowloader trailer, maybe it will be a scratch build then 🤔

I always encourage people to have a crack at scratchbuilding so go for it. 

This could prove a very challenging subject though, as the fuselage would be hollow but still has to be strong enough to be structurally sound. At this scale the model would probably demand interior details throughout. Also, All of those little windows have to be both glazed and identical…🤔

One day I’m going to have a go at an airliner (probably 1/72 scale) but in the meantime these things scare me a bit…

If you do have a crack at this I will watch with interest.

@Fozzy is the man to talk to. He scratchbuilt a hollow fully detailed B17 fuselage. It’s all here on BM somewhere in the WIP pages. Sorry I’m browsing on my phone; I don’t know how to post a link using my phone. 

If you are happy with 3D printed resin the One Man Models does a 1/48 HS748 and have a 1/48 ERJ-145 in the pipeline.If you just wanted the fuselage then maybe it would be easier to negotiate to  purchase just the relevant parts.

Peter

7 hours ago, richellis said:

This is what I am looking to do, not necessarily a VC10

https://www.flickr.com/gp/55234888@N05/T10o9G6574
I did wonder if a 1:72 Heller 707 would work 🤔

Anigrand do a 1/72nd VC10 in resin . The fuselage is in 4 pieces 2 halves of the fwd Fuselage and 2 for the rear fuse . The split is fwd of the wing and  what's on that truck link you put up is after the wing  . Might not be ideal for you . Have a look at ..................... . https://www.anigrand.com/AA2096_VC-10.htm

Edited by bzn20

On 8/25/2022 at 8:22 PM, bzn20 said:

How big was that Hercules kit ?  

This page should give a rough idea, all trees are shown with their dimensions

https://www.italeri.com/prodotto/2351

This is the page for the J but they also had other variants. Don't know when the kit was last reissued and how easily available it may be

• Thanks 1

Hi @richellis. There is a Revell kit in 1.48 of the Lockheed pv1 Ventura that might fit the bill. It's not a passenger aircraft straight out of the box but the planes were bought and converted postwar in numerous styles.

I'm doing one as a Bolivian airliner.... 

IMG_20220829_223223

You'll have to make the windows etc but it's a very typical looking aircraft of the time I. E. pre jet age. 

These kits should be a lot easier to find...They have even turned up in discount shops for £15.previously. At 1.48 the fuselage is 12 inches long - 30cm.

The thing is, you don't need a whole aircraft. You might not even want a specific accurate representation of a particular aeroplane . You may be more interested in the truck /lorry and just want a load. Probably draped in tarpaulins. 

So a basis to apply some scratch modifications to may be all you need 

• Like 2

There is the Lockheed Vega:
https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/Lockheed-Vega-5C.html
It is an airliner out of the box, just needs new decals.

Or an An-2 perhaps?
it can be called "modern" (slightly)
https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/Antonov-An-2-Civil-version-Aeroclub-Czech-and-Moravy.html

Ohh:
https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/Britten-Norman-BN-2A-Islander.html

An Islander :)

Actually, if you go the above website, you can click "civilian" in 1/48 scale and see a (limited) number of options.

Edited by SprueMan

On 8/25/2022 at 7:59 PM, Orso said:

I once was looking into a 1/48 scale build with a DC-10 involved. I found that one of the travel agency models was in that scale but I never went on with the plan. later I saw one such model out in a garden and it was awfully big.

I've been trying to work it out,a DC-10 is 181ft 7in long....

DC-10 in 1/48 is 2,175.7 mm long.  A little over 2 m, that will need its own hangar outside the modelling room 😉  As an example of a large scratchbuild are you following this 1/32 Shackleton build? 

Edited by dcrfan
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2022 at 9:02 AM, Giorgio N said:

These were reboxed by Revell as well.  They are indeed good kits, I've built two of them (Learjet and Citation).

• Like 1