The Clock counts down to (Academy’s 1/72) ZERO - Finished!

gregg136

Afternoon everyone.

I’m not one for posting WIP’s or RFI’s on here as I don’t build very often (In fact it’s mainly July and August when I get time) with other things taking up any free time and there’s never a guarantee I’ll finish something or it be good enough to share. However my confidence got a slight boost when Airfix put my K2Y up on their social media pages so I figured what the hell. Let’s get one done on here for a change. 

I’ve had a little Academy A6M5c Zero in the cupboard for a few years and having just built the first of the Eduard “Tora Tora Tora” set, and having a bit of a Pacific War thing going on this summer, now is as good a time as any to do this. 

Box art

Sprue shot

As you can see there’s not  massive amount to do and as this will be strictly OOB It’s easily doable within the timeframe. The plan is to start one morning and just work through. I brush paint everything (The big scale stuff is F.U.N) so the plan is to use AK’s 3rd Generation IJN Paint set.

F8746CC1-55BC-4D84-9B51-FD123B0EB05F

I’m slowly swapping out all my old Tamiya acrylics with AK’s as they’re just beautiful to paint with

Edited by gregg136
Title
  • Like 12

Welcome to the world of Blitzbuilding Gregg if we get Luke involved would this be the  first Father and both son's GB? Still like my Tamiya paint's

but trying Valejjo silver's for mine.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Gregg

I can't recall you being in a Blitzbuild before so you are especially welcome, best of luck.

Cheers Pat

Thanks Pat, it should be fun. I can normally rattle off a 1:48 over a weekend so this shouldn’t be too taxing. *touch wood*

• Like 2

Morning everyone…

its time

5430D4AB-4CB8-4415-A237-CF4F8E04FC60

The plan is to just crack on as much as I can this morning until the Belgian GP starts later today.

Entertainment will be provided by We Have Ways of Making you talk, nourishment is a sausage sandwich and copious amounts of tea.

• Like 2

3F9A4106-EC23-4234-8C31-143260F51710

Afternoon,

kettles boiled and there’s a cup of Yorkshires finest ready to be drunk so 
It’s time for the final stint. I’m hopefully going to get this wrapped up in the next few hours. 

I’m starting to think about what else I can stick together. 

• Like 1

Another hour in so lets see where we’re at.

FB635A4C-847B-4F3C-882D-71BB0B1E828F AB28C312-A682-4653-896A-8C13DA4451C4

As you can see she’s all marked up. I really wasn’t impressed with the decals for this. Far too thick and the excess film has caused problems despite being glossed beforehand.

Luckily this is a Japanese plane so I can at least hide the silvering behind weathering when I finally get around to that part. There’s still some touch ups needed and the lower fuel tank putting on but it’s about 85% of the way there. 

It has shown me one thing though, 1:72 is just too small. I’ll stick with 48 scale +.

• Like 4

Another hour by so let’s see where we are now.

Prop is done and on, drop tank too as is the wing armaments. The silvering is now annoying the living @£$* out of me. As you may be able to tell the inner gun put up a fight so it’ll inevitably snap once I go near it. Luckily the ailing on them is sparse so if push comes to shove, some sprue will cover it. To her an the framing and wreathing/hiding of the errors this about another hour away from being done.

4637D00C-75A4-4142-9BE6-EE56A11828AD

4BBAC326-EF66-4617-A46A-9A633D7F474F

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

And that is it now done, finally calling it done at 7:30 tonight. So with the 2:42 and 2:46 from tonight that brings it in at just shy of 5 and a half hours. 

All in all it’s not a bad kit, it’s nice to do something bog standard and simple after doing a few bigger builds and being able to see the progress (rather than 3 hours on a cockpit that is completely buried by fuselage.)

The only Downside is the decals, they’re not the best and when I inevitably get another of their kits (I need a Dauntless to go with the rest of the air group) I’ll have to get some proper decal solutions. I still think it’s because I spent a day b*tching about how thin the Airfix “Katy” ones are. 

So that’s my first Blitzbuild done, and first build on here since the Sherman in 2020. 

Thanks for looking. 

8B54C828-C2FF-420D-B050-A6D2938D4281

69400B29-26C0-4E69-8F68-3426F60C8B79

91C65EF6-1CFF-4034-BBEA-2E45402388CF

• Like 10

• gregg136 changed the title to The Clock counts down to (Academy’s 1/72) ZERO - Finished!