Bless my soul it’s a Fairey Firefly in 1/48 by Trumpeter

On 25/08/2022 at 21:52, Troy Smith said:

Upperwings B types DO vary in size.   I'd have to look up what the Firefly size is

for @The Spadgent  while looking for something else,  looked at the Modeldecal guide for decals,  Firefly upperwing is 50 inch (48 inch in 1/48 is 1 inch, 50 inch is 1 inch and 1/24th inch,  25.4mm= 1 inch, so about 26.5 mm but it's one of the few times when plain imperial is just easier)

50 inch was also used on Typhoon, Tempest and Albacore, and 49 inch is Hurricane (and a 48th of an inch is about 0.5mm)  but you might just want to nab the decals @bigbadbadge offered as they are probably the right size.  

Build looking good,  the printed side walls are neat.  

cheers

T

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What is not to like about ta Firefly. I remember both the Airfix and Frog kit and maybe built a few of each. I've never though of building in the gentleman's scale but maybe now...

Neat work on the printed parts.

Colin

Isn’t the gentleman’s scale 1/72. I’m I confusing myself? 

It is indeed, however, I recently saw somewhere that 1/48th is the Kings Scale (although, I could have been totally confused which at times is easily achieved!)

Colin

• Like 3

19 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, that interior looks incredible!!!  I think you are right about printed parts versus resin.  The Flory wash really kicks this up a notch too—you got me hooked on this stuff—thank you😎  Best, Erwin 

You’re more than welcome and thanks. 😀

15 hours ago, giemme said:

Top job on the interiors,  Johnny! And some clever old style surgery going on ,too! :clap: :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks G. No Modelling tonight, just having a nice rest and a glass of wine. 👌

8 hours ago, 81-er said:

The interior's really looking good, and now we get to see serious kit-butchery/corrections. Excellent!

James

Thanks. Fingers crossed the slicing and dicing goes well. 😃

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

for @The Spadgent  while looking for something else,  looked at the Modeldecal guide for decals,  Firefly upperwing is 50 inch (48 inch in 1/48 is 1 inch, 50 inch is 1 inch and 1/24th inch,  25.4mm= 1 inch, so about 26.5 mm but it's one of the few times when plain imperial is just easier)

50 inch was also used on Typhoon, Tempest and Albacore, and 49 inch is Hurricane (and a 48th of an inch is about 0.5mm)  but you might just want to nab the decals @bigbadbadge offered as they are probably the right size.  

Build looking good,  the printed side walls are neat.  

cheers

T

Thanks @Troy Smith you’rea Gent. Maybe I should take @bigbadbadge up on his off. Ok @bigbadbadge if I send my address could you send them along if you still have them please? 😃

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

What is not to like about ta Firefly. I remember both the Airfix and Frog kit and maybe built a few of each. I've never though of building in the gentleman's scale but maybe now...

Neat work on the printed parts.

Colin

Isn’t the gentleman’s scale 1/72. I’m I confusing myself? 

It is indeed, however, I recently saw somewhere that 1/48th is the Kings Scale (although, I could have been totally confused which at times is easily achieved!)

Colin

Oooh the kings scale. I wonder what 1/24 is. 🤩

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks @Troy Smith you’rea Gent. Maybe I should take @bigbadbadge up on his off. Ok @bigbadbadge if I send my address could you send them along if you still have them please

Hi Johnny

Yes, no worries,  let me have your address and I'll pop them in the post. 

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/09/2022 at 22:54, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Johnny

Yes, no worries,  let me have your address and I'll pop them in the post. 

Chris

Thanks Chris. You’rea star. 🤩

On 13/09/2022 at 01:35, AdrianMF said:

I thought 1/48 was the province of rebels and rascals…

In this case however, I will let you off and pretend it’s a genteel scale - just keep those rulers hidden!

Regards,

Adrian

Oh my gosh, what does that make 1/32 or heavens forbid. 1/24.   Saying that I might have accidentally purchased this as a bit of a project over Christmas. 🤩 1/10 no less. 

52342037939_e88154162b_b.jpg

all rulers hidden. 😍

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Morning.

Sorry for the lack of updates, work and life has ramped it up a notch. On a positive I have logs for the winter.

52363843205_bed57f4afd_b.jpg

And Chris. @bigbadbadge has sent me a little gift in the post.

52363651283_aa17e3f404_b.jpg

The generosity of the folks on BM knows no bounds. 😍 looks like I’ll get the decal part of this correct even if my ham fists make a mess of the rest.🤪

thanks Chris you’re a True Gent.

I’ll continue some work over there later Part of the weekend.  Thanks for sticking with it.

Jont.

• Like 15

Great job Spad !!

Wheel wells surgery is quite fine too....

I do the same on the old Corsairs kit !!

I really love the internals.... That 3D printing.....Amazing !!!

As I already told it BM is the best model club !!

Autumn you say ?? 6°C yesterday in the morning....

Sincerely !!

CC

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 17/09/2022 at 08:52, Fritag said:

Another top-notch project Johnny.  Love the cockpit improvements; great demo of what 3D printing can add to the process.  Plus the usual Spad practically perfect painting.

Too kind Steve. But Thankyou. 😇

On 17/09/2022 at 10:57, bigbadbadge said:

No worries Johnny, happy to be able to help fella, like the Tamiya RC car, looks like a VW Rail and you will have a lot of fun with that. 

Chris

I will indeed. The wild Willy went well so I’m getting a few hop up options for this speedy number. The frog was another classic that was out of reach as a kid.

21 hours ago, wellsprop said:

I'm enjoying watching this build progress :)

Glad to hear it. More your way commeth.

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Great job Spad !!

Wheel wells surgery is quite fine too....

I do the same on the old Corsairs kit !!

I really love the internals.... That 3D printing.....Amazing !!!

As I already told it BM is the best model club !!

Autumn you say ?? 6°C yesterday in the morning....

Sincerely !!

CC

Thanks Alain. I do hope the wells are headed in the right direction. More CrAzY than I first thought. 6 degrees. ! 😳 Frosty. 😨

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon Brit modellers. 
out last night at a good friends fiftieth birthday get together in Birmingham.

I got to meet him at last!

52365678597_a0d9c25f1c_b.jpg

Stunning bit of construction. Along with the “ Poli Nations” festival we got a real treat.

52367042265_e438becd97_b.jpg

Not too much wine do an early start saw some progress before dinner got prepped.

The offices need to start coming together if the fuselage is to be closed. So seat and pad in place.

52365678252_ee3b6db976_b.jpg

then the printed walls.

52366615896_d0d5953a39_b.jpg

then the compass got added.

52366930029_5e64a1ebb7_b.jpg

a dry fit and all is good with the new printed parts.

52367041790_baa3f9e141_b.jpg

Makeshift belts and cutting bits off the IP and Control column was needed too.

52366842903_b90207b312_b.jpg

For those that may wish to tackle this model please watch out for the tight fit of the bits. Especially if you have painted first. A test dry fit shows that the rear office just won’t fit if not 100% in place.

You can see the rear section not fitting the lip. 😬

52365678267_c76987c98f_b.jpg

A strip down and a fettle with the connecting pins / holes for the blighter into place.

52366842883_69c8ac3421_b.jpg

I don’t know what it is but after @hendie‘s build this morning I’m seeing robots all over the gaff.🤣🤖

52365677722_8b4f19983b_b.jpg

The front of the fuselage was painted black just in case.

52366843738_dfbbe2ab0a_b.jpg

Now. Here another thing if you’re going to make this.  PUT THE REAR SEAT IN FIRST! 😩

That was a nightmare to get in place, but eventually we got there.

52366929374_56893df678_b.jpg

Got some spare part belts fitted too.

52366843683_24f2c5b551_b.jpg

And a few details inside. I think that’ll do. 😍

52365678562_9ee8dd6ae7_b.jpg

The main belts got a wash before getting fitted.

52366843698_57d49a65b3_b.jpg

No pegs were harmed during the next procedure.

52366843728_0f854252b1_b.jpg

While that dried I got the knives out.

52366616746_80b2c5c78d_b.jpg

It was all going so well! (Gerrit) sorry. 🥸

52366843403_d55d0847f6_b.jpg

the wings have their slopes so it wasn’t as easy as I first thought.

We have quite the gap.

52367042315_31e309ebba_b.jpg

I had a bit of a think and set the wells in place then kind of shimmed the gaps until I couldn’t see daylight.  Drilled out detail  holes too.

52366843393_cd3ed2a3d8_b.jpg

So the next steps are to add back the Rib detail. But that’s for tomorrow. I’ll spend my respectful Bank holiday quietly modelling and listening to the radio. 😔

Any hoo. Sunday dinner won’t cook itself.

Thanks for dropping by and I hope you’re all having a lovely weekend. 

Happy modelling .

Johnny.

• Like 26

40 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

52365678597_a0d9c25f1c_b.jpg

Stunning bit of construction. Along with the “ Poli Nations” festival we got a real treat.

Johnny.

That there's  a lot of Bull  Johnny, Don't think I'd want to be stuck in the paddock with him around. If I do say so myself, and I do say so myself.:coolio: Love the progress so far on the firefly. Many notes have been taken in preparation of when if I ever get the chance to get to mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wow Johnny. That was a bit of an update.  Lots of construction and sticking bits together going on - great to see.

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

No pegs were harmed during the next procedure.

Just as well. I don't think you'd have liked the outcome...

shaun-of-the-dead-simon-pegg.jpg

• Haha 9

Stunning work on the cockpit areas they have really come to life with paint and your great attention to the smallest detail!

Wheel wells are coming together nicely as well

Stay safe          Roger

• Thanks 1

Hi Johnny,

The cockpit details look great, cracking 3D print work fella, if it's not to late, has the port side has been transposed to the stbd side as the Flares are usually down by the seat end on the stb side.  I hope you don't think bad of me for pointing out .

Great work 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

That there's  a lot of Bull  Johnny, Don't think I'd want to be stuck in the paddock with him around. If I do say so myself, and I do say so myself.:coolio: Love the progress so far on the firefly. Many notes have been taken in preparation of when if I ever get the chance to get to mine.

Thanks. One not to remember. The cockpit walls are the other way around. 🤪

19 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Seems you had a great weekend!

Lovely progress, the 3D printed parts are really pushing the cockpit to another level. Can't wait what you do with the wheel wells.

Cheers

Markus

Thanks. I’m really happy with the way they turned out. 😇

18 hours ago, hendie said:

wow Johnny. That was a bit of an update.  Lots of construction and sticking bits together going on - great to see.

Just as well. I don't think you'd have liked the outcome...

shaun-of-the-dead-simon-pegg.jpg

To the Winchester. 😍🧟‍♂️

18 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Fantastic update Johnny.

This one does it for me............

Really great looking interior.

Terry

Thanks Terry.

18 hours ago, giemme said:

Indeed! Magnificent job on the interiors,  and top class surgery on the wheel wells! :worthy:  :clap: :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks G. Those wells have been a pain I’ll tell you that for nothing. 🫣

17 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Master surgeon Spad !!

A name that fit well with your really fine job on the wheel wells !!

Congratulations my friend !!

sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC I think I jumped the gun on the wells.

7 hours ago, Hamden said:

Stunning work on the cockpit areas they have really come to life with paint and your great attention to the smallest detail!

Wheel wells are coming together nicely as well

Stay safe          Roger

Thanks Roger. 🤗

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Johnny,

The cockpit details look great, cracking 3D print work fella, if it's not to late, has the port side has been transposed to the stbd side as the Flares are usually down by the seat end on the stb side.  I hope you don't think bad of me for pointing out .

Great work 

Chris

Point away. Alas she’s all buttoned up so there’s no way I’m ripping it all apart now so it’ll be our little secret. 🤫😬

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

Cracking work on the interior Johnny - I do recall it was a bit of a pig to wrestle together,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks. Isn’t it just. 😦

• Like 3