Sikorsky CH-53

Sierra Tango

I need the assistance of those in the know about helicopters and Airfix kits. I have a long term goal of building 1/72 kits of aircraft that were based/operated at NAS Dallas from post WW II until the base closed in 1994. Lot of variety with that goal to include, but not limited to; AM-1s, F6Fs, F4Us, SB2C-5, TBM-3Es, FJ-1s, FH-01s, FJ-3s, F9F, R5D, F-8s, C-118s, TV-2s, F-4s, etc. Trick will be making the tail code markings for the base which were typically "D" or "7D" or "DA, DF". My question to the group; can the Airfix 1/72 CH-53D/G kit be easily modified  to create a CH-53A or CH-53D? Attached is a poor photo of what I want to eventually build; CH-53 assigned to HMH-772 on approach to the ramp at NAS Dallas on July 19, 1986. Note the crewman giving me the evil eye from the right door.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 8/24/2022 at 8:03 AM, I Dole said:

Airfix did several boxings of the H-53. One was in Marine Corps markings.

Also Academy have just, or are about to release a Marines version. Scalemates tells us it is from the Fujimi moulds.

The short answer is yes.

You can take a look at the instructions on Scalemates here:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/1/1/0/185110-47-instructions.pdf

This box has the filters for the engine intakes as well as the non-filtered German version. There's a later box with refuelling probe and sponson tanks, but it looks like you won't need those.

best,

M.