Bless my soul it’s a Fairey Firefly in 1/48 by Trumpeter

Bless my soul it’s a Fairey Firefly in 1/48

by Trumpeter

Hello and welcome to my next aeroplane build. This kit Was sat at Ian Allen in Birmingham city Center since it’s release in 2018. Collecting dust. She was just out of reach price wise but When the 75% off closing down sale occurred I snapped it up along with a few other choice kits. ( Double edged sword of joy and sadness. 😃😔 I was excited to have it and looked forward to making her. As she wriggled her way to the top of the stash I began to look for builds on line. Lots of “special hobby” Fireflys but no Trumpeter. Then I start reading the reviews. 🤦‍♂️ It seems there is a lot of hate for this kit. The more I read the more disappointed I got. The more disappointed I got the more I read and the more I looked at the kit. She looks like a firefly, smells like a firefly, heck it even has firefly written on the box. I was well on the side of the under Dog. Yes there seem to be some issues and I’m not looking to build this under the eye of Sauron or anyone for that matter. I’m just here to have a good time. 🤘The issues that are most relevant to me I think I can fix with some old school modelling work / 3D printing and a rather lovely big dollop of enthusiasm. I’ve opened the box now so there’s no going back. 🫣🫠😜

Join me if you will in another adventure, I’d be glad for the support. 😍

Pawing through the various bashings this poor kit has had I have picked out a few things I’ll definitely be fixing along the way. And probably more as the build unfolds. 

They are:

A new tail rudder. Cloth instead of metal.

New wheels. Deeper and more details

New wheel wells. Squared and detailed.

Detailed cockpit. Just a little more.

Nose vent things. You know if you know.

Cockpit mirror. Yeah that. 🪩🪞

That’ll do for starters. I’m confident I’ll get a lovely looking firefly at the end of this but one can never tell. I might just spoon it. 😱

Regardless if you’ve ever wanted to build this or ever wondered who on earth would then now’s  your chance. Tag along and watch what happens after I open the box. 

Welcome friends.

Johnny.

• Like 28

Ok so intro done and Zero snuggled under the trusty work bench.

52306624868_1af2a86495_b.jpg

It’s Time for some pics. 😍

The quite frankly lovely box art.

52305439727_0da3ae99ba_b.jpg

sprue shots. 

52306625133_e9c4dbeee1_b.jpg

52305439722_b2996709fc_b.jpg

Clear parts look good.

52306692390_dcf44e1f85_b.jpg

The instructions look rather basic I must admit, but that’s ok.

52305439657_73dfb74bc2_b.jpg

There are some nice colour call outs to have.

52305439397_0a8ea97c3a_b.jpg 52305439672_5340260b7d_b.jpg

Decals look good and there’s a PE fret too.

52306679049_0c77ee4206_b.jpg

I also invested in this.

52306162531_d098a02c78_b.jpg

😍😍😍

Right then let’s begin! 🤤

cockpit it is then. 
The bits look good and no flash to speak of. They dry fit rather nicely. I can possibly add some pedals and maybe some boxes levers and wires but it’s rather cramped in there.

52306692645_87a74cfd0c_b.jpg

With the ip in place and the other side on you can see how much you really can’t see. 

52306679019_97a8edbc06_b.jpg

I Think a little detailing here and there and we will be good to go.

52306162466_6aa26b7e9a_b.jpg

Belts. I must make belts. 🤩

That’s it for now. I just wanted to set this one going. Looking forward to more of this. 

Happy modelling chums.

Johnny. 🥸🤩

• Like 29

Hi Johnny

Not seen the Trumpeter kit built yet,  will be interesting to see how it builds up. I built the Grand Pheonix kit ( I think it is the AZ model kit) which was very nice for a limited run model.   I did Loose Elastic/277 which is a cracking scheme.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see this one given some love.

I picked one up cheap at the Scottish Nationals this year and when i get round to it it will be just OOB.

Looking forward to see how you get on with this.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many years ago I built two the Flightpath resin Firefly and had a soft spot for them ever since.  One of those was for the pilot of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum’s Firefly, and while I didn’t get a flight (I asked) I did get a lot of access to it, even out on the ramp on flight days.  It was great to see it start and fly back then.

Anyway, all that to say I’m following with interest!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll be keeping an eye on this too, I've long had affection for the Firefly having built the Airfix kit as a youngster & then converted it to a (sort of) Mk I a bit later on. It'll be nice to see how it should've looked. :)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll follow along too if I may, got to love a Firefly build!

Beer and popcorn ordered so please carry on

Stay safe         Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Johnny

Not seen the Trumpeter kit built yet,  will be interesting to see how it builds up. I built the Grand Pheonix kit ( I think it is the AZ model kit) which was very nice for a limited run model.   I did Loose Elastic/277 which is a cracking scheme.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Chris

I do love those names. I think this one comes with “ Lucy Quipment” I was thinking of doing that one but we will see.

The AZ kit looked to have a very nice set of resin parts. Especially the cockpit. I’ll need to up my game a bit in that department if it’s to look anywhere near. Great to have you on board. 😀

10 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Nice to see this one given some love.

I picked one up cheap at the Scottish Nationals this year and when i get round to it it will be just OOB.

Looking forward to see how you get on with this.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair. Welcome. 😇 I’m sure it’ll be Firefly looking in the end. 😀

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

As you say, looks like a Firefly! Chair pulled up…

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. Glad to have you around. 😀

9 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Oo luvly, nice intro, nice aeroplane, nice schemes, nice dog, nice.

Andy

😀😀😀😀😀 welcome. Enjoy the ride. 🤩

9 hours ago, mark.au said:

Many years ago I built two the Flightpath resin Firefly and had a soft spot for them ever since.  One of those was for the pilot of the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum’s Firefly, and while I didn’t get a flight (I asked) I did get a lot of access to it, even out on the ramp on flight days.  It was great to see it start and fly back then.

Anyway, all that to say I’m following with interest!

Oooh lovely story. I but it was a noisy beast. 😯

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'll be keeping an eye on this too, I've long had affection for the Firefly having built the Airfix kit as a youngster & then converted it to a (sort of) Mk I a bit later on. It'll be nice to see how it should've looked. :)

Steve.

I’m sure your one looked fantastic! Nothing like a kit you built as a kid. 🤩🤩

2 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Ah dear ol' Trumpeter.

Wonderfully engineered kits, but so inaccurate. Every single flaming one!

To be fair all kits are inaccurate to some extent. Let’s see if we can make this one look good and have some fun along the way. Welcome. ☺️

1 hour ago, Jb65rams said:

Will be watching with interest as I have always wanted to build a Firefly.

I think you need to add elevators to you list of corrections, I believe that as modelled they are the wrong shape.

Oooh thanks for the heads up on the elevators. I will check my references.  Welcome aboard. 😇

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

I'll follow along too if I may, got to love a Firefly build!

Beer and popcorn ordered so please carry on

Stay safe         Roger

Welcome Roger. Fun times ahead. 😃😃😃

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I do love those names. I think this one comes with “ Lucy Quipment” I was thinking of doing that one but we will see.

The AZ kit looked to have a very nice set of resin parts. Especially the cockpit. I’ll need to up my game a bit in that department if it’s to look anywhere near. Great to have you on board.

Hi Johnny

Yes sorry, that was the one Lucy Quipment, not Lucy lastic, I don't know what I was thinking there😄.

It was a cracking kit and the resin cockpits are very detailed indeed.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Johnny,

Good luck with this one! I did a 1:48 Special Hobby Mk.I a while back, but have never seen the Trumpeter version built. Look forward to seeing what you can make of it,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Every single flaming one!

Excepting the 1/72 Wyvern as far as I'm aware. It has generally pulled good reviews over the years, or at least less negative than most of the rest. :) 

Steve.

• Like 4

This looks like fun. You had me at "inaccurate"!

Speaking of which, that control column looks awfully high...about chin level judging by the headrest behind the seat. 

It would also foul the gunsight!

But I could be wrong.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Johnny

Yes sorry, that was the one Lucy Quipment, not Lucy lastic, I don't know what I was thinking there😄.

It was a cracking kit and the resin cockpits are very detailed indeed.

Chris

I had a goosie you did do a splendid job. If this one looks half that good I’ll be happy. 😇

11 hours ago, perdu said:

Yep, that's me in the corner.

Just nosing in on occasion, maybe give the doggy a stroke whilst you get all conflustered with the polystyrene.

;) 

Hey Bill. Welcome. I can always do with a helpful hand. And yours is usually the most helpful of all. 😇

11 hours ago, Dunny said:

Johnny,

Good luck with this one! I did a 1:48 Special Hobby Mk.I a while back, but have never seen the Trumpeter version built. Look forward to seeing what you can make of it,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger. I’ll have to dig out your threads to get some tips. 🙌 welcome! 🤩

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Excepting the 1/72 Wyvern as far as I'm aware. It has generally pulled good reviews over the years, or at least less negative than most of the rest. :) 

Steve.

Well there you go. 😍

7 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Looks interesting and FAA, I'll tag along...

Colin

Join the party. Beers are at the back. 🙌👏🙌

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

This looks like fun. You had me at "inaccurate"!

Speaking of which, that control column looks awfully high...about chin level judging by the headrest behind the seat. 

It would also foul the gunsight!

But I could be wrong.

Ian

Glad to have you around. Yeah I thought that too. It’s only a dry fit but I think I’ll chop it down after looking at some references. 🤩

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see you all popping in to see this one getting built. I did a few checks this afternoon with what was mentioned.

This to be precise. 

14 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

I think you need to add elevators to you list of corrections, I believe that as modelled they are the wrong shape.

Checking my book the elevators are thus.

52307732797_240cd4a57a_b.jpg

so looking at the kit it is actually the right shape just cut in the wrong place. If you have them straight they would be fine but I’m not going to so.

52308968069_90a92f0f6b_b.jpg

After glueing I’ll cut those end bits off where I have marked and stick them on to the elevators. Job done. 🤩

Next up the rear cockpit. 

52308982475_caf5be63f4_b.jpg

that’s not as bare as the front one but could still do with a few greeblies. 
when closed up you really can’t see much anyhoo.

52308921468_031fa71f5a_b.jpg

I have noticed that some kits have loads of boxes at the rear of this cockpit area.

This one has not that many.

52308457646_0d97c96671_b.jpg

Easy fix but then I found this.

52308982650_3410c98583_b.jpg

So what the what? Are we thinking some equipment has been removed? 

either way Time to boot up the computer and get the resin out. I have some cockpit details, a compass or two and some seat pads to print. 😍

Thanks for popping in and all feedback or help Welcome.

Johnny

• Like 16

There isn't very much in the rear cockpit in a FR.1, they didn't start filling up until the AS and radar versions.

As for the front office, there's inaccurate and then there's looks like it came from another aeroplane

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, NAVY870 said:

There isn't very much in the rear cockpit in a FR.1, they didn't start filling up until the AS and radar versions.

As for the front office, there's inaccurate and then there's looks like it came from another aeroplane

Thanks for the input on the rear cockpit. 

I do respect your views on such things. What are the biggest issues you can see

for the front office?  Obvs my untrained eye it looks ok just lacking some detail. 

any help would be much appreciated.

Johnny

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Wonderfully engineered kits, but so inaccurate. Every single flaming one!

1/24th Hurricane.  Stunning shapewise.   Never understood why they didn't  scale it down to 32nd, 48th 72nd...  Only main complaint, recessed rivets.

But the trail of shame is long otherwise.

sad but true, back in 2010, a trumpeter employee, Song, joined, and posted a thread on their forthcoming Spitfeful/Seafang with CAD shots, 7 page thread, lost of help and critique offered for free.  None take on board. 

see here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55621-spiteful-seafang-master/

I think Song ended up with Kittyhawk.   

On 23/08/2022 at 20:11, The Spadgent said:

Decals look good and there’s a PE fret too.

I also invested in this.

52306679049_0c77ee4206_b.jpg

The decals are hilariously bad, all the roundels are wrong proportions and the red is wrong for most of them. 

compare

Fairey_Firefly_FR.1_Z2030_Ringway_04.46_

52305439397_0a8ea97c3a_b.jpg

277, note the too small roundels, and the 2 is wrong at least...

Firefly277+with+solid+head+rockets.jpg

Just using the right roundels will really help the appearance of the finished model.  

They are reputed to build well.   

HTH and enjoy the build

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1