Airfix 'Four-Stroke Engine'

I recently finished the old Airfix 'Four-Stroke Engine'. This model requires quite a bit of work if you want to build it properly. The parts really show their age, but with careful work, a nice model results. The model gives the impression that the kit designers or the mould makers did not always know what they were trying to portray; some details do not make sense. I'm happy that I made a careful study of the colours that would suit the model, I'm really happy with the end result.

fourstroke-47.jpg

fourstroke-48.jpg

fourstroke-49.jpg

More here: https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/fourstroke.htm

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie
  • Like 24

Really, really great work there, Rob!  I love this and other model engine kits...could you provide a link to the Renwall/Revell Visible V-8 that you cited as inspiration?  Thank you.

Edited by Misfitnick

7 hours ago, Misfitnick said:

Really, really great work there, Rob!  I love this and other model engine kits...could you provide a link to the Renwall/Revell Visible V-8 that you cited as inspiration?  Thank you.

Thanks! That mention of Sapper's Renwall/Revell Visible V-8 was a bit of an error, it's shown on another forum, that one has to subscribe to. So I removed that part of the text in my original posting. That V8 was a momental build though, with lots of improvements to make it work.

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

3 hours ago, TonyW said:

That is a very nice model Rob.

The build link is well worth a look. The finished model looks so clean and simple, a read of the build thread shows the amount of work needed to achieve that.

Thanks! Yes, it was a lot of work. I could have cut some corners, I can see that now it's done, but you don't know that when you're halfway.

Rob

3 hours ago, JeroenS said:

That's very nice Rob. Your cutouts are very neatly done. 

Thanks! The cutouts are a nice way to make a 'visible' engine. I studied the Renwal/Revell V8 a bit, to see whether one could build that the same way, instead of relying on the clear plastic. But I think it's not really possible, a V-8 has so many parts, that hide each other if painted.

Rob

1 minute ago, Ngantek said:

Fantastic result, this is a styrene model kit!? It looks beautifully sharp and metallic to me!

Thanks! I used several 'steel' colours, but I think Humbrol Metalcote 27003 Polished Steel is the best by far. Except that it rubs off bare plastic after some handling, I would recommend a primer underneath,

BTW, you're not the only one fooled - I filled the base with plastic of paris, so it feel rather heavy. When I showed it at our club meeting, and handed over the model for up-close study, there were lots of puzzled faces - what's this? Hardly anyone knows this rather obscure Airfix kit, that 'helps' too.

Here are some photos of the plastic parts without paint.

fourstroke-01.jpg

fourstroke-03.jpg

Rob

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Thats great, I think your solution of the block mounting flange is exactly correct.

A nice touch would be to add a fuel tank and throttle lever.

Thanks, and nice that you spotted the flange modification! I considered adding short pieces of throttle and choke cables to the carburettor, but ran out of steam. I also thought of making the base a fuel tank, but the same problem. I'm so glad it's done 🙂

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Rob, great to see this one done and dusted. Looks good. I've just had a look at your link, and I see that you mention that in the magneto section you've 'never seen bolts like these', so you filled the slots. 😕 Those would be Airfix's attempt to portray locking screws,  I'd say. The nut part is separate to the slotted part (which is the head of a screw),  and is used to lock the screw at a certain position. Why they're used here,  I haven't a clue -  the ignition timing is adjusted by rotating the whole plate,  which is then simply locked in place by tightening the nut. The only thing that comes to mind is that the plate also needs to move in and out for another adjustment, which would mean that the screw has a shoulder on it (behind the plate, where it can't be seen on the kit) to act as an adjustable spacer for the plate. (?) Weirder things have been done in mechanical engineering... 

However,  there's every chance that at some point during its life the screws were replaced with bolts -  the ears of the screw head tend to fatigue and break off after much use,  usually due to incorrect tools and technique, so don't despair that you've made a booboo.  :D

Those locking screws are found in different areas of engines, most commonly IME on the valve lash adjusters of overhead valve engines, but I've seen them in other places too. (Trying to find a shareable photo,  but they're all in places I can't share. Regardless,  I'm sure you get the idea.)

I must echo your sentiment about the designers lack of subject knowledge - it really does appear that they didn't know what they were doing (sadly). Still, great work, and the wee engine looks like it could just about chug to life. I haven't found one yet,  but I'm still looking. 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 12:42 AM, Rob G said:

Hi Rob, great to see this one done and dusted. Looks good. I've just had a look at your link, and I see that you mention that in the magneto section you've 'never seen bolts like these', so you filled the slots. 😕 Those would be Airfix's attempt to portray locking screws,  I'd say. The nut part is separate to the slotted part (which is the head of a screw),  and is used to lock the screw at a certain position. Why they're used here,  I haven't a

[snip]

I must echo your sentiment about the designers lack of subject knowledge - it really does appear that they didn't know what they were doing (sadly). Still, great work, and the wee engine looks like it could just about chug to life. I haven't found one yet,  but I'm still looking. 

Thanks for your explanation! Indeed the magneto bolts/screws look like valve adjusters, but with the screw driven deep inside the nut. I hadn't looked at them this way.

Rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2022 at 11:33, Rob de Bie said:

This model requires quite a bit of work if you want to build it properly.

Indeed, I read the build report.  Very interesting research and problem solving.

It also convinced me the one I got from the school jumble sale a few years ago is not for me.....   

And also takes me back to the days of browsing the Airfix annual catalogue in the mid 70's and the oddball items they had made models of... 

which many years later have me reading a detailed build of a kit i never thought much about....

cheers and

:goodjob:

21 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Indeed, I read the build report.  Very interesting research and problem solving.

It also convinced me the one I got from the school jumble sale a few years ago is not for me.....   

And also takes me back to the days of browsing the Airfix annual catalogue in the mid 70's and the oddball items they had made models of... 

which many years later have me reading a detailed build of a kit i never thought much about....

cheers and

I'm sorry to hear that my build report was discouraging 🙂 But I'm sure you'll be able to find a new owner, I've read several postings of modellers trying to find one.

Talking about discouraging: try to find a good build report of the old Renwal / Revell 'Visible V8'.. It's chockful of problems. Compared to that, the Airfix kit is fantastic!

Rob

• Like 1