Early American Car Model Magazines.

TonyW

A catch all thread title, brought about by a recent job lot of Model Car Science magazines that have just turned up here.

There are other titles out there, that could also find a home here with luck.

Here's what prompted the thread...

IMG-4077.jpg

IMG-4078.jpg

Fifty six copies, spread from the first issue in April '63 to June '72. There's about half the released magazines here.

A job lot auction from that well known site. The price per copy was very reasonable. The total hurt a bit however. When would I ever get the chance at a lot like this again though?

The magazine was aimed at 10 to 15 year old kids and it hit the ground running in '63. First year sales averaged over 30,000 a month, dropping to 18,000 by '72. At 35c a copy it was the same price as Rod and Custom.

The magazine covered model building and slot cars in the main. No colour pages inside, B+W only for the full run.

I'm only just getting to grips with the contents and first impressions are good. The adverts and new kit reviews are worth the price of admision on their own. I'll add stuff here as I find it.

There's a first class US Car and Model magazine site that goes into a lot of detail on the subject. I've lost quite a few hours browsing around. Here's a link...

http://99wspeedshop.com.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/modelcarscience.html

Tony.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cool. Bet there’s some great content there.

I seem to recall reading once (Chis Ellis’ books?) that US plastic modelling was hugely driven (pun intended) by car models, rather than by recreating WW2 as seems the main influence back in the day in Blighty. From here It seems like virtually every normal, not just sports, cars were available on an annually updated basis (ok I know that’s a slight exaggeration and I know the dealer promos made a large influence) whereas we had the rather tragic selection perpetrated by Airfix!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Sounds like fun. I used to get the odd copy of Rod and Custom. 

My favourite US Car mag, with Car Craft, then Superstock and Drag as runners up. A very close race though.

Reading through old copies is like looking way back into another world now.

• Like 2

That's quite a haul.  😮   There was a website that had scans of a number of '60s car model magazines, but it seems to have disappeared.  I have boxes of HRM, PHR and others, but only one vintage model magazine, which I acquired at the same time as this AMT '59 Buick.

59buick1-vi.jpg

• Like 2

Flicking through a few of the early issues has been a joy.

A big surprise was finding an article on building the Pierson Brothers coupe in the first issue! They recommend using parts from Monograms '34 coupe, Black Widow and Midget Racer kits to build the model. An expensive idea these days.

IMG-4079.jpg

Monograms Big Deuce got a nice review in the November '63 issue, just in time for Xmas. It was on the cover, as shown above, here's the inside article...

IMG-4080.jpg

Each issue that I've gone through so far contains details of a few full size cars and leads as to how to make models of them. 

IMG-4081.jpg

• Like 4

Oh wow... seeing these again almost reduced me to tears.  I used to buy Car Model mags from a (then) local newsagent (Heaven knows where he got them from!) and devoured them avidly when I was a youngster back in the '60s.  I learned a huge amount about building and customising car models from them and remember those years, those mags and those models with great fondness.  I lost count of the number of custom builds I carried out with the aid of CM mags and mourn the loss of the custom car scene as it was then, both 1:24 and 1:1 scales.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, malpaso said:

The 32 in the “ Cool Coupe” may well be the one on the cover of Beach Boys 32 Deuce Coupe album!

It is indeed that very car. It also made the July '61 cover of Hot Rod magazine

1 hour ago, Neddy said:

Oh wow... seeing these again almost reduced me to tears.  I used to buy Car Model mags from a (then) local newsagent (Heaven knows where he got them from!) and devoured them avidly when I was a youngster back in the '60s.  I learned a huge amount about building and customising car models from them and remember those years, those mags and those models with great fondness.  I lost count of the number of custom builds I carried out with the aid of CM mags and mourn the loss of the custom car scene as it was then, both 1:24 and 1:1 scales.

You big softy! I fully understand though, the magazines cover a period like no other for a US car modeller. Things are more retro slanted  now, with most builders looking back with fond memories and vastly improved building skills and materials. Back then it was all brand new and unexplored territory.

Every issue had something to get exited about as a nipper. I'm about to become a pensioner` and they still have the same effect on me to this day. I'm looking at them with a different perspective now, seeing the creativness of young minds at work in some incredible and sometimes bizzare ways.

I'll top the thread up with related stuff as I uncover it.

Tony.

• Like 2

Hi Tony,

In my youth, (even more years back!) American cars weren't always appreciated and due to a much lower disposable income, the hot rod scene never really took off here.

The kits (at least over here) were quite expensive but in the States were about a third of the UK price, hence the amount of cross-kitting. It was so profitable for the American model companies that some hot rods were actually commissioned by the model makers themselves. Somehow, I don't see that happening today.

Dave

• Like 1

The Model Car Builders Museum in Sandy Utah USA has a wealth of old magazines that they have brought together along with many models on display etc.

It is a history of the hobby in one building, and they are always looking for stuff to fill gaps in their collections.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 5:14 PM, Six97s said:

That's quite a haul.  😮   There was a website that had scans of a number of '60s car model magazines, but it seems to have disappeared.  I have boxes of HRM, PHR and others, but only one vintage model magazine, which I acquired at the same time as this AMT '59 Buick.

59buick1-vi.jpg

Dave Shuklis was one of my boyhood heros!

The Dave Shuklis collection of models used to be on display at Auto World, Scranton, PA.

Modellers of a certain age might remember the annual Auto World Model Kit Catalogue!

The Shuklis collection was acquired by the Model Car Builders Museum who had them renovated for display by a number of enthusiast modellers.

Look at the link in Tony's post for much more information.

Would be nice if the museum scanned their old magazine collections as an internet resource.

Edited by Noel Smith