19th Century Cargo ships - help needed please *new request*

Ray S

Hello all!

I am currently trying to build the Knight Templar, a ship from the 1870's, and need to make three winches for it. This is the sum total of the information I have for them, in the form of this plan, where two are shown either side of the foremast:

DSCN9032

I cannot conjure up a 3-D image of what they would look like so can anyone help me out please? I have tried looking up 'ship's winches' (be careful how you spell that!), '19th Century Cargo Winches' and variations thereof, but no luck. I have three books of old trading vessels which have some equipment illustrations but not of this, and would like to find something reasonably close. I had made three winches but they turned out too small and totally wrong.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Edited Title

@Courageous, thank you for those links. The first one seems very similar to the ones I need to make, it is a very great help. I think it will be fun breaking it down into components that are easily duplicate-able! I only need to give an impression in 1/300 scale.

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1

• Ray S changed the title to 19th Century Cargo ships - help needed please new request

Firstly, can I say a belated THANK YOU for all the help with the winches earlier. I was able to cog something up and made three of them looking reasonably similar to each other.

The next problem I have is concerning the ship'd boats. The plan shows this:

DSCN9121

I have made up the davits, but it looks like there are extra supports under the ship's boat - am I reading the plan correctly on this? I am happy to just suspend the boat from the davits, but would prefer to have the supports there if they were on the original vessel (Knight Templar 1871). If there were supports, do you think they would have been shaped to fit the hull, ie two vertical supports with a contoured top?

Thanks for reading this, any help would be appreciated.

Ray

• Ray S changed the title to 19th Century Cargo ships - help needed please *new request*
20 hours ago, Ray S said:

Firstly, can I say a belated THANK YOU for all the help with the winches earlier. I was able to cog something up and made three of them looking reasonably similar to each other.

The next problem I have is concerning the ship'd boats. The plan shows this:

I have made up the davits, but it looks like there are extra supports under the ship's boat - am I reading the plan correctly on this? I am happy to just suspend the boat from the davits, but would prefer to have the supports there if they were on the original vessel (Knight Templar 1871). If there were supports, do you think they would have been shaped to fit the hull, ie two vertical supports with a contoured top?

Thanks for reading this, any help would be appreciated.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Yes you're correct. Boats would sit on a cradle. Most of the photos I've seen show them to be solid wood. Here's a good photo of Lusitania's boats on their cradles. https://www.titanic-titanic.com/titanics-lifeboats/

It's worth noting that by the early 20th century it was a Board of Trade requirement for ships at sea to have an "emergency cutter" hung from davits and swung out for lowering at all times. Not sure when that rule was introduced though.

Will

Edited by Killingholme