Bless my soul it’s a Fairey Firefly in 1/48 by Trumpeter

3 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

It’s fine. I just get jittery at times like this. I always. (Always) find out stuff after the fact. I’m just glad I don’t have to do it again. 🤩

Thankyou for the kind words too. 😀

Every day's a school day, and will enjoy seeing you applying your usual superb finish to one of my fave aircraft :worthy:

• Thanks 1

Great sequence of photo’s in the spray booth Johnny.  You’ve a well grooved technique that’s one to admire and to learn from.

I’m mulling-over a target tug Defiant as a next build and it’s probably worth me bookmarking these-here pages to copy how you did the scheme for when the time comes (although one had probably best leave it until this build is no longer in the public eye to protect oneself from unflattering comparison :D) [no jokes about how long it’ll take to finish the Hawks first anyway please :blush: - Johnny doesn’t need such thread drift :winkgrin:]

Oh, and obvs. a great perduesque save on the flaps.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Great progress here Johnny, on all fronts.

Steve's talk of target tugs, reminded me to dig out one of my Fireflies and check it out. A more unusual U Mk 8 drone, which sits comfortably in my current theme of Target Facilities aircraft. 

Screenshot 2022-02-22 at 18.26.43

Might actually start that later this year.

Meanwhile I am picking up many hints and tips from this build, not least your approach to painting.

Terry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 27/10/2022 at 11:25, Dunny said:

Every day's a school day, and will enjoy seeing you applying your usual superb finish to one of my fave aircraft :worthy:

Thankyou sir. Yes I learn so much from BM. 😇

On 27/10/2022 at 11:36, Quiet Mike said:

Good save on the tasty chew flap Johnny!

Thanks. Om nom. Tasty chew flap. 😝

On 27/10/2022 at 13:02, Fritag said:

Great sequence of photo’s in the spray booth Johnny.  You’ve a well grooved technique that’s one to admire and to learn from.

I’m mulling-over a target tug Defiant as a next build and it’s probably worth me bookmarking these-here pages to copy how you did the scheme for when the time comes (although one had probably best leave it until this build is no longer in the public eye to protect oneself from unflattering comparison :D) [no jokes about how long it’ll take to finish the Hawks first anyway please :blush: - Johnny doesn’t need such thread drift :winkgrin:]

Oh, and obvs. a great perduesque save on the flaps.

Thanks Steve for the kind words. I don’t think you have any fear of painting trouble as I’m totally aware of your work and it blumming fantastic! 🤩 btw did any one day ‘Awks? 🤔🕰️🤪

On 27/10/2022 at 19:39, Terry1954 said:

Great progress here Johnny, on all fronts.

Steve's talk of target tugs, reminded me to dig out one of my Fireflies and check it out. A more unusual U Mk 8 drone, which sits comfortably in my current theme of Target Facilities aircraft. 

Screenshot 2022-02-22 at 18.26.43

Might actually start that later this year.

Meanwhile I am picking up many hints and tips from this build, not least your approach to painting.

Terry

Oooh that’s a lovely one. Thanks for the kind words. 😇

On 27/10/2022 at 20:01, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good and great job on the replacement flap too

Chris

Thanks my man. 😉

On 28/10/2022 at 11:15, TheBaron said:

Whatever spell you say over the paint Johnny it's a good 'un. Magic colour work as always. :thumbsup2:

To kind Tony. But Thankyou. 

On 30/10/2022 at 02:15, opus999 said:

Terrific save with the flap, and I love how that custard turned out!  WOW!

Everyone likes custard. Especially me. I used to work at the custard factory don’t you know. 💛

On 30/10/2022 at 12:31, Shorty84 said:

Good save, nice to see she gets some colour now. You really make the best out of what Trumpeter gave us.

Cheers

Markus

Thanks Markus. That’s the plan, to dispel the myths and maybe show that some of the warts aren’t so bad. 😀

• Like 2

Blimey! Time flies when the spooks are out to play. 💀👻🎃

Not lots of modeling as we had to get ready for our Halloween party that went well even though not my daughter is 16 we had a 50/50 split of adults and teens.
A great time was had with few casualties, even though we kept the tradition of the chilli egg challenge. 🥚🔥

52473272488_0ce37c1646_b.jpg 52473272433_6208922d00_b.jpg 52473006699_13ba4a4268_b.jpg

The theme this year was dead Celebs!! 
See if you can guess some of them.

52472229947_269f7200ef_b.jpg 52473272508_9c404543a8_b.jpg 52472230402_8cc2952544_b.jpg 52473187520_6a7171d060_b.jpg

And me! 🤣

52473272978_a196106643_b.jpg

Any way enough of that. Let’s move onto the fly. 🪰

Masking begins with blu-tac and tape.

52473273008_8a78d9d60e_b.jpg

Then the green started going down. I’m mixing Tamiya with Mr colour thinners on @Fritag’s recommendation. Works a treat. 

52472230622_821c284d0e_b.jpg

A few coats later and I’m pretty much happy.

52473007244_2d45c4feab_b.jpg

Some nice tones. 

52472728186_5a2f41f905_b.jpg

So without further ado. That lot gets removed to reveal.

52472230372_e50cd341cf_b.jpg

yay! No cRaZy.

The bottom gets removed but I forgot to take pics. Apart from this one.

52473187800_bfce4f45d1_b.jpg

So now it’s time for top coat. Tamiya TS13.

Lovely. 😀

52473272973_1f8816bda7_b.jpg

And then time for………

52472728106_2e660967e5_b.jpg

Thanks to @bigbadbadge I got the right hue. I’m now hoping I got them in the right place. I lined them up to the photo ref rather than the call out sheet which seemed sensible. 

52473187315_0431503a84_b.jpg

The wing roundels did crack which gave me a small heart attack but they settled really well. (Phew)

so here’s a top.

52473272723_cd6e450212_b.jpg

And bottom.

52473272353_ce4971630e_b.jpg

Now I think she looks Triffick but I haven’t used any SOL type product until I get the all clear from you good folk.

So then does the placement look ok?

@Troy Smith 👀

Hopefully when answered I can micro sol to my hearts content and then get on with weathering and all the little bits and bobs. 

Thanks for dropping by and taking an interest in the fly🪰 

All comments welcome. Take care and as alway. Happy modelling.

Johnny. 

• Like 22

55 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

So then does the placement look ok?

The placement look good (I'd have hidden the Trumpy instructions though...)    but since you asked...

1.The underwing roundel are just C type, you don't need a yellow ring on a yellow underside....   if you can weather that you should be good.... otherwise just use  a 32 inch C type 

34 in the pic below

52311205169_ac369a125d_b.jpg

(Very very occasionally on non yellow undersides do you get a yellow ringed roundel,  but that not relevant at the mo.   ) 

2. Fin Flash.... looks like the Trumpy one.  As I said, perhaps not forcefully enough, the Trumpy markings are all basically garbage, wrong proportions, wrong colours.  In the pic above, decal 29 on the Trumpy sheet is I think the ONLY one of the bunch that is correct proportions, the central white strip looking to be the same as the C and C1 type roundels decals 33 and 34 on the correct sheet, that is in real life 2 inch wide white strip or ring

Which is a standard post May 1942 C type fin flash,  Dark Blue, Brick Red, same  colour as wing roundels.   

Standard fin flash, as seen in on Spitfires, Hurricanes, Typhoons ...basically any fighter type, it was even used on USAAF types in North Africa and Italy as theatre marking... 

24 inch high, 24 inch wide,  with red band 11 inch wide, white 2 inch, blue 11 inch.    

Paint job looks great though.

HTH 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

The placement look good (I'd have hidden the Trumpy instructions though...)    but since you asked...

1.The underwing roundel are just C type, you don't need a yellow ring on a yellow underside....   if you can weather that you should be good.... otherwise just use  a 32 inch C type 

34 in the pic below

52311205169_ac369a125d_b.jpg

(Very very occasionally on non yellow undersides do you get a yellow ringed roundel,  but that not relevant at the mo.   ) 

2. Fin Flash.... looks like the Trumpy one.  As I said, perhaps not forcefully enough, the Trumpy markings are all basically garbage, wrong proportions, wrong colours.  In the pic above, decal 29 on the Trumpy sheet is I think the ONLY one of the bunch that is correct proportions, the central white strip looking to be the same as the C and C1 type roundels decals 33 and 34 on the correct sheet, that is in real life 2 inch wide white strip or ring

Which is a standard post May 1942 C type fin flash,  Dark Blue, Brick Red, same  colour as wing roundels.   

Standard fin flash, as seen in on Spitfires, Hurricanes, Typhoons ...basically any fighter type, it was even used on USAAF types in North Africa and Italy as theatre marking... 

24 inch high, 24 inch wide,  with red band 11 inch wide, white 2 inch, blue 11 inch.    

Paint job looks great though.

HTH 

Thanks Troy as always. The fin flash is the trump one but I cut off the red and used a bit off another decal. That was the only one that looked to be the correct shape. All the others looked too small.  There is a glimmer of the bright red at the top but that’s covered now. I don’t really have any others that suit.   So you think it’s ok? I don’t wanna go next step as I always get the. “Oh by the way” message just after I commit. 🤣

Johnny

• Like 1

Hi Johnny

Some cracking costumes and makeup for the party, the Chilli challenge sounds fun too.  

Thanks for the mention, glad the decals were of use. If I recall mine also cracked a bit too.

The Firefly looks great , paint is fantastic and the decals are looking good.  I can't believe how bright those Trumpeter decals are, wow.  

Great work 

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Johnny

Some cracking costumes and makeup for the party, the Chilli challenge sounds fun too.  

Thanks for the mention, glad the decals were of use. If I recall mine also cracked a bit too.

The Firefly looks great , paint is fantastic and the decals are looking good.  I can't believe how bright those Trumpeter decals are, wow.  

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris.  The Brightness is bonkers I couldn’t see it at first but what a difference your set has made. I’ve stripped the tail one off now even though I amended it.  The white was too fat. Im fashioning more from half your decal and some red bits of what I had spare. 🤞

56 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

Zombie Kurt 🤘

Colours looking great 👍

Ha. You got me. 😀  Thanks for the compliment. 🤩

• Like 1

On 03/11/2022 at 08:50, giemme said:

Great masking and painting, Johnny! :worthy:

And yes, I'm referring to both Halloween and the model.... :rofl:  :rofl: 

Ciao

Thanks G. She’s on a go slow at the moment.  Video games have taken a front seat. 🙀

On 03/11/2022 at 22:05, Fritag said:

Nice touch with both the make up and the airbrush, Johnny.  A multi-media artist ;)

Thanks Steve. Too kind. 😀

• Like 1

Evening.

The fly has been on a bit of a go slow over the past week. A little done so I’ll post up hoping to get some momentum in the old girl.

I  managed to peel the under wing roundels and save for another day. I replaced them with non yellow boarder.

52485265250_71044eca8e_b.jpg

The wing ones I wasn’t happy with as the cracks came through quite a bit and the microsol kind of melted the colour? I replace them too.

I also took of the Trumpy tail flash and made a new one. ❤️

52485351133_83869fcdd4_b.jpg

Here’s where she stands at the mo.

52485076164_cacbe9714d_b.jpg

Pretty big no. 😀

The printed bits need clipping , painting and fitting. 

52484309862_767d15069c_b.jpg

I also started on the legs.

52484805276_6a55548547_b.jpg

Once again apologies for the light work. I’ll get some love back soon. 😇

All the best and as always.

Happy modelling.

Johnny. 

• Like 24