1/144 ATR-72 British Airways "Benyhone" Livery

A day I feared would never occur - this model is finally done! It fought me every inch of the way and was abandoned several times over the past two years due to me losing interest. It is the F-RSIN kit, which had multiple issues. If you want to watch the painful process of this build it is documented here.

This aircraft was the first airliner I ever flew, so has sentimental value. Here are some pictures showing the finished kit. I would usually ask for critique, but I know this one has several flaws and inaccuracies so please be kind - I'm just glad to finally get it finished and off the bench!

rfi1.jpg

rfi2.jpg

rfi3.jpg

rfi4.jpg

rfi6.jpg

rfi5.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 37

I just read the full blown, Greek Tragedy description of the build..... at least there was a happy ending.

That is the first resin, F-RSIN kit i've seen....and it will be my last. I think a Mach 2 kit would be a welcome respite by comparison.

Speaking of "Planes i have Flown"... i really should grab one of those new Beech King Air 300 kits, and while i'm at it, an AModel Falcon 50....

Good on ye for fighting the good fight. Most people would have binned that model at the warped wing stage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given the massive problems you had,it turned out beautifully.

The ATR Turboprops are really nice airplanes and this model is a nice replica.

Glad you finished it.

I never built an f-rsin kit,and I guess I never will.

I saw a few kits and was always scared away due to the really very short run "quality" of the parts.

They have some interesting subjects but I guess life is too short...😉

Thanks for sharing

Alex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Model is nice-looking, but also has some damages on decals of cockpit, and on the BA red-blue logos as well. and …
But, stop!
Finally, is that so important, when we have a chance to see the result of such long progress?? 
And I see it was devilishly complicated built of  really not one of the best resin kits. 

My congratulations on the point you’ve written finally in this story!

Respects, tMikha. 

Edited by tMikha
  • Like 1

Quoting from the last post in your w.i.p thread - "It’s not pretty, but it looks a bit like an ATR-72!" - I think you do yourself a disservice Matt, as I think it's very pretty and looks a lot like an ATR-72! The latter because of all the skill, time and effort you put into the dog of a kit to get such a lovely result! 

Top job! 👍

Keith

• Thanks 1

Wow! Going through your story, resin seems like such hard work. I was thinking of ordering one, but i think i should work on my basic skills first using the  plastic models (and get a proper work place to practice these skills). 

Well done on the finished product despite all the challenges.

• Like 1

Great result despite the problems. Thanks for sharing.

I'm sorry I missed the WIP. I built that kit twice many years ago, once in Thai Regional colours and once in Lufthansa Cityliner colours. Apart from the wire undercarriage which I had to re-solder on the Lufthansa build I can't honestly say it gave me too much trouble. You must have been unlucky with your example. I actually prefer the old resin kit to the newer short-run plastic version which suffers from an excessively thick fin, an error which is virtually impossible to correct. The best 1/144 ATR-72 by a country mile is PAS Models but sadly the unpleasantness in Ukraine means much Russian stuff is unavailable in the UK just now.

Jon Ochoa at 8A Decals does "photo real" window decals for the ATR 42/72 if you ever build another one or think about retro-fitting.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

On 24/08/2022 at 16:37, David H said:

I just read the full blown, Greek Tragedy description of the build..... at least there was a happy ending.

That is the first resin, F-RSIN kit i've seen....and it will be my last. I think a Mach 2 kit would be a welcome respite by comparison.

Good on ye for fighting the good fight. Most people would have binned that model at the warped wing stage.

Thanks David, I was glad to see the back of this one! I wouldn't buy another one either...!😁

On 24/08/2022 at 17:41, Alex1978 said:

Given the massive problems you had,it turned out beautifully.

The ATR Turboprops are really nice airplanes and this model is a nice replica.

Glad you finished it.

Cheers Alex. It's probably the worst model on my shelf - I will attempt the injection moulded version next time!

On 24/08/2022 at 19:54, mitchem said:

S'truth !  Talk about a silk purse.

Thanks Mike! 😉

On 24/08/2022 at 20:23, tMikha said:

Model is nice-looking, but also has some damages on decals of cockpit, and on the BA red-blue logos as well. and …
But, stop!
Finally, is that so important, when we have a chance to see the result of such long progress?? 
And I see it was devilishly complicated built of  really not one of the best resin kits. 

My congratulations on the point you’ve written finally in this story!

Thanks tMikha. The decals were not very good, but I had lost my enthusiasm to produce a new set by that stage...

On 24/08/2022 at 21:58, keefr22 said:

Quoting from the last post in your w.i.p thread - "It’s not pretty, but it looks a bit like an ATR-72!" - I think you do yourself a disservice Matt, as I think it's very pretty and looks a lot like an ATR-72! The latter because of all the skill, time and effort you put into the dog of a kit to get such a lovely result! 

Thanks Keith, you're very kind! 😀

On 24/08/2022 at 22:02, Zulu Hotel Alpha said:

Wow! Going through your story, resin seems like such hard work. I was thinking of ordering one, but i think i should work on my basic skills first using the  plastic models (and get a proper work place to practice these skills). 

Well done on the finished product despite all the challenges.

Thank you! I'm about to try another resin kit, which I hope will turn out far better. I think this one was particularly poor... don't let this put you off resin!

On 24/08/2022 at 22:11, Skodadriver said:

Great result despite the problems. Thanks for sharing.

I'm sorry I missed the WIP. I built that kit twice many years ago, once in Thai Regional colours and once in Lufthansa Cityliner colours. Apart from the wire undercarriage which I had to re-solder on the Lufthansa build I can't honestly say it gave me too much trouble. You must have been unlucky with your example. I actually prefer the old resin kit to the newer short-run plastic version which suffers from an excessively thick fin, an error which is virtually impossible to correct. The best 1/144 ATR-72 by a country mile is PAS Models but sadly the unpleasantness in Ukraine means much Russian stuff is unavailable in the UK just now.

Jon Ochoa at 8A Decals does "photo real" window decals for the ATR 42/72 if you ever build another one or think about retro-fitting.

Thanks Dave. I have the other one in my stash, so will do battle with that in due course! Thanks for the great tip about the decals; they look very good.👍

On 25/08/2022 at 00:25, chrispisme said:

Glad you stuck with it, very nice result!

loooooots of work but good feeling to cross the finish line I bet. Looking at mine a few moths after completion realized I’d put the main gear doors on backwards, live n learn…I hope

Thank you! An easy mistake and one I nearly made myself...!😆

16 hours ago, RMCS said:

Fantastic 

Thank you!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Thanks tMikha. The decals were not very good, but I had lost my enthusiasm to produce a new set by that stage...

I've written that not to give any criticism 😳 

I meant that if somebody wants to find any disadvantage, he will find it. But this small disadvantage is really means nothing when compared with the great work you've done over this complicated resin kit. 

And once more thank you for sharing with us! 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Beautiful job there Matt. I missed this first time around and just found it having looked through the original WIP.

I have experience with an F-RSIN kit .................. 😱  .... You have done very well to turn this one out looking so good!

Terry

31 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Beautiful job there Matt. I missed this first time around and just found it having looked through the original WIP.

I have experience with an F-RSIN kit .................. 😱  .... You have done very well to turn this one out looking so good!

Thanks Terry👍

It’s as good as I’m going to get it, I’m just impressed you uncovered this thread after a year! 😂

• Haha 1