Bless my soul it’s a Fairey Firefly in 1/48 by Trumpeter

22 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

maybe if we all wore red carnations, and had a special handshake

As someone pointed out elsewhere, that would only work for the Cold War SIG…

…and don’t forget yesterday’s copy of Pravda in your left hand coat pocket!

• Haha 3

On 13/11/2022 at 22:32, Quiet Mike said:

Great pics Johnny. Another who has never been to Telford before here, I plan to remedy that next year, it looks amazing!

Thanks.  It was a great experience. Looking forward to next year already, but as Bill suggests I must get a room. 😇

23 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Undercarriage bays and legs look great Johnny, great work,  glad you enjoyed Telford. 

Chris

Thanks Chris. ☺️

14 hours ago, woody37 said:

Great catching up with everyone, I didn't realise that was Adrian as never got the chance to speak to him. Always great to see fellow modellers again and put names and faces to forum names!

The Firefly is looking the part now :)

Wasn’t it just. I wish I’d got around to talking with more of the group. More time next year. 😇

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Telford the occasion was as it usually is I have to say, tremendous.

It was indeed! 🤩

13 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Gutted I missed talking to Woody bah!

Jonny, you realise posting my fizzog on the forum brings seven years of bad luck. :laugh:

Just sorting out packing Best Beloved and the rest of our baggage, and then we head back to Kent. It’s been a great weekend, which I hope we can do again sometime. Oh, and the Firefly is looking spiffy, too. :like:

Thanks Heather. Sorry we didn’t really get to speak. Next time for sure. Apologies for the pic share. I could do without any bad luck at the mo. I wonder if there’s a little rhyme I could say? I’m sure Martian would let me know. 🤣

11 hours ago, 81-er said:

Nice progress on the Firefly, Johnny. Was great to meet you and all the other BM folks, and one heck of a show. Definitely need to make the trip again next year, and plan for the whole weekend!

James

(now far poorer by a number I don't want to tot up)

Thanks. Great talking to you. I hope your new place works out and hope to meet up again next year. 😀

10 hours ago, general melchett said:

Good progress Johnny, really looks the part and is coming together beautifully. As previously noted, it was wonderful to meet new faces and catch up with a lot of old friends over the weekend, especially in light of the difficulties of recent years. I didn't feel the urge to purchase much this year since, to be honest, I'm more interested in the social side of the show, which certainly didn't disappoint. I received un ungodly amount of ear-bashing about reviving the big Bucc, so it would be impolite to not get the thing back on the bench asap.

There you go Steve...see, no rabbit ears (or have they been photoshopped out?)

:cheers:

Thanks. Great to see you again.  Next time I’ll spend more time. Or (some) time in the pub. 😇

7 hours ago, Fritag said:

Little? I saw the thing and I think ‘Miniscule’ is more accurate.  Don’t know how @AdrianMF does it tbh.  Magic?

Good luck and looking forward to the WIP :D (You don’t think that recommendation was a sort of Adrian joke do you Johnny?)

She is tiny isn’t she. Looking over the kit at home it’s actually really rather nice. I think with Adrian’s expert guidance I might be ok. 

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Question..... Is there a BM table at Telford?? 

Seems to me that there should be. Just sayin'...... 

(that was weird.... I tried typing OUGHTA, and it just looks like a mistake 😛it is a word though, in a slangy way, right??) 

Anyway, the plane is looking great in every detail. No surprise there then. 

Thanks Rob. Great idea about a BM table at Telford.  Wouldn’t the Mods or at least Mike want to be involved? 

6 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You mean I missed talking to @woody37 AND @tomprobert.  Damn!

Great to see the many I did recognise, anyway…

P.S.  Nice custard ‘Fly.  Yum.

Sorry we didn’t chat more. Next time for sure. 😇

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

As always, superlative modelling on your part, Johnny, but also thank you for the photos of all the Britmodellers. It's been three years since I've seen any of them, and I was surprised at how emotional* it made me feel. Well, I am only an American, after all.

* But not tired! Not during working hours.

Thanks PC, you were there in spirit. The BM Massive are a stunning bunch it’s true. I’m proud to be part of it. 🤜🤛

5 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Interesting question which @Courageous , myself and John, the IPMS treasurer, discussed over beers last night ..... It might have been the early hours of this morning come to think of it ..

🥳

The answer is a bit complex to explain here and the whole thing would need "managing" by a handfull of BM members. Possibly worth exploring more with the exec committee for those really keen on the idea?

Great to meet you Johnny and all the others I met on Saturday and Sunday.

Terry

Ooh can you imagine the table? I’m not sure if there would be more models or beer. ( great idea though ) lovely to meet you too. Next year I’ll make sure I’m around for the night time drinks. 🍻

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

If I was into malicious jokes I’d have let ‘im buy the Airfix one!

Tis true. He talked me out of the one I was going to buy.  And re reading Adrienne thread I’m rather glad he did. 🤪

not a lot done on the Fly tonight but I have managed to get the legs washed (Flory black) and get some brake lines on.

Here we are before the clean off.

52500717944_dd866b1234_b.jpg

And after.

52500717914_bd334d52f8_b.jpg

I decided not to top coat the diver for once and see how the wash reacted. Seems to have gone on well. ☺️

More soon.

Johnny. 

• Like 19

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Next year I’ll make sure I’m around for the night time drinks.

Heads up ............the Hotels in close proximity are taking bookings now, just booked mine for next year!

Nice work on that UC leg there Johnny.

Terry

• Thanks 1

On 15/11/2022 at 09:08, Terry1954 said:

Heads up ............the Hotels in close proximity are taking bookings now, just booked mine for next year!

Nice work on that UC leg there Johnny.

Terry

Ooh Thanks Terry.  😇

• Like 1

Hey. This week is rocketing by. Lots of CrAzy life suff going on that I won’t bore you with but mostly I’ve been getting the last bits sorted and weathering. Actually I’ve also been touching plastic, and choosing my next, (Christmas) build.

Am I allowed to say the “C” word yet? 🎄🎅

So here we are with a short but hopefully sweet update.

The cannons got glued in place.

52505078830_17291c82a2_b.jpg

I eventually managed to get them straight. And I got my wheels painted and grubbed up. I’m so much more happy with these than the kit bits.😇

52504872949_50bba6bca7_b.jpg

And finally a Flory wash.

52504872994_95a9de55ef_b.jpg

I did the underside too but forgot to take any snaps. 😩

well more for next time eh.

Hope you’re all having a great week. Take care and as always. Happy modelling.

Johnny. ☺️

• Like 22

26 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

And I got my wheels painted and grubbed up. I’m so much more happy with these than the kit bits.😇

52504872949_50bba6bca7_b.jpg

They are wonderful....but still 4 spoke.   You may no longer care, as they are great, and maybe the prototype got to test the new wheels.... but just in case.. 

Looks fine though....  :goodjob:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The build is looking great as are your pictures from Telford. Only been there twice myself, the first time I nearly got run down by a Dalek! :dalek1:

Gondor

Edited by Gondor44
Caps lock
  • Thanks 1

On 16/11/2022 at 22:50, The Spadgent said:

And finally a Flory wash.

52504872994_95a9de55ef_b.jpg

It looks like a Vogon has sneezed allover it! Seriously though, I impressed with how this build is coming along.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

On 16/11/2022 at 23:14, 81-er said:

Looking thoroughly disgusting, in the best way. Should look cracking when you knock that back

James

Thank you dear boy!  

On 16/11/2022 at 23:20, Troy Smith said:

They are wonderful....but still 4 spoke.   You may no longer care, as they are great, and maybe the prototype got to test the new wheels.... but just in case.. 

Looks fine though....  :goodjob:

“Prototype got to test the new wheels” 👀 yes let’s go with that. Thanks Troy. 😇 your help is always appreciated. 👌

On 17/11/2022 at 19:06, bigbadbadge said:

Looking lovely Johnny, great job , nearly there now. 

Chris

Thanks Chris. Yes , all but the squaylin’ as my old Nan used to say. 😀

On 19/11/2022 at 16:49, Gondor44 said:

The build is looking great as are your pictures from Telford. Only been there twice myself, the first time I nearly got run down by a Dalek! :dalek1:

Gondor

Thankyou. A Dalek!!! Oh I would have loved that. 😇

On 22/11/2022 at 15:30, Lewis95 said:

Looks like I returned to BM just in time to see this one get over the line! Looks fab matey :)

Thank you. Glad you’re back. 🤩

On 22/11/2022 at 16:13, Martian said:

It looks like a Vogon has sneezed allover it! Seriously though, I impressed with how this build is coming along.

Martian 👽

Hasn’t it just. 🦠 😂 Thank you oh mighty tentacled one. Sorry we didn’t get to chat at the show. Next year eh. 😉 

• Like 3

Good evening you lot. Hope you’ve had a lovely week. Mine has been all over the place. But I won’t bore you with the details. One good thing is that I managed to sit at the bench this morning for the fist time in over a week. “Bliss” let’s start at the start shall we.

Well the Flory had well and truly dried so I went at it with a light cloth and a cotton bud.

52527724369_2df649d98f_b.jpg

Eventually leaving just the right amount of dark marks and variation.

52527960223_e3c149198d_b.jpg

Everything then got collated for a top matte coat. Apart from the spinner that had a semi gloss coat. 

52527887215_2703afd7ef_b.jpg

The matte toned everything back to how I like it.

52527960153_4747fe86fb_b.jpg

And top side.

52527411296_e7df24d54b_b.jpg

Happy with that next it was time to remove the masking. Always a twitchy moment. 🤞

The first few masks come off to reveal?? Well lord knows but it wasn’t good. 😩😩😩

52527887745_4cb1b66bcd_b.jpg

I couldn’t quite tell but I knew drastic action was called for. Luckily I always pop the canopies on with GG these days so a few swiped with a fresh blade and some brass fellows and we go POP! 

52527958218_456993c9f2_b.jpg

Don’t ask me how but it looks like paint? Maybe some ingress from somewhere but luckily just on the clear part. That was cleaned as were the little specs and she was ready to go back in place.

More GG applied.

52527958283_1085954444_b.jpg

And we’re back in business.

52527888185_711dce329e_b.jpg

The rear clear parts had no issues which is super lucky as I’d faired them in.

52526947237_15efaea235_b.jpg

Wheels next you say. 

A little drilling of my printed chappie sand we’re on. 🤩

52526945962_1e28046516_b.jpg

Then on the Aeroplane.

52527887415_d6c247a8d1_b.jpg

Trusty tape to keep everything in place.

Then the Ook!

52527412181_8de54c765a_b.jpg

Yes I can here @giemme screaming at the last pic hoping that I hadn’t put masking tape over the decal. 🤦‍♂️

Too late. 😞

52526945372_1da969f167_b.jpg

Will I never learn. Onward and upward. I managed to scalpel parts of the roundel away from the tape and set it back in place. That and the tail wheel can be seen in the next shot. I might touch up but if you didn’t know you might think it’s weathering so I’m going with that. 🥸

52527687409_08519c554d_b.jpg

The landing light got unmasked and the vent covers I printed got glued on.

52527687784_a895ed236b_b.jpg

It’s all hitting up now. 😎

The UC doors got added.

52526946637_ea3eb7459b_b.jpg

Tail flaps.

52527688474_6cccb05fb5_b.jpg

And young man flappage, together with the aerial and exhausts.

52527410886_86303161f8_b.jpg

Here’s a better pic of ze pipes.

52527958343_9fafa6fa62_b.jpg

Wing lights next!

52527886915_a5757eed38_b.jpg

And yes the spinner. 😍😍

She really did just pop together. A few glitches here and there but I guess we just deal with problems don’t we. It’s kind of our coping mechanism. 🤩

well the aerial wire needs fitting and the I think that’s it. In this last shot you can see the scratch rear mirror too. 🤩

52526946082_89c62af506_b.jpg

I’ll sign off on the next post and get this and Dewey’s RFI done. I have quite a bit of holiday left so there might be a bit of bench action over the festive period. 🎄🎅 I wonder what will tickle my fancy? 

Hope you all are still enjoying the build and having a splendid Sunday. Take care and as always.

Happy moddeling chums.

Johnny.

• Like 35

Aaaaaargh! 😱  😱

Good thing you managed to save that roundel! :clap:

Of course  had you painted that on, you'd have been a happy camper from the start, alas....

:D

Great save on the windshield too, and the weathering is up to your usual (high) standard :worthy:

Looking forward to the RFI :tasty:

Ciao 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great work Johnny, glad you managed to save the roundel and get the windscreen sorted too, you have done a fantastic job bringing the Trumpeter kit up to scratch with your 3D printed bits and have an  unusual looking machine in this scheme.

Great work 

Chris

• Thanks 1

That's a great result, Johnny! Nice saves on the screen and the decal. I'll look forward to the RFI, as well as seeing what's next on your bench :)

James

• Thanks 1

What a roller coaster of an update! More drama than an anniversary edition of East Enders. Looking fab, although I think seeing a classic FAA fighter in trainer colours fits my definition of “cognitive dissonance“!

Will check out the RFI.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

trainer colours

also prototype colours, and used on captured types.... 

17 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

fits my definition of “cognitive dissonance“!

109cap.jpg

109part2.jpg

from @FalkeEins blog

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2010/09/captured-luftwaffe-types-1.html 

Firefly looking very neat @The Spadgent

cheers

T

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow!! 😻  Great save on the decal and canopy!  Another beautiful build Johnny!  After seeing your work, I really need to look into using Flory wash.  Plus, you've inspired me to think about building a Firefly someday -- I really didn't know anything about the type until this build came along.

• Thanks 1