Dirty 'Beast'

Ian

Kit - Tamiya

Paint - All acrylics.

Decals - Spares

Extras - Stowage from spares. RB Models turned aluminium barrel.

ISU-152

Unknown Assault Company

Konigsburg Pocket

Spring 1945

tdbFFv2.jpg

i3azGDu.jpg

CisytMW.jpg

pkaaVwr.jpg

N4bEEwb.jpg

NoozapQ.jpg

rBnJMHq.jpg

qvzjUO9.jpg

iOQJPTI.jpg

First started in December, then back to the bench about a month ago ahead of a competition over in Hamilton in September.

Tamiya's well known ISU-152 really does fall together with only the link-and-length tracks giving [me] a challenge (I'm terrible at building & installing tracks). I chose to replace the kit barrel with an RB turned aluminium one, which is so heavy, I had to add a counterbalance of garden pebbles & Miliput in the rear of the hull ! - regardless it's well worth the investment IMHO. Other than that, the seated crewman and the couple of items of stowage, this is an OoB build.

Paint is all acrylics mixed using the Mk.I eyeball method. Followed by the usual chipping, pin wash, oil-dot filter and then pastels (my least favourite aspect of weathering). For this I wanted the vehicle to look used but not abused - the 'duelling scar' on the front cheek is an experiment - never done that before. The rubble was a last-minute decision, again an experiment, but I love the look - the relatively clean topsides imply the crew has cleaned-off the worst of the dirt and it's collected on the fenders. Not sure if it's worked, would appreciate your thoughts on that.

Nothing else to say for now, to the folks who followed the WiP thread here, thanks guys, really appreciate your encouragement along the way. Please criticise, question and comment. All the best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 30

Very nice Ian, the ISU 152 does have a certain "charm" all of it's own and you've done a superb job recreating it.

Great paintwork and effects, I do like the streaking, scarring and general grubbiness of it, it really conveys the look of well used heavy metal.

Nice work with the figures too!

Thanks for posting.

Darryl 

• Like 1

HI Ian,

Magnificent interpretation of the beast, I remember that it was my first kit (Zvezda) that I bought new and I started trying new weathering techniques, new materials.... I think I overdid it a bit, but...I was catching up after more than 20 years...😅

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback and comments. 

Not sure what will be on the bench next... what I am fairly certain of, is that the next armour build will be German, maybe a Hetzer, maybe a Jagd Panther.

Cheers, best from NZ.

• Like 1

This is a AFV that's on my wish list. Looking great!!! The paintjob and weathering are spot in! And the figures give it a good sence of scale. This was an absolute beast and you've really done it justice!

• Thanks 1

Really nice work. The painting and weathering are excellent, as are the two figures.

As an aside, When I was a little bit naive, I Googled "The Beast". Didn't quite get the result that I was looking for:o.

John.

• Haha 1