Royal Navy Phatom FG1 Question

Tomjw

Thos may seem like a daft question, but I'm no Brit Phantom expert. I'd like to make a Royal Navy FG1 Phantom in 1/48 but the Hasegawa kits are commanding silly prices. Is it possible to make an RN Phantom out of the 111 Sqn FG1 Hasegawa boxing?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Edited by Tomjw
More specific detail added

It certainly should be as these were the originaly the RN aircraft in service. I wouldn't imagine Hasegawa will have removed the parts for the bridal hooks. 

• Like 1

Muzz is correct, any of the Hasegawa FG-1  boxings can be built as RN jets.  Slotted Stabs, Catapult hooks and extending Nose leg are in the box. Just need some decals. 

• Like 1

I have built myself an RN Phantom from the Hasegawa RAF FG1 kit, all the bits are there.

The revell kit may be an option, but I don't believe it comes with the correct wheels (the hasegawa kit has some white metal wheels with hideous rubber tyres).

The Hasegawa decals are rubbish. Xtradecal do a set of stencils and markings for the "Colonial Navy" zapped FG1, I've managed to use these to make the un-zapped version. However, the tail squadron markings are the wrong size and some of the stencils are not included (walkways and elevator angle).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellsprop said:

The revell kit may be an option, but I don't believe it comes with the correct wheels (the hasegawa kit has some white metal wheels with hideous rubber tyres).

The Revell kit is a repop of the hasegawa FGR2 (F-4M) and as well as incorrect (USAF) Wheels, it has the unslotted stabilators and the standard un-extending Nose Landing gear. 

• Like 1

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your replies. That will now be my plan to build a Vixen, Phantom and Bucc all in RN schemes and all in 1/48

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tomjw said:

That will now be my plan to build a Vixen, Phantom and Bucc all in RN schemes and all in 1/48

I'm doing the same building the entire FAA jet collection in 1/48, just finishing the Phantom before building the Bucc, then 3 Harriers! Looking forward to seeing your builds :)

• Like 1

I'm doing the same building the entire FAA jet collection in 1/48, just finishing the Phantom before building the Bucc, then 3 Harriers! Looking forward to seeing your builds :)

Excellent. Is your Phantom on here?

That collection will be an awesome display when it's finished 👌 

Cheers,

Tom

15 hours ago, Tomjw said:

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your replies. That will now be my plan to build a Vixen, Phantom and Bucc all in RN schemes and all in 1/48

Cheers,

Tom

But no Gannet or Scimitar.  Come on, Airfix; you know you want to!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

One other difference between an RAF FG1 and the FAA FG1. Don't bother fitting the ILS antenna that are fitted either side of the tail fin. The navy didn't need help (apart from "paddles") to land on a short pitching deck!

...and don't be tempted to fit the SUU Gun either as these weren't an option in the FAA days.

Duncan B

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

But no Gannet or Scimitar.  Come on, Airfix; you know you want to!

Oh for a decent Gannet in 1/48...

22 hours ago, Tomjw said:

Oh for a decent Gannet in 1/48...

The Classic Airframes kit is rather nice, albeit very pricey when you do find one - you may be able to imagine how I felt when I began sawing the wing up for the wingfold! And there's also the lovely vacform kit from dynavector :) as for the Scimitar, the dynavector kit makes a great build and the scratchaeronautics kit looks pretty good too! 

Regarding the FAA Phantom, also be aware that they only ever had the AIM-9D variant of the Sidewinder. 

• Like 1

The Classic Airframes kit is rather nice, albeit very pricey when you do find one - you may be able to imagine how I felt when I began sawing the wing up for the wingfold! And there's also the lovely vacform kit from dynavector :) as for the Scimitar, the dynavector kit makes a great build and the scratchaeronautics kit looks pretty good too! 

Regarding the FAA Phantom, also be aware that they only ever had the AIM-9D variant of the Sidewinder. 

I suffer from a syndrome where the words Classic Airframes tends to send shudders down my spine 😬😂

And perhaps my skills are not up to par to tackle a dynavector vac kit. I am going to Google the other you referred to though...

Cheers,

Tom

On 8/25/2022 at 7:35 PM, Steve McArthur said:

Classic Airframes had a Gannet in 1/48 that was reissued by Hannants around 5 years ago. 

The Classic Airframes Gannet (which I have) is the Anti-Submarine version.  The AEW Gannet to ho with Buccs, Tooms etc. was a very different aircraft.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The Classic Airframes Gannet (which I have) is the Anti-Submarine version.  The AEW Gannet to ho with Buccs, Tooms etc. was a very different aircraft.

You can also do the Classic Airframes kit as the COD version which lingered in service a bit longer. Icelandic Fine Arts did a full resin AEW Gannet that's been out for a few years, no idea if it's still available.