Bless my soul it’s a Fairey Firefly in 1/48 by Trumpeter

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

28 replaced for 33

52311205169_ac369a125d_b.jpg

25 replaced for 2 with 19 dots added.

It will depend on what scheme.  But the RAF/FAA settled on standard size underwing and fuselage roundel for all small/medium types, which were a 32 inch C roundel [decal 34 above] and a the same with a 2 inch yellow outline, making it a 36 inch C1 [decal 33] 

these are standard from May 1942 for everything ...Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mosquito, Typhoon, Firefly etc etc.... 

( I have know this for so long it's 'obvious' but it's so 'obvious' it is not always explained....

Upperwings B types DO vary in size.   I'd have to look up what the Firefly size is, but from the decal image posted by @bigbadbadge I'd say they were about 50 inch, bear in mind the C1 are 36 inch which is what I am using as guide....

Note, the terms for roundels A, [equal with red/white/blue rings ]  B,[red/blue only]  C, [thin white ring type ], adding 1, as C1, means adding a yellow ring,   D is post 1947,  return to the brighter pre war colours as well, and larger red spot, but equal sized rings, the spot centre ring working from the centre, the A type  is the width of the next ring, if that makes sense, so the D centre is double the diameter of the A type.   

The A,B,C,D types are not the correct British terminology, they are a post war invention, (possibly by J.F Bowyer?) but are so usefully descriptive they are almost always used to describe the roundel types.

The correct terminology I'd have too look up,   it's not very helpful though, which is why no-one uses it.....  

here endeth the lecture...

PS note your replacements are the right colour,  dark blue, brick red,  note the B roundel proportions, IIRC the red is 2/5th of the diameter... this catches out a lot of people...plenty of warbirds with odd proportions....

final detail.  Upperwing position, 1/3 of span in from tip to roundel centre

example - Hurricane

span 40 ft, = 480 inch/2 = 240. /3 = 80 inch, which is how far in from the tip the roundel centre is.  This is true for all WW2 RAF types...

HTH

Edited by Troy Smith
tidy up, detail.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

This should be good 🤩

Something about Trumpeters attitude to the modelling world that seems to irk the community. Must admit I've never done one or even own a boxful. But look at you.... "time to fire up the computer for a bit of 3d design and print"...... No stopping you now, Johnny! 😎

Don't forget the jolly old walkaround resource on BM, if you haven't already scanned it. 

Right, let's go.... 👍

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice work on the 3D Johnny .  No worries   if you need the decals let me know.

Chris

I think I might be ok but I’ll let you know for sure. 👍 Thanks again. 

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Producing great 3D stuff already, aren't you Johnny? :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks G. I’m just glad it’s the right size. Remember the Demon’s tiny seat. 🙀

10 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

It will depend on what scheme.  But the RAF/FAA settled on standard size underwing and fuselage roundel for all small/medium types, which were a 32 inch C roundel [decal 34 above] and a the same with a 2 inch yellow outline, making it a 36 inch C1 [decal 33] 

these are standard from May 1942 for everything ...Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mosquito, Typhoon, Firefly etc etc.... 

( I have know this for so long it's 'obvious' but it's so 'obvious' it is not always explained....

Upperwings B types DO vary in size.   I'd have to look up what the Firefly size is, but from the decal image posted by @bigbadbadge I'd say they were about 50 inch, bear in mind the C1 are 36 inch which is what I am using as guide....

Note, the terms for roundels A, [equal with red/white/blue rings ]  B,[red/blue only]  C, [thin white ring type ], adding 1, as C1, means adding a yellow ring,   D is post 1947,  return to the brighter pre war colours as well, and larger red spot, but equal sized rings, the spot centre ring working from the centre, the A type  is the width of the next ring, if that makes sense, so the D centre is double the diameter of the A type.   

The A,B,C,D types are not the correct British terminology, they are a post war invention, (possibly by J.F Bowyer?) but are so usefully descriptive they are almost always used to describe the roundel types.

The correct terminology I'd have too look up,   it's not very helpful though, which is why no-one uses it.....  

here endeth the lecture...

PS note your replacements are the right colour,  dark blue, brick red,  note the B roundel proportions, IIRC the red is 2/5th of the diameter... this catches out a lot of people...plenty of warbirds with odd proportions....

final detail.  Upperwing position, 1/3 of span in from tip to roundel centre

example - Hurricane

span 40 ft, = 480 inch/2 = 240. /3 = 80 inch, which is how far in from the tip the roundel centre is.  This is true for all WW2 RAF types...

HTH

That sir is a very comprehensive answer. I’ll do a bit of measuring and hopefully they’re good. 👍

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

This should be good 🤩

Something about Trumpeters attitude to the modelling world that seems to irk the community. Must admit I've never done one or even own a boxful. But look at you.... "time to fire up the computer for a bit of 3d design and print"...... No stopping you now, Johnny! 😎

Don't forget the jolly old walkaround resource on BM, if you haven't already scanned it. 

Right, let's go.... 👍

yup that was the plan. I think this might be my first Trumpeter but is seems nice so far. To be fair there are a lot of people that feel the same about Airfix. For shame. 😑

Thanks for the ref and welcome.😀

• Like 3

Following with keen interest. The original thread title brought a smile too!

I have this kit in the stash and I intend to build it sooner rather than later, so thanks for getting stuck in and showing us how it's done. Lots of useful info has been gained already thanks to all contributors.

Impressive 3D design and printing, looks great!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree that the 3D printed sidewall looks terrific.  I really like this idea of 3D printing small new parts.  I spent a bit of time scratching various antennas for my Yak-38 build and I think it would've been easier and better looking if I'd 3D printed them.

This is an aircraft I've only come to know in the last couple of years so I'm interested to see how you get on with it!

Carry on sir!

• Thanks 1

The 3D printed sidewalls really make the difference. I'm glad someone builds the Trumpeter kit and shows what can be improved. I often wonder how such kits, which get less favourable reviews, build but often nobody is willing to touch them it seems.

Can't wait to see what you will make out of it!

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 1

On 26/08/2022 at 11:10, Gordon J said:

Looking good so far and your 3D printed sidewall looks incredible.

Thankyou sir. Can’t wait to get back to it. 🤩

On 26/08/2022 at 11:48, Zephyr said:

Following with keen interest. The original thread title brought a smile too!

I have this kit in the stash and I intend to build it sooner rather than later, so thanks for getting stuck in and showing us how it's done. Lots of useful info has been gained already thanks to all contributors.

Impressive 3D design and printing, looks great!

Thanks. I’m sure I’ll end up with something that looks like a Firefly. I have seen much worse starting points. 🤝

On 26/08/2022 at 23:57, corsaircorp said:

Come on Spad....

I fell again.....

IMG_20220826_131752

Another CC's thread.... 

Yes Son.... one more....:rofl2::rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

Oh no what have I done. 🤣🤣🤣

On 28/08/2022 at 18:15, opus999 said:

I agree that the 3D printed sidewall looks terrific.  I really like this idea of 3D printing small new parts.  I spent a bit of time scratching various antennas for my Yak-38 build and I think it would've been easier and better looking if I'd 3D printed them.

This is an aircraft I've only come to know in the last couple of years so I'm interested to see how you get on with it!

Carry on sir!

Thanks. Fingers crossed all goes well. 🤞

On 28/08/2022 at 19:07, Shorty84 said:

The 3D printed sidewalls really make the difference. I'm glad someone builds the Trumpeter kit and shows what can be improved. I often wonder how such kits, which get less favourable reviews, build but often nobody is willing to touch them it seems.

Can't wait to see what you will make out of it!

Cheers

Markus

Thanks Markus. I get that this is still an expensive kit but as it is, it never gets bought or picked up cheaper. Cheaper is the best option, then improvements can be made. Hopefully not many to get a nice model. We shall see.

Sorry for the lack of updates. I’m away in Dorset for a week.
More on my return. Thank you for all your kind words.

😀

Johnny

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey!

Hope you’re all having a splendid week so far. 
I have been back a few days but work has been hectic. 🤪

The holiday in Dartmouth was a real tonic, we definitely took the sun with us as we had rain driving back and it hasn’t stopped since.

A few snaps of a wonderful week away.

52339804455_53c947664c_b.jpg 52339611088_2f7c3cb92a_b.jpg 52339678064_124da4710c_b.jpg 52338418072_ed9acc96c3_b.jpg 52338417782_3bceff8e06_b.jpg

My wife and I both got new hats. I think I like mine the best. 🤣

52339677609_e74ae7dc4d_b.jpg 52339374451_49eb296a68_b.jpg

Any way you’re not here for my holiday snaps, it’s hopefully the Firefly you’re after.

This afternoon I decided to rattle out the rest of the cockpit during my lunch.

I made the other side of the tub, some seat cushions, compass, target sight thing, pedals and a bottle to stick to the fire wall at the rear.

52339611583_8960011946_b.jpg

This is when I noticed I’d originally printed the first side in reverse. 😳😖

so I flipped it and set it up to print again. I’ll show you what I mean at the end of the post.

After work I supported the lot and made a few copies just in case.

52339804560_32c4e002c5_b.jpg

And then into the trusty “Freddie”

45 minutes later I had these.

52339804365_9c7018b8ff_b.jpg

And cured.

52338418107_6ab764f5c6_b.jpg

I did a few tolerance checks and everything just fits. Really happy I have the scale stuff sorted. ❤️
Here is the First tub side re printed.

52338418312_fba7aefda1_b.jpg

I read the ref pic wrong and built it thdd Ed wrong way around. The new one is correct. 
Next job is to snip all the parts and get them fitted. 

More tomorrow.😀

Thanks for dropping by, all comments welcome.

Happy modelling y’all. 

Johnny.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

52339677609_e74ae7dc4d_b.jpg52339374451_49eb296a68_b.jpg

More tomorrow.😀

Thanks for dropping by, all comments welcome.

Happy modelling y’all. 

Johnny.

Nice hat John !!

and useful in case of an encounter of the 3rd type......:wicked::wicked:

Now, wearing it under a blistering sun.....:shrug:

Well done with the 3D !! and a luck that you noticed it before you glued it !!

I wonder if your new hat is protective in case of blurglecrunchenionization.....

May be asking a certain Dorsetian about that !!

Glad that you have enjoyed it !!!

Lord, the kids grow up a lot !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like you had a great holiday Johnny. We love Dorset. Spent a great few days in the Purbeck Hills this year trying to escape the 'Platty Jubes'.

52126462931_da5d89fb9d.jpg

Jubilee Weekend in the Purbeck Hills by Mike, on Flickr

I always worry everytime I see one of your updates. It's seriously making me want to dip a toe into the 3D printing pool!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Nice hat John !!

and useful in case of an encounter of the 3rd type......:wicked::wicked:

Now, wearing it under a blistering sun.....:shrug:

Well done with the 3D !! and a luck that you noticed it before you glued it !!

I wonder if your new hat is protective in case of blurglecrunchenionization.....

May be asking a certain Dorsetian about that !!

Glad that you have enjoyed it !!!

Lord, the kids grow up a lot !!

Sincerely.

CC

Ha! Thanks Alain. The helmet is everything proof apparently. 😇😂 I made a bit of a tired error in my post, now corrected. “Dartmouth” not “Dorset”. Well it started with a D.  The kids are indeed growing at a mighty rate. 

15 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, wow—amazing results and great holiday pics!  I really appreciate the time you are making to build our knowledge of 3D printing to improve a kit—very useful—best, Erwin 

Thanks Erwin. I haven’t bought any resin bits since getting my printer. It’s paying for itself. 😇

8 hours ago, giemme said:

Beautiful holidays pics,  Johnny! 

And the 3D modelling looks ace, as usual! :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks G. Just gotta get it all together now. 😃

8 hours ago, Brandy said:

Good save and some nice printing!

Love the hat!

Ian

Thanks. 🎩

7 hours ago, mark.au said:

Great cockpit work there.  That’s going to look excellent once in place and painted up,

Thanks. I do hope so. 😍

2 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Looks like you had a great holiday Johnny. We love Dorset. Spent a great few days in the Purbeck Hills this year trying to escape the 'Platty Jubes'.

52126462931_da5d89fb9d.jpg

Jubilee Weekend in the Purbeck Hills by Mike, on Flickr

I always worry everytime I see one of your updates. It's seriously making me want to dip a toe into the 3D printing pool!

Thanks. Yes we like Dorset too. Alas this holiday was in Dartmouth. My mistake. 🤪

Great camping pic by the way. 🏕

dip your toe dear boy, you won’t regret it. Lots of help on this site too. We got your back. 😉

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Alas this holiday was in Dartmouth. My mistake. 🤪

Great camping pic by the way. 🏕

dip your toe dear boy, you won’t regret it. Lots of help on this site too. We got your back. 😉

Johnny

Hey, it's only the next county along Johnny, easy mistake for a Midlander to make 😉

Alas a 3D set up is a ways down on my current list of priorities, but I keep thinking of all the posibilities ... 🤔  Seeing what you and others on here are knocking out of the park is really inspiring 🙌

(I'm currently modelling deoderant products in Blender, plus a large property development Archviz in the South Downs. I'm getting my head around the building side of things, so it's not a giant leap for me to think about linking this skill to maybe making -insert obscure aeroplane/vehicle of choice here- ... )

• Like 1

Seems like I'm missing a good build here. Better late than never.

Always loved the Firefly, having built early Airfix and Frog versions many years ago. Like @corsaircorp, I have three 1/48 in the stash, the Grand Phoenix Mk I, a Special Hobby U Mk 8 and a Special Hobby Mk IV/V. All great models.

A Trumpeter Firefly will be interesting, and of course the 3D angle a splendid addition!

Following with relish.

Terry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fashionably late for the Big Show as is usual for me. But no matter, A Firefly+ Corrections/3D plus a Monty Python and the Holy Grail re-enactment to boot! I'm all in on this one.

Don't mind me I'll be over here ------------------------------->:drink::popcorn: Watching Lurking studying,  occasionally  tossing spit balls at those asleep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1