early 747 pushback and startup questions

busnproplinerfan

I have a 1/100 747 that I got used and needs a major rebuild.  I'm thinking of lighting the exterior and maybe make the engines run. The pax windows will be filled and replaced with decals because the plastic windows fit so bad and I'm missing bits. My question is, when the walkways are moved away and the mule starts the pushout, which exterior lights are on and when. Are they flashing or on steady? I've seen other planes with the lights on steady as they are loading. Do they change once the mule disconnects? I might plan on having a mule hooked up to it. It may also be posed on a taxiway. Kinda like the look of a mule with it. I never got to see a 747 up close and there's not much for videos on this. I don't know if it's any different with later ones or with different types of planes.

If you have a look on Youtube you should find many videos of &$&'s push backing and engine start. Here's one of a Qantas 747-400.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi mate,

Aircraft moving on the ground at night (under tow or using own power) would show:

- Wingtip navigation lights (red / green) and tail light (white)

- Red anti-collision beacons/strobes

- on taxiways - taxi lights (usually on the nose gear)

- on entering the runway - wingtip & tail strobes and main landing lights.

They might also have other lights on such as:

- Tail logo lights

- Wing/engine inspection lights

Hope this helps

Cheers

Tim

1 hour ago, Timo said:

Hi mate,

Aircraft moving on the ground at night (under tow or using own power) would show:

- Wingtip navigation lights (red / green) and tail light (white)

- Red anti-collision beacons/strobes

- on taxiways - taxi lights (usually on the nose gear)

- on entering the runway - wingtip & tail strobes and main landing lights.

They might also have other lights on such as:

- Tail logo lights

- Wing/engine inspection lights

Hope this helps

Cheers

Tim

Thanks, big help. I just ordered a set of lighting and I asked for tip lights, belly dorsal, a light for a mule. I asked for three white strobes for the tips and tail. Maybe I should leave the strobes off? I don't know when strobes and tail logo lights started to be used, 90s? This will be a CP Air plane so it was around until the early very 90s at least.